The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cleaning Accessory Question

jvora

Hello :

Don't exactly know where to post his question but still went ahead and posted it here as ( 1. ) I visit this section the most and ( 2. ) Know that the collective experience/knowledge of all here is perhaps second to none thus know that I would receive the best possible advice/replies -

I just came across the following post on fstoppers.com ( How To Clean Dust Off Your DSLR Sensor: Sensor Gel Stick | Fstoppers ) and am wondering what you all think of this Sensor Cleaning Product.

Sensor dirty accumulation is really an issue for my Cameras as the air ( except in the monsoons ) is always laden with tons of dust particles ( Am based out of India ).

I do use the Wet Method and I get ok results ( sometimes after consuming a lot of supplies and time ), but if this new method is safe, I would gladly relegate the Wet Method for this "dry" method.

My questions are as follows :

1. Has any one used this product ? If yes, what kind of results are you getting ?
2. How safe would this gel method be on/for a sensor ?
3. Does this Method leave a residue on the sensor ?
4. As there is a bit of a tug force being placed on the sensor when the Gel Wand is pulled away from the sensor, would this damage the "sensor shake mechanism" ? This last questions refers to dslr's.

I look forward to your thought and experiences on the above.

Thanks,

Jai

gerald.d

For me, this is a great tool for use in the field when I notice some spots on the sensor immediately prior to, or during, a shooting session.

I don't use it for a "full" sensor clean though.

Paul2660

I have not tried this, but saw the initial write up on it in 2013. At that time there was no link to order it, thanks for that.

I would have no hesitation to use on a Nikon or Canon sensor, however for a Phase One, I still prefer the method of using the Leaf cleaning cloth with the phase one B solution, clear one, not the blue. Never yet had enough problems that the B and one pass with the Phase One plastic tab worked fine on.

However most times a couple of bursts from a Rocket blower get the job done.

Paul

schuster

Memo: Add to Phase One Wish List... integrated sensor cleaner along the lines of those that work well in SLRs.

jvora

Hello Paul -

Why would you be comfortable to use the Get Stick for DSLR's and not MF Sensors - Any particular reasons ?

Thanks,

Jai

I would have no hesitation to use on a Nikon or Canon sensor, however for a Phase One, I still prefer the method of using the Leaf cleaning cloth ...

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Not really a new product. This has been around for several years and is used by the camera manufacturers. I remember seeing a Leica factory visit video a while back where they used a very similar cleaner (Pentax O-ICK1?) I've tried it and it works well enough but for a MFDB the pad is pretty small and would require a fair number of clean up spots.

The important thing to remember about sensors is that you don't get to clean the sensor at all - you're cleaning the UV/IR/anti-aliasing glass filter that sits on top. I suppose it's better to pick up vs slide any dust/grit across the glass.

I also prefer to just use a rocket blower, or if that fails I use my visible dust static brush set up. If that isn't enough it's out with the Phase One cleaning fluid and Leaf pads on the plastic spatula. (The leaf vs phase and other cloths seem to shed less btw).

Last edited:

Paul2660

Jai,

That's a good question, I should have addressed, but Graham, pretty much answered it.

My main reasons:

1. Cost of scale of an error. If I screw up a Nikon or Fuji etc. I can cover it, maybe no tomorrow, but within a couple of months. If I screw up a Phase One, then even though I have insurance on the back, you just created a possible never ended nightmare. Even though I have insurance, I have yet to find an underwriter who can understand by a "camera" costs 40K. I just don't have the confidence of using it on my Phase One, unless my dealer or Phase One states it's OK. I know I may be overprotective, but it's that cost of scale thing again.

2. The fact that you can get to the sensor on the Phase/Credo etc. so much easier. I have no issues about using a wet clean on my back, I understand the process and have done it enough that I am confident I won't damage anything. I have only need the A solution one time, that was on my P45+ that had gotten oil on the sensor from the focal plane shutter of the Mamiya AFDII I was using at the time. As Graham points out, the Leaf cloth tends not to get hung up as much on the sides. It's easy to get a single fiber caught up around the border of the sensor mount. In fact my 260 came back from Phase One this way, fiber was 1/2" long and took me 30 minutes to dislodge.

3. Most times, a couple of blows from the Rocket blower takes care of it. Using a tech camera, you will see a lot more trash get inside the camera and on the sensor. I have tried both versions of Visible Dust's blower that costs about 6x more, but even the newer version still doesn't produce enough air to really do much good IMO.

The device you listed is great for a DSLR since you have to get down inside the cavity of the camera, and it seems that it will work great on corners, by far the hardest place to work.

I have ordered one and again thanks for the link.

Paul Caldwell

jvora

Hello Graham & Paul :

Thanks for the replies - I am glad to learn, now from multiple sources, that this or a similar product is used by Lecia, Nikon, Canon, etc. This indeed does instill confidence in this product.

I so wish, in my case, a blower would do the job - Even in an Air-Conditioned environment I am unable to clean the sensor cleanly - In fact, perhaps due to the amount of dust particles in the air, many a times I end up with more particles on the sensor than before with a blower : (

Graham's point of picking up the particle with such a devise being a better approach than sliding particles across the sensor makes a lot of sense - Good point !!

( Just to clarify, when I wrote sensor I did not mean the "sensor" itself as I do understand there is IR/AA glass filter covering it - I meant in the general terms, the sensor as a whole with IR/AA filter ).

Any thoughts on my concern about the pulling and the tension that is created when the gel wand is lifted off the sensor - Any chances that this would damage the "shake-mechanism" of a dslr sensor ?

Lastly, I understand that the size of the gel is quite small when compared to a MF Sensor, but if there is a large sized gel wand made that would cover a MF Sensor in 3 to 4 tries, would that change your thoughts on using the larger sized product on a MF Sensor ?

The points Paul mentions about the depth of reaching a dslr's sensor is a real issue, which luckily is not the case for the MF format. Like yourself, I too tend to lean on the cautious side of the fence, so it would be great to get a "go-ahead" from Phase1. Hassy, etc. - As I do not know anyone at the manufactures, would any of the dealers selling MF Backs who frequent this forum want to share their opinions, I sure would want to learn their perspectives.

I realize to some extent this topic of cleaning sensors is rather boring and one that has been gone over and over during the past years, but noting the environment I mainly find myself in, it does severely affect my cameras, workflow and approach to image creating, thus the many questions.

Thanks for replying and being patient with me !

Jai

Last edited:

johnnygoesdigital

First, gentle air (do not blow into sensor other than a hand blower). Use E wipes for sensors and Pec Pads for lenses. E wipes are designed to be used in one direction per side to keep from dragging previously picked up dirt across sensor. Folded, these can be used four times. Photographic solutions also makes the longer sticks with a pad already attached, just add cleaning solution and remember to only use one side per swipe. These can reach into the cameras sensor quite easily. Most Pro's I know use these products for cameras.

Here's a link... Cleaning Digital Sensors, Cleaning Digital Cameras - Photographic Solutions, Inc. - Digital & Photographic Cleaning Solutions - Photographic Solutions

jvora

Hello Johnny :

Thanks for the link - I do use a similar product by "Visible Dust" for the Wet Method - But before any of that I do use a Rocket Blower .

Although the Wet Method is effective, it is time consuming and specially so when used for Full Frame DSLR's as is almost no room to maneuver the wand - WIth the Cropped Sensor Cameras, there is some space so the edges of the sensor can be cleaned properly. This at least has been my experience.

Seems like the Gel Wand not completely replace the Wet Method, but seems a lot quicker and perhaps more easier !

Thanks,

Jai