The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider Digitar 60XL / Rodie 32 HR - Centerfilter?

Pemihan

Does the new Apo-Digitar 60XL needs Centerfilter?
Schneider makes the Centerfilter IIH for it but does it really need it?

And what about the Rodie 32 HR?

Thanks
Peter

anGy

I was using the 32mm HR with my IQ180 and never felt the need to use a center filter with it. It was kind of mandatory with the Schneider digitar 35mm but I feel it is totally possible to work without one for the 32mm. For single shots I like the vignetting effect, for sticking shots removing a bit of vignetting in C1 helps Photoshop to assemble the pictures and results are smooth with low noise levels.

Paul2660

I have the SK60 with the center filter on. 60 MP back. On center you really don't need it but as this lens will shift up to 25mm horizontally I use the CF as it helps balance out the extremes shifts. In low light I have no issues with taking the CF off on the 60 to help with shutter speed when required. 25mm with very little loss of color/sat or detail smearing. An amazing lens.

I have shot the 32 and while the light fall off is not as bad as the 28 Rod I felt the CF helped on the noise in the corners. If you are planning to shift it I think the CF would be beneficial.

Paul

Last edited:

etrump

HR32 can be used without the centerfilter with LCC corrections but you will have more noise in the corrected area. If no noise is a must, consider the CF a must but you will lose 2-1/2 stops

jagsiva

Have both with CF. The CF on the 32 is a monster and makes the already beast of a lens humongous! Both lenses are usable without CF. I do find that when I am flat stitching and in particular if using ND's the CFs help and make things more fool proof

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have the SK60 with the center filter on. 60 MP back. On center you really don't need it but as this lens will shift up to 25mm horizontally I use the CF as it helps balance out the extremes shifts. In low light I have no issues with taking the CF off on the 60 to help with shutter speed when required. 25mm with very little loss of color/sat to detail smearing. An amazing lens.

I have shot the 32 and while the light fall off us not as bad as the 28 Rod I felt the CF helped on the noise in the corners. If you are planning to shift it I think the CF would be beneficial.

Paul

Paul from memory it's more about light falloff than a color cast issue. Speaking of the 60

Paul2660

Guy, thanks for the catch.

I got a bit sloppy on that post, I meant to say neither color cast or detail smearing on the 60mm.

Paul

Last edited:

jvora

Hello All :

Sort of a related question -

For lenses where CF Filters are mostly a must, why don't the manufactures just incorporate such an element in the lens itself ?

Jai

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy,

I got a bit sloppy on that post, I meant to say neither color cast or detail smearing on the 60mm.

Paul
No problem my friend I just wanted to make sure for your sake. I have been here many times and I know I like to be corrected.

Pemihan

Thank you very much all..

I have ordered one of the very last remaining Leaf Aptus-II 10 and will see how my SK35XL and 47SL performs before deciding if I should get the 32 HR and 60XL instead.

I do a lot of flat stitching so I guess I will get them both with Centerfilter if I go that route.

Normally the 35XL and 47XL should be ok, but I mainly do high contrast B&W which makes issues like centerfold lines and small variations of the sensor readout really visible with these lenses, so if I go for the 32 HR and 60XL instead my hope is that these issues will be reduced if not vanish.

Peter

Last edited:

torger

For lenses where CF Filters are mostly a must, why don't the manufactures just incorporate such an element in the lens itself ?
Because it's a factor dependent on sensors, and future sensors may not have the same need. If we get the photo sites up to the surface of the sensor there will be less pixel vignetting and thus less color cast and general DR falloff. Combine that with increased overall DR then center filter would not be necessary.

Development concerning pixel vignetting / angular response has unfortunately gone backwards rather than forward. The reason is that with smaller pixel sizes pixel vignetting gets worse, and having a high number of megapixels is more important for MF sales than having low color cast. With some luck this can change though, with new manufacturing techniques where you put the photo site on top of the wiring instead of below it.

I just hope this happens before patience is lost in tech cam space and the current symmetrical and weak retrofocus designs are discontinued and replaced with strong retrofocus designs as used in SLR cameras and the smaller mirrorless formats.

anGy

Normally the 35XL and 47XL should be ok, but I mainly do high contrast B&W which makes issues like centerfold lines and small variations of the sensor readout really visible with these lenses, so if I go for the 32 HR and 60XL instead my hope is that these issues will be reduced if not vanish.

Peter
By the way, there is a beautiful Rodie 32 HR on sale in the buy & sell section :angel::angel::angel:

Paul2660

anGy

My heart skipped a few beats when I saw it there the other day, but then I saw Cambo mount. Looks like a gem and well priced indeed.

Paul

anGy

A real gem it is, and quite rare in 2nd hand. It was the perfect IQ180 compadre. Now that my IQ180 is sold and that I've put the Rodie on sale I also have the opportunity to spend a photo holiday in California... life is funny sometimes...

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Peter...Congratulations on a new back!
I've been using Schneider Digitar 60mm XL with IQ260/(IQ180)/P25+ for a while without a need for CF in most situations.
The Rodie HRS 23mm, Rodie HRW 40mm, Schneider 60mm XL and Rodie HR 100mm are my work horses.
Please let me know the IQ difference between with and w/o CF.

Pramote

Pemihan

Thanks Pramote...
I'm still testing my 35XL and 47XL before I decide if I should get the Rodie 32HR and SK60XL.
If I do get them I will order both with CF and let you know the differences in IQ with and without it.

Peter

I've been using Schneider Digitar 60mm XL with IQ260/(IQ180)/P25+ for a while without a need for CF in most situations.
The Rodie HRS 23mm, Rodie HRW 40mm, Schneider 60mm XL and Rodie HR 100mm are my work horses.

Pramote

Pemihan

Pramote,

I actually ended up with a IQ160 and as such got the 40HR instead.
Fabulous lens and as far as I know there's no CF for it nor does it need one..!

Next up will probably be the SK60XL.

Peter

Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Pramote,

I actually ended up with a IQ160 and as such got the 40HR instead.
Fabulous lens and as far as I know there's no CF for it nor does it need one..!

Next up will probably be the SK60XL.

Peter
Peter,

Congrats!! I think the IQ160 is the best choice for tech cam if you don't need super long exposure.
I agree the 40 HR is a fantastic lens and does not generally require a CF, saving a couple of f-stop and several hundred $$.

The SK60XL is also remarkable with a huge image circle.

Can't wait to see your landscape work with your new gears!

Pramote

Pemihan

Thanks Pramote!

Peter,

Congrats!! I think the IQ160 is the best choice for tech cam if you don't need super long exposure.
I agree the 40 HR is a fantastic lens and does not generally require a CF, saving a couple of f-stop and several hundred $$.

The SK60XL is also remarkable with a huge image circle.

Can't wait to see your landscape work with your new gears!

Pramote