The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf AptusII-12 damaged...advice?

shlomi

I don't understand why you would not have breakage insurance for such an item.
You can get an Aptus 12 today for $18000.
So, $15000 is total loss.
With a good lawyer your insurance would have paid.

In any case, I've recently moved from Aptus 12 to Credo 80, and it is much nicer (but in my case the insurance paid for it...)

I think, for a back like this, you must make sure to have both constant warranty and full insurance including breakage and theft/robbery coverage for all the places it will ever be in.

How much did they charge you for the upgrade?

Egor

I don't understand why you would not have breakage insurance for such an item.
I am not very bright, shlomi

You can get an Aptus 12 today for $18000.
So, $15000 is total loss.
With a good lawyer your insurance would have paid.
Actually, I can get an Aptus 12 or even an IQ180 for less than that. You wouldn't believe the deal I could have had on a P65 :)
I haven't pursued any legal action against my insurance agent, I don't trust lawyers or the court system for stuff like this....I am pressuring the old fashioned American way...I have threatened to pull all insurance policies (multiple homes, businesses, automobiles, whole and term life, HC for my family and employees...etc) away from him if they don't help me on this. Thats actually a sizable chunk of change so we shall see...:)
Like I stated earlier: I really didn't know there were policies for breakage out there. I have built a very successful business over decades self insured for breakage.

In any case, I've recently moved from Aptus 12 to Credo 80, and it is much nicer (but in my case the insurance paid for it...)
Good For you!:banghead:
Tell me how its going, since thats the same transition I am about to make, I really am interested! :)

I think, for a back like this, you must make sure to have both constant warranty and full insurance including breakage and theft/robbery coverage for all the places it will ever be in.
I have, since this happened, researched better insurance that covers breakage and the like and purchased some.

How much did they charge you for the upgrade?
Make you a deal: You tell me who insures you and how much you pay and what is covered, and I will tell you :angel:

Suffice to say that it was "an offer I couldn't refuse" and feel well cared for by my dealer.;)

shlomi

If you want to know about Credo/Aptus then you can email me:
shlomibe at gmail.com

My insurer is in Israel, so I don't think it can be useful for you.

Egor

Thanks, Shlomi,
I was just trying to be funny, I wasn't going to tell you what deal I got. Not gonna do it...wouldnt be prudent ;)
I'm dumb but not that dumb.
I may be dumb about insurance....but if you are a major manufacturer and need about 600 sku's of new product shot, color corrected, masked out, and up on your website in a matter of a few days....you may want to hold onto my number. When it comes to doing stuff like that, I'm Einstein :D

Last edited:

Egor

EPILOGUE:
So its been a week or so since the decision was made to go for the deal on a new Credo-80 system and it arrived yesterday!
We could not be more happy with this new camera (DF+) and back (Credo-80)
This thing is sooooo much nicer than our AptusII-12 in almost every concievable way.
-Primarily it appears to be built better (way better) it especially lacks the easy to release "quick-release" feature from the Mamiya that the AptusII had :facesmack:
-no connection issues whatsoever (The Aptus made us build an hour or more into each day for "issues" usually related to connection), We shot for 8 hours straight today with it and not one "issue" not once!
-the touchscreen controls are easy to understand and accessible,
-Live View is better and the DF+ makes it so we dont have to walk over to the camera and change settings every shot just for the LV. I CAN NOT OVER_EMPHASIZE HOW HUGE THAT IS for tethered shooting and control with stylists. I dont know why more people havent brought that point up about the DF+
-IQ appears better but that may be just our exuberance (its the same sensor after all)

In any case, I want to thank my dealer, Lance Schad at Digital Transitions, as well as the Mamiya/Leaf support of Ziv, Francis, and Yair for making this happen for us. Thank you, guys, really!:salute:

We will be putting this rig thru many paces in the weeks to come, macro work of medical instruments, art-repro of huge paintings using it on our P2 and sliding back, dramatic shoe shots and food, food and more food...Am looking forward to it now instead of dreading the usual fight between the tech and the vision thing.

Yes, my assistant has "requested" a second Credo-40 kit as backup...I told him "I have something in my eye" while pointing to it with middle finger :ROTFL:

At least I have really really really good insurance now
Peace

e

shlomi

IQ is always different between generations, even though they never mention it for some reason.
Noise and color response are not the same - I've compared directly with Aptus 12.
Aptus has a problem of sometimes giving incorrect colors for certain hues, this seems to have gone completely. It gave me a lot of problems with some painters which demanded the exact same color which was impossible to get on some blue-greens of Aptus.
Also it's more light sensitive, meaning the same light and ISO will give a brighter picture.

synn

IQ is always different between generations, even though they never mention it for some reason.
Noise and color response are not the same - I've compared directly with Aptus 12.
Aptus has a problem of sometimes giving incorrect colors for certain hues, this seems to have gone completely. It gave me a lot of problems with some painters which demanded the exact same color which was impossible to get on some blue-greens of Aptus.
Also it's more light sensitive, meaning the same light and ISO will give a brighter picture.
Hi, that's a very interesting point.

What are your thoughts about the color profiles between the Aptus and the Credo? Do you notice any differences?

shlomi

Yes, of course there are differences.
In Aptus, you will get dramatically different results from different profiles.
In Credo, the results are much closer together, clearly because there are less deviations in color interpretation.

Egor

Shlomi, I am inclined to agree with you about color from the new Credo over the Aptus.
One artist we do repro work for specializes in landscapes that are heavily weighted toward blues and cyans and infinite shades in between. He is very picky and although the Aptus was huge step up from the DSLR's, scan backs, and drum scans we used to do, he was still finding fault with the blue/green interpretations rendered by the Aptus.
Painting shot today and he says we nailed it 1st time. A new record for us with this artist!
It also seems to nail certain warm taupe colors on footwear better as well, whereas before we always had to remove magenta in selective color.

shlomi

It isn't just blue/greens, there are a lot of mid-tones and colors between colors, such that are not present in daily objects, but some artists can have a tendency to use the exact colors that Aptus is just incapable of handling correctly. I've had many shoots where for every picture I needed to go through all the color profiles hoping to find one that comes close.

It is one of the biggest issues that exist with Aptus, yet Leaf refuse to talk about it. I've tried several times to show them, but they were not interested. I assume they knew very well what I was talking about, and had their roadmap to fix it in Credo. In the meantime it definitely hurt my business and I had several artists complain about colors which did not represent their work correctly, and I lost their business and those who knew them.

I believe that current Credo color is pretty much the IQ color.

Egor

One thing I have discovered is that they changed the battery and charger for the new Credo!
Just posted my old AptusII-12 batteries and charger kit on Buy/Sell here if anyone out there has an AptusII-12 or other back that takes the same batteries, let me know! (I make you good deal, my friend ;)

Last edited: