The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture Pilot 1.5 Released

Paul2660

As the review states, but should have been in the header, Don't install this if you use the adhoc connection to connect to the IQ2 back.

This version makes it worse, no telling when "another" fix will come out.

No way to get back 1.4 of Capture Pilot unless you are lucky enough to still have it in your apps backup and did not sync over it yet as I did.

Great catch by CI

Paul

yatlee

Has anyone get it to work on IOS 7 and IQ2 Adhoc? I still couldn't connect and got a incompatible server error message.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Folks

Follow the capture integration link in Paul's initial post.

Retina display - there's an option for this.

Link errors are covered too.

Basically, don't use it on ios7 with adhoc yet.

Paul2660

The respect retina was in the older version also. With VR 1.4 I don't think even with this enabled you get the best resolution from the larger retina iPad display. I assumed this was a carry over feature from VR 1.4 it may be better now.

I based my opinion on the fact the with VR 1.4 respect retina on makes a little difference but you still don't see the images locking in as crisp as the should. This version may have improved on that but until they fix the screw up on the adhoc connection I won't be able to use it.

With VR 1.4 and respect retina on, I feel to get the best/ sharpest view you need to minimize the view a bit squeezing it down with fingers a bit.

Paul

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

And a 'Reverse Thumbnail Order' slider which several people here have been asking for.
This is the frustrating aspect of the latest release because I really would like to use this but the broken adhoc wifi frustrates that for now. I'm pleased that Phase One listened regarding this capability.

Hmm, maybe I should try it with my MiFi personal hotspot ...

MILESF

Graham,

My personal MiFi device works perfectly. No SIM card, no carrier subscription, no adhoc connection, needed.

Paul2660

MiFi, But don't these need some form of a carrier i.e. AT&T? So you have to have usages issues if no service is available? I would love to learn more about this option if it's non-carrier dependent. The airport works well to but it needs A/C power.

Paul

MILESF

Paul, I've posted on this before so apologies to anyone reading this second time. I bought a ZTE 'dongle' in Antalya where I spend quite a lot of time every summer. For use there I buy a pre-pay SIM card that works really well over 3G.

When I got the IQ260 and had problems with the adhoc connection between back and iPad I tried the dongle in the UK. By then the prepay had run out and it won't work outside Italy in any case and it works just fine.

So it just sits in my pocket or bag. Battery life is good too. I'm away from home but look through previous posts where I gave the model number. But if this one works then I assume others should work as well. It cost 59 Euros.

GrahamWelland

Thank you Miles. I have a Telstra prepay MiFi that is spare that I'll give a whirl. The good news of course is that these are small and the battery lasts a long time and if necessary I can easily recharge it using a self contained battery cell phone charger.

I'm on the road at the moment so I may update one of iPads and try with my regular Verizon mifi too.

Whilst it's not as convenient as adhoc, I can live with this until they fix things.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
iOS7.0.2, our IQ260 running 5.10.1 firmware and an iPhone 4s with Capture Pilot 1.5.

This combination worked fine adhoc when we tested it, no hacks or special settings required. We're deluged with IQ250 stuff right now, but our support team should have time soon to test broader combinations (e.g. iOS v7.0.4, iPhone 5, iPad Mini, iPad etc).

The only issue I saw was reconnecting when the phone went to sleep - especially if there was another wifi network set to auto-join.

Reverse sort is great. Much smarter - as was suggested by many people (here included).

Edit: as you might expect from the CI post our further testing has shown continued significant issues with adhoc with many iOS+Device combos. P1 has acknowledged these adhoc issues and indicates a fix should be available soon.

Last edited:

JoshBooth.CI

There wasn't any new updates regarding Retina resolutions. The current method uses pixel-doubling to account for the retina resolution, which accounts for some of the softness of the image previews (there also isn't any pre-sharpening applied before sending the previews when connected to the back directly - compared to connecting to Capture One). Sending full-size retina-ready previews would require sending significantly more data and potentially hurt device performance.

The Adhoc issue seems mostly isolated to iPads running iOS 7. I was able to fire up my iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.4 without any issues to an IQ260 right away. This most likely has to do with the programming iOS differences between major devices such as iPads vs iPhones. While it may seem like all iOS7 installs are alike, there are unique builds for each device configuration.

As I mentioned in the blog post, I could usually get the iPad to work if I first connected to Capture Pilot with my iPhone, then connected with my iPad. While only one device can access the actual server at a time, simply having the iPhone see the servers seemed to help. If the iPad went sleep, however, it needed the iPhone to connect again.

In the mean time, we're keeping an eye on this issue and working closely with Phase One. Contact us or check out our blog for updates!

JoshBooth.CI

The Adhoc issue seems mostly isolated to iPads running iOS 7. I was able to fire up my iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.4 without any issues to an IQ260 right away. This most likely has to do with the programming iOS differences between major devices such as iPads vs iPhones. While it may seem like all iOS7 installs are alike, there are unique builds for each device configuration.

As I mentioned in the blog post, I could usually get the iOS7 iPad to work over adhoc if I first connected to Capture Pilot with my iPhone, then connected with my iPad. While only one device can access the actual server at a time, simply having the iPhone see the servers seemed to help. If the iPad went sleep, however, it needed the iPhone to connect again.

In the mean time, we're keeping an eye on this issue and working closely with Phase One. Contact us or check out our blog for updates!

Paul2660

Exactly. The iPad is seen different in the iOS networking setup. Simple thing to test, and should have been before release. With the iPad unless you are working with a powered device like the airport, it's all about adhoc. In the field an airport is not really an option.

Note the app is still out there as 1.5 and will still ask users to update.

When you consider the amount of area between the iPhone and the IQ LCD is about the same the phone is giving much less versatility. iPad use is a lot more important in regards to WIFI to me.

Let's see now iOS 7 was out for developers in March of 2013,..... iOS went live late October early November. 2013...... And we are well into 2014 and not able to really use this app anywhere to full design. Bit disappointing.

Paul

sc_john

When you consider the amount of area between the iPhone and the IQ LCD is about the same the phone is giving much less versatility. iPad use is a lot more important in regards to WIFI to me.

Let's see now iOS 7 was out for developers in March of 2013,..... iOS went live late October early November. 2013...... And we are well into 2014 and not able to really use this app anywhere to full design. Bit disappointing.

Paul
Shhh. The marketing guys don't appear to be aware of the problem, and you don't want to confuse them (with the facts). But they do seem to agree on the larger screen of the iPad...

From Phase One Web Site - IQ2 Digital Back Features:
"Review wirelessly
The larger screen of the iPad can make it easier to judge composition and the focus of an image. Thanks to the wireless connectivity in the IQ2 digital back, you can review and select images on the fly with an iPad running Capture Pilot."

"Remote control
The IQ2 digital backs have built-in high performance Wi-Fi and antennas, and you can connect your iPad or iPhone to it wirelessly…"

"Travel light, go wireless
Combine the wireless capabilities of an IQ2 digital back and iPad to get all the essential tools to capture and review great images anywhere."

I purchased an IQ260 vs a really good deal on IQ160 in part because of the wireless capability. Love the files, love the back, but disappointed in actual wireless capability vs marketing speak.

John