The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S2 vs Tech Camera

pesto

As a former 4X5 shooter, I am finding that I miss the involvement with the "process" with respect to my Leica S2 and have been seriously considering relieving myself of the Leica, heretical thought though that may be, in favor of a technical camera, the absence of a dark cloth and loupe not withstanding. Given that I have no close photographic friends to chat with I worry that I may well end up much as did Aesop's dog and his reflection and have come here in hope of some rational and helpful insight.
Although the S2 reliably produces beautiful, high quality images, it often feels like little more than a snap shot camera from a users perspective; clearly the ultimate goal is to produce the best images possible, but as an amateur the experience has value as well. My critique is not of the S2 but more so of myself and my obsolescent cravings.
I wonder if I am alone on this or if others have had similar misgivings. I am primarily a landscape and occasional architectural photographer and have a more than adequate Canon system for when I wish to work fast.
It would be helpful to hear if anyone has any thoughts to share on this topic before I make a move that I may well regret, dropping my bone as it were..humm,perhaps that may be a bit more Freudian than what I had in mind :facesmack:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Douglas...I've also been on the journey of discovering the best solutions for my photography. So far, the best systems for me are the combination of tech cam and MF DSLR. The tech cam is more challenging and you may find it is very entertaining to use. It takes me a long time to start to appreciate the IQ especially on the wide side. The most enjoyable part is "challenging" as I feel the tech cam always has a lot of rooms to grow.
Renting is not enough as you may not find out right away you like it, lots of sunrise/sunset you will miss. It will take months. Just buy a body with one lens and learn how to use it. It's nothing like 4x5 either and you may be frustrated the same as I did as liveview (before the IQ250) does not work as well.
PL-Don't buy IQ250 (limitation of movement, that's why you want to buy tech cam, and the uncertainty that color of CMOS would be as good). I would wait for the next generations. The P1 IQ 140, 160, 260 are much better choices. I used to own the IQ180 but I've found out the IQ260 is much more enjoyable to use (long exposure and less LCC) although I've always missed the IQ180 with DSLR.
Although I am far from being expert, please email me any time. I can tell you a lot what could go wrong :)

Best
Pramote

Last edited:

f8orbust

Coming from 4x5, and now in the age of the CMOS sensor (just!) - giving us True Live View (TLV), which in turn affords the possibility of an experience similar to that you've exerienced with large format film - I would think long and hard about which system to buy into today for two reasons:

1. Focussing

There are basically three pancake-style cameras in use with MFDBs today: A/S RM3d/i, the Alpa 12 series, and the Cambo WRS.

The A/S RM3d/i is a remarkable camera, engineered from the ground up to solve one principle problem - that of repeatedly focussing a view-camera lens accurately. It does this admirably - nothing else comes close to be honest. However, the focus pitch on the RM3d/i is so fine, that - as with groundglass focussing - with TLV it will be more of a hindrance than a help (unless some sort of TLV with focus masking is invented). With TLV, the RM3d/i essentially becomes a solution looking for a problem.

The same could be said of the HPF rings on Alpa's, but since many of the Alpa's can be shot hand-held, they still have a role if that's your shooting style. Plus, the system as a whole (or, at least, a significant part of it) isn't designed around the issue of focussing.

Cambo has no fine-focus system. With TLV this isn't a problem - the focus pitch of the Schneider and R/S helicals is fine for nailing focus via live view. N.B. You can attach HPF rings to some lenses in Cambo mounts.

2. Movements

All three popular pancake-style camera systems from A/S, Alpa and Cambo have rise/fall (to varying degrees) and some form of tilt/swing available, but for tilt/swing in particular it's a real mixed bag. Tilt or swing (but not both simultaneously) on all lenses with the RM3d/i; tilt or swing with some lenses on the Alpa, tilt and swing with some other lenses on the Alpa, no tilt or swing with some lenses on the Alpa; tilt and swing with some lenses on the Cambo, on other lenses with the Cambo, neither. The positioning of the tilt/swing/focus controls on all of these sytems do not fall (naturally) to hand when looking at the DB screen - unlike tilt/swing/focus on a view camera - the latter of which were obviously positioned in order to be operated with the user looking at the rear of the camera.

