The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ250 Live View, how it stacks up

hcubell

Thanks for this work. Three questions. First, did you try the Live View out in the field in lower light? Second, how does the Live View compare with, for example, the Live View on the Sony A7R? Third, what degree of magnification can you achieve on the LCD screen?

Steve Hendrix

Thanks for this work. Three questions. First, did you try the Live View out in the field in lower light? Second, how does the Live View compare with, for example, the Live View on the Sony A7R? Third, what degree of magnification can you achieve on the LCD screen?
Hi Howard -

Thanks for the request for more info. We'll have more details tomorrow. We don't have a Sony A7R on hand (I don't think), but we can certainly compare it to at least Canon 5D, etc. And performance in daylite, etc, is forthcoming.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Zac Henderson

Hi Howard,

We did test live view in a real world low light scenario, and were very impressed with results. This test will be published soon and covered in depth. As Steve mentioned, the outdoor live view testing is forthcoming, but from early results using live view in highlighted areas appears to be much less of a, if not entirely eliminated, issue.

As Steve mentioned, we do not have a Sony A7R readily available to compare with, but after sampling a 5D Mk III's live view capabilities through the camera body as well as through Capture One software, I must say that the IQ 250 stacks up surprisingly well. The large sensor of the IQ 250 does render the live view somewhat slower than the 5D Mark III, but negligibly so in terms of active use.

As on other IQ backs, it is possible to use Live View to check up to 400% magnification, and with little to no sacrifice in performance/refresh rate.

Hope this info helps!

Don Libby

Zac, Steve & Dave

If Christine hasn't sent back the A7r we loaned her for Asia then you do have one to use as a test. Go ahead and use it. We do need it returned by the end of next week.....

Don

Steve Hendrix

Zac, Steve & Dave

If Christine hasn't sent back the A7r we loaned her for Asia then you do have one to use as a test. Go ahead and use it. We do need it returned by the end of next week.....

Don

Ok awesome. We'll have to pry it from her....

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

hcubell

Hi Howard -

Thanks for the request for more info. We'll have more details tomorrow. We don't have a Sony A7R on hand (I don't think), but we can certainly compare it to at least Canon 5D, etc. And performance in daylite, etc, is forthcoming.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Thanks, Steve. Looks promising.

Don Libby

I have this vision on scratch marks from Christine fighting to keep it jus a little while longer :shocked:

Oh and if you want to send the 250 out along with it that's okay. I'll take it out to the desert and see how it holds up. Maybe take it sightseeing to the Grand Canyon. :bugeyes:

Pemihan

Hey Zac, welcome to the forum and to Anthony too!

Peter

Hi Howard,

We did test live view in a real world low light scenario, and were very impressed with results. This test will be published soon and covered in depth. As Steve mentioned, the outdoor live view testing is forthcoming, but from early results using live view in highlighted areas appears to be much less of a, if not entirely eliminated, issue.

As Steve mentioned, we do not have a Sony A7R readily available to compare with, but after sampling a 5D Mk III's live view capabilities through the camera body as well as through Capture One software, I must say that the IQ 250 stacks up surprisingly well. The large sensor of the IQ 250 does render the live view somewhat slower than the 5D Mark III, but negligibly so in terms of active use.

As on other IQ backs, it is possible to use Live View to check up to 400% magnification, and with little to no sacrifice in performance/refresh rate.

Hope this info helps!

jlm

Workshop Member
regarding 400% magnification: how can this be useful? wouldn't the real information at 400% be every 4th sensor dot?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
John,

Just a guess, but the dots on these displays are getting way too small to see. On a Retina Macbook Pro, I find 200% useful for pixel peeping, and I never did that before.

Best,

Matt