The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New H-BLAD/Sony A99 camera

jduncan

kipling

I'm pretty sure it's cameras like this that keep Hasselblad alive, so who cares.
No disrespect intended, but there are a lot of very wealthy people out there that don't want black cameras, or cameras that look like they were made 40 years ago. Actually there are a lot of people out there that don't want anything that even resembles "normal" or "working class".

I bet if they came out with a platinum plated A7r with the last Rhinoceros skin as a leather grip for 100k, they'd sell out in less than a hour.

If they had put the 50 megapixel CMOS sensor in this body or made it a tiny bit bigger and used that sensor and sold it for approx $15,000 and you could use th H mount lenses at 50mpx and these sony/zeiss lenses with something like a 36 mpix crop, whatever smaller size that covers the smaller lens circle, true focus and on sensor focus as well. With high quality 60p @1080, 24p, 30p 4k video thrown in. That would be a REALLY nice camera option. Hell, they could charge $17,000-$25,000 for that.

jonoslack

Who cares? Hassy's not stupid. They know the average photographer knows exactly what it and the Lunar, etc., are. They and Sony aren't after that crowd.

They want folks who, as Quentin described, care far more for style, name recognition and having something different vs. the rest of their like-minded circle of friends vs. value and actually taking pictures. They could care less what sits inside the premium materials exterior - they're only going to take web-sized Instagram-esque jpegs anyway. Maybe 1/10 of 1% of these bodies will ever be set to RAW capture or have images see the inside of CS_.
I don't think Quentin said anything like this.
"Nobody with all that bread got it by being weak in the head"
The A99 is a fine camera - no question.
The assumption that people who are happy to spend an extra 8 grand on a badge and an aluminium top are stupid is Erm - stupid. I wouldn't dream of it, but then I'm not one if those millionaires of whom Quentin speaks. I'd guess that there will be many fine photographers who are happy to pay a few bob extra ( in their terms ) for a classier body ( in their terms).

The ones buying this camera will most probably not even look for another lens :D
Hi Peter
I think it's rash to assume that people with lots of money aren't interested in photography

PS I think it's deeply ugly, but then that isn't quite the point.

mbn

Compared to one of the leica M9 special editions, it's quite a bargain.;)
It's just the most obvious way to tell us that they want our best, our cash.
After all that's every companies goal.

Sell a few of these "elite" and you will make profit pretty quick.
They didn't put much effort into design or manufacturing these bodies.
Of course, you will kill the brands reputation with such behavior.

Time will tell if the CEO kills Hasselblad with such strategies, and needs to move on to the next abandoned company. Or if the brand can take such hits, and survive.

pedro39photo

my god...what a shame...
If Victor could see the present "image" and the products of the Hasselblad...

Its no more about photo cameras and tools, its PhotoJewels cameras...so so sad...

hcubell

bpepz

Hasselblad, if your listening, which you probably are not, here is what the Hasselblad HV SHOULD of been.

If you are going to re-badge a sony camera, at least do it right. Heck, you won't even have to change that much. Take a Sony A7R, have it come with special focal reducer made just for Hasselblad HC lenses and allow adapter to use AF and leaf shutter. Hasselblad keeps forgetting its H lenses are outstandingly good. Everyone always complains they are made by Fuji and not Ziess, but honestly I vastly prefer the Fuji "look". It is one of the reason I got a Fuji GX680.

Of course you could add some other features like true focus, and in body image stabilization, but just being able to use the H lenses with leaf shutter on a smaller, cheaper body would be amazing. I don't care how expensive the lenses are, the leaf shutter, sharpness, and unique look make up for it. combined with a specially made focal reducer just for H lenses, it would be an outstanding system.

Quentin_Bargate

To be clear, I'm not buying it :rolleyes:

But I can imagine many who will. Probably not forum regulars, but it's not targeted at us or other serious photographers. It belongs on the back seat of a Bugatti, or stuffed in a Versace bag.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I doubt that there will be more of these "Elite Super Cameras" from Hassy. This one was probably a model that they had spent so much money on before Mr. Hansen's departure that they need to get some return on their investment. Basing luxury cameras on models from Sony, a company known to change standards at will, is a very dangerous path to go down. If Sony decide that the A-mount is unprofitable and cancel the whole line, what will Hasselblad's next hyper camera be based on?

The whole concept of of Hasselblad's reputation is consistency. Since 1957, they've offered 3 camera families plus the X-Pan, and two of them look so similar that only those with good knowledge of cameras would see the difference. It's like Louis Vuitton and Rolex (and Leica), that both make the same boring designs that they've made since the beginning of time. Would anybody buy a Rolex that is really a Seiko but for a Rolex price since the strap is made from lizard eyelids? Hardly.

Ignorant rich people mostly know what is valuable, and those trying to cheat on them rarely survive for long. But again, I'm quite sure this is the last Hansen Vainglorious we'll see from Hasselblad, so no worries

PSon

To be fair to Victor Hasselblad, when he was alive and in charge of Hasselblad he did not want his camera to be a luxury item but an actual working camera. Victor was a good sport, he invited Rollei in a friendly photography contest despite they were great competitors. He was a man with class. In many ways the Hasselblad of yesterday is not the same Hasselblad of today. We face a time of changing and many companies are faced with great challenges. If you are not innovative you must be creative to live. It is hard to judge other since we are not always right and perhaps they may not always be wrong.

Last edited:

JonMo

This camera will look great on the passenger seat of a exterior chromed Mercedes on the streets of Dubai! :)

All-Chromed Mercedes McLaren SLR spotted in Dubai, UAE | It

These are for people who feel required to flaunt their wealth to the masses.

I would assume there are not many of them fall into the category of photographers on GetDPI...............unless a servant does it for them.

Apologizes in advance to any Emirate princes currently on the forum.

pophoto

To be clear, I'm not buying it :rolleyes:

But I can imagine many who will. Probably not forum regulars, but it's not targeted at us or other serious photographers. It belongs on the back seat of a Bugatti, or stuffed in a Versace bag.
Clearly if I had money to burn, this will be on my list, it does look good, but because I don't the Sony brand cameras will have to suffice ;p

EH21

There will be those who buy this and I'm betting now that they will convince themselves and tell their friends that the innards are somehow better than the Sony a99.

ondebanks

Victor would think "Is the gold plate really necessary? But at least it's still an actual Hasselblad 500 C camera, my creation, as good and as functional as any other".

He would not think "My company pimped a Kowa Six, quadrupled the price, and put MY name on it?!!"

Ditto - it's still a real Leica camera, so he'd think....well copy and paste what I said about Victor and replace Kowa Six with, I dunno, something like Yashica J.

I don't object to the blinging of cameras. I do object to the notion that this re-skinning transforms them into something they're not.

Ray