This is why, with one eye on the future, I would look long and hard at the A/S ML-2 and Linhof Techno. With TLV, these (albeit tripod-based - but you say you shoot landscape, so that's not an issue) cameras will come into their own and will give you far, far more flexibility - in terms of tilt/swing/rise/fall/shift than any of the current crop of pancake-style cameras. TLV on an ML-2 or Techno will get you really close to the functionality of a LF view camera with controls for swing, tilt, rise/fall and focus that naturally fall to hand whilst observing the screen of the DB - no contorted reaching round the front to fiddle with a helical and small knobs whilst keeping one eye on the screen of the DB.

So … if your work demands shooting from a tripod, and you're buying for the next few years, I'd get a Linhof Techno for outdoors/studio or an ML-2 (or perhaps M679cs) for studio only - with TLV these cameras will really start to sing. That said, even today they can hum a pretty neat tune, regardless of whatever is attached to the rear.

Jim

Digitalcameraman

As a former 4X5 shooter, I am finding that I miss the involvement with the "process" with respect to my Leica S2 and have been seriously considering relieving myself of the Leica, heretical thought though that may be, in favor of a technical camera, the absence of a dark cloth and loupe not withstanding. Given that I have no close photographic friends to chat with I worry that I may well end up much as did Aesop's dog and his reflection and have come here in hope of some rational and helpful insight.
Although the S2 reliably produces beautiful, high quality images, it often feels like little more than a snap shot camera from a users perspective; clearly the ultimate goal is to produce the best images possible, but as an amateur the experience has value as well. My critique is not of the S2 but more so of myself and my obsolescent cravings.
I wonder if I am alone on this or if others have had similar misgivings. I am primarily a landscape and occasional architectural photographer and have a more than adequate Canon system for when I wish to work fast.
It would be helpful to hear if anyone has any thoughts to share on this topic before I make a move that I may well regret, dropping my bone as it were..humm,perhaps that may be a bit more Freudian than what I had in mind :facesmack:

Hi Doug,

How you been?

I currently have a Cambo RS system with ground glass and loupe set, 28mm HR Rodenstock, 70mm TS Rodenstock, Phase One IQ260 Digital system, and would be more than glad to show you how it compares to your current capture system. I also have other lenses we can discuss but it will give you a real sense of how the system works from setup, exposure, processing.

I will take you thru the workflow, creating LCC files and applying them to your RAW files and processing , just like you did with your previous Phase One P40+ system.

I also be glad to share with you a collection of images created with tech cameras and medium format backs from Phase One, Leaf, and Hasselblad.

Chris Snipes
Business Development Manager
Calumet Photo
1001 N Federal Hwy
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
[email protected]
813-335-2473 Cell

Digitalcameraman

Douglas...I've also been on the journey of discovering the best solutions for my photography. So far, the best systems for me are the combination of tech cam and MF DSLR. The tech cam is more challenging and you may find it is very entertaining to use. It takes me a long time to appreciate the IQ especially on the wide side. The most enjoyable part is "challenging" as I feel the tech cam always has a lot of rooms to grow.
Renting is not enough as you may not find out right away you like it, lots of sunrise/sunset you will miss. It will take months. Just buy a body with one lens and see practice. It's nothing like 4x5 either and you may frustrated the same as I did as liveview does not work as well.
PL-Don't buy IQ250 (limitation of movement and it's still uncertain the color of CMOS would be as good). The P1 IQ 140, 160, 260 are much better choices. I used to own the IQ180 but I've found out the IQ260 is much more enjoyable to use (long exposure and less color LCC) although I've always missed the IQ180 with DSLR.

Best
Pramote

Pramote is right, how you been Pramote?

Doug,

Pramote has so much experience with just about every lens on many different backs. He also has the Df+ system you also owned and can help you understand how the Tech camera produces images that are frankly, on the next level. He has also owned both the older and newer generation of Cambo Tech cameras and can really shed some light on the benefits each have.

You will not be disappointed with the increase of image contract, texture, and edge sharpness when you see the files.

Chris Snipes
Business Development Manager
Calumet Photo
1001 N Federal Hwy
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
[email protected]
813-335-2473 Cell

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
These are all great responses to Doug.

I would add that there is a big difference when shooting with a technical camera as it is closer to the 4x5 contemplative approach to subjects and opportunities and as involving as LF shooting too if you want it to be. I've taken to using my ground glass on the Alpa a lot more and if you want that head under the dark cloth experience then it's an option too. However, the smaller ground glass of MF digital is a LOT smaller and finicky compared to 4x5 as you may remember it.

I would agree that you need to try it for a while to decide what moves you. Capture Integration runs some great workshop events where you can shoot for several days with technical camera systems and backs (GetDPI too). These are a good way to get hands on in the field with as much or little instruction/support as you want. They are also a LOT cheaper than jumping in and deciding later that it's not for you after all - and admittedly it isn't for everyone. :thumbs:

Don Libby

I remember when I first discovered the WRS. Within a couple months I sold all my Mamiya gear including body and lenses and shoot exclusively with the WRS before adding. M9 which lasted less than 2 years. I now have the best of both worlds shooting both a DF and WRS by just switching the back.

I remember looking at the S2 when they were first released then it hit me that it's a closed system, meaning there's no way I could remove the back to place on another system. That in in self killed the idea.

As much as you like the S2 the only option is to rent a system which in itself may be a great way to try all the various types of tech cameras and digital back out there.

Don

Ken_R

The Leica S / S2 is a SLR Digital Camera. A really good one but its an SLR. If that is what you want / need then I would look into it. A technical camera system is much closer to what a 4x5 is. They can provide a lot of lens options and movements (front and rear). Best to work with a dealer. I use DT in NY. (sponsor of this site)

A

.:Aleph:.

The Leica S / S2 is a SLR Digital Camera. A really good one but its an SLR. If that is what you want / need then I would look into it. A technical camera system is much closer to what a 4x5 is. They can provide a lot of lens options and movements (front and rear). Best to work with a dealer. I use DT in NY. (sponsor of this site)

You make it seem as if 4 cm × 5 cm and a technical camera are not one and the same. They can not be. But they also can be.

fotografz

Why did you buy the S camera in the first place? How extensive is your S kit?

How do you use the S now? Do you use lighting? If not, why?

What is at the core of your misgivings about jettisoning the S kit in favor of a totally different type set-up? You have admitted to these misgivings, what are they?

IMO, creative needs come first, then the gear is fitted to that as well as possible.

Most any system can be as simple or as complex to use as we want it to be. The S system can be expanded to meet other needs. For a while, I did exactly that using the H to S adapter and some Hasselblad H options … in your case the HTS/1.5 Tilt-Shift adapter may be of interest. Here's my report on it:

S2 and HTS/1.5

The above is somewhat limited, and won't compare to a full blown tech system with a big bad digital back, but brings additional functionality to what you already have, and can revert to the DSLR form when needed.

I'm of the school that if you go for T/S control, a rear standard is mandatory … The folks at Dale have explored the S on an Arca Swiss 6X9 to good effect:

Arca Swiss 6x9

view camera adapter for S2?

Perhaps contacting David Farkas at Dale can shed further light on any progress they made in this direction?

All said, nothing will produce results like a good tech camera with the best optics available using the right MFD back … and you most certainly will be engaged in the process … a labor intense process I engaged in with a Rollie Xact-2 and Hasselblad mega back using a sliding ground glass adapter … which now sits gathering dust due to changing photographic interests … so, I should just sell it.

If I has sold a S2 kit to get the above, I would have regretted it no end … mostly because I probably couldn't get back into the S system financially these days. That is something to keep firmly in mind IMO.

- Marc

torger

Technical camera shooting process is the sole reason I started with MF. Image quality is important, but if it had only been about that I would have shoot my landscapes with a D800E or Sony A7r which I think reaches an adequate quality level and resolution.

So you're not alone that think the enjoyment of the shooting process is important. I wanted to shoot large format with movements and all, but not mess with film. Tech cam is then the answer.

There are many tech cameras out there though and not all are as enjoyable to shoot with I think. Some have rather limited movements.

I also find "silly" things like 4:3 sensor format, symmetrical distortion free lenses and large image circles to be important for the enjoyment of the process. I hate to stitch, which I think is a destroyer of shooting process enjoyment, the carefully with movements framed one shot image is my thing. The LCC part is a bit of a turnoff in terms of process, but I've learned to live with that and I'm no longer disturbed by it. Accepting LCC is what makes the great large format optical designs possible.

I use a Linhof Techno which is basically a scaled down 4x5" field camera. I have a thorough review of it on the net if you're interested. The challenge with it is ground glass focusing, if you can cope with that you have a very flexible package, which is quite economical too if you want many lenses thanks to low cost lens mount. A multi-lens also becomes lighter and more compact than many of the alternatives.

I have six lenses in my system and want 2-3 more. Being able to use a suitable focal length instead of having to crop or compromise perspective is for me also an important part of the enjoyment of the shooting process. I do crop quite often though like going from 4:3 to 5:4 (especially in portrait mode) or doing some minor adjustment in framing, but I'm generally very close to the finished product right there on the ground glass when sliding in the back and pressing the shutter, and that's important for me.

As soon as I start with huge cropping or stitching I feel "why don't I just get a stitching head and a D800E", I've done some stitching work with a proper head and DSLR and it's very effective, high res, reproject perspective to simulate movements etc, but far from as organic and enjoyable to work with as with the one-shot perfectly framed image out in the field.

torger

Back tilt has been dropped in field tech cameras. The Linhof Techno does not have it either. The reason is that to keep the high level of parallelism that these smaller formats require in a light compact camera it's very difficult to have tilt/swing both front and back.

It's less important with back tilt in landscape than in product shoots. If you happen to need it occassionally you can achieve it by tilting the camera up the desired amount, tilt lens to level and shift the back up. The Techno have an extra bubble level to help out in this process. Too cumbersome if you use it often like in product shoots, but okay if you use it occassionally in landscape. So I would not worry about missing back tilt. In the studio though, I would want to have a full-featured view camera with movements of front and back like an Arca-Swiss M-Line or Linhof M679.

As an amateur enjoyment of the hobby comes first. If having the "wrong" gear in terms of quality or creativity or whatever still makes shooting more fun, it's the right gear for you.

RVB

This is an option,and of course Sinar is now owned by Leica,so can can expect further integration..

torger

This is an option,and of course Sinar is now owned by Leica,so can can expect further integration..
Those options are nice for the studio but not very practical in the field. Heavy to carry and slow to set up as you may need to split the body in order to pack it. Light in the landscape is a fleeing opportunity, so having a reasonably speedy setup process is important I think. I have a friend that actually uses a Sinar 4x5" with digital back to shoot some occassional landscape, but he does not do it often due to that it's a bit too cumbersome to bring and set up.

RVB

Those options are nice for the studio but not very practical in the field. Heavy to carry and slow to set up as you may need to split the body in order to pack it. Light in the landscape is a fleeing opportunity, so having a reasonably speedy setup process is important I think. I have a friend that actually uses a Sinar 4x5" with digital back to shoot some occassional landscape, but he does not do it often due to that it's a bit too cumbersome to bring and set up.
True,it's no lightweight ....

RVB

"It would be helpful to hear if anyone has any thoughts to share on this topic before I make a move that I may well regret, dropping my bone as it were..humm,perhaps that may be a bit more Freudian than what I had in mind "

I have also thought about trying a tech cam,but would be very reluctant to sell my S gear, One reason is the glass is excellent and the body feels like a 5Dmk3,which makes it quite unique compared to the other medium format system's (Pentax is also light but I believe no leaf shutters)

The other is that the S glass keeps getting more expensive and buying back in would be tough.

Have you considered keeping your S gear and selling the canon to buy a used P45 and tech cam..??

Rob

alajuela

There are many fine answers here about the “joys” of the process with a TECH camera whatever brand.
The complete process will not be the same as a 4X5 ground glass, BUT if you like to compose images, then this is a close to heaven you will get in a portable set up.
It is easy to get lost in the process of capture for its own sake; I find this truly a joy, regardless if the image is “print worthy”., that is a separate chapter.

Only you know if you have to sell your fine S2. hope not.

My advice is, if you can afford it, then you owe it to yourself. Tech is GREAT !!!

PS. Although not as portable as a TECH a F Metric A/S is also very cool!!

Last edited:

Paratom

Hi,
before I owned the S I had a Sinar 33MP back with a Hy6 and with an Sinar Artec.
I enjoyed using the Artec when I used it but I didnt use it very often, and I also liked the Hy6 but I saw various advantages of the S (for my use) and couldnt justify the S AND a tech cam+digital back.

If we talk pure IQ I believe Leica offers such nice wides that the difference in IQ caused by the lens alone shouldnt be the point any more.
The S has the advantage that it is weather proof and quite portable, I bring it in a backpack and can carry it for some hours.

I would lie if I said I would not miss the process of using a techn camera sometimes. But I believe that if I have enough time to setup a tech cam and if I do this as a non-proffessional I can also do the REAL thing and use large format for those occasions.
My plan is to use 5x7 and to mostly do analog contacts plus, and I even plan to eventually get into wetplates for some things.

So my suggestion: if you liked 4x5 why you dont keep the S and add a 4x5.

On the other side why not rent a tech cam as others suggested, and check it out.
Only you know which photos you take how often and which camera works best and which you enjoy most.