The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

William Carr - Superb

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Throwing the lemmings is fine; just don't leave the bodies/skeletons in the frame where generations of future photographers will have to either photoshop them out or (better) make them an additional creative element in the scene. :ROTFL:

Charles Wood

Or leave film wrappers on the ground....like the Velvia 120 wrapper I found inside a rock formation at Valley of Fire, NV, last week.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Charles: AGREED! Ditto polaroid chemistry & wrappers that I came across in DV recently.

Cigarette butts (which I DETEST!!!) I can blame on the public - photographic detritus is even more unforgivable.

alajuela

Shot with a Leica M8 and a 12mm lens I believe. 2008

Hi Guy

Much more important than an overhyped guy with who is more creative with "back-stories" than images, -- IS what 12mm did you use?

For some reason as I have gotten older :eek: I have gravitated towards wides.

Thanks so much

Phil

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lol

Its a Voightlander 12mm. Its one of those iconic places to shoot. Its a shame I did not have more Mpx in that shot. Have to say it was a very rare trip as it snowed the day we arrived for the workshop and most folks only had M8 been there twice since but never with snow. It's also a bad place to shoot as there usually too many people there.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Ex-employees tend to spill the beans, particularly if they're angry ex-employees. Let's just say the offenders weren't Rotella or Wolfe.

As for ending this thread, it was only a suggestion as it seemed to be a pile-on over something that was of far less significance than building a fire under Delicate Arch.
I know Lough pretty well, and he even does all of his own post work. So who does that leave?

I'm not sure ex employees are very reliable, sounds more like office rumors started by disgruntled employees. Most wouldn't be in a position to know, and if disgruntled they could do some serious damage to their former employer if they really knew this for a fact and could prove it so why wouldn't they? Seems there are some pretty serious legal implications passing someone else's work off as your own (Milli Vanilli)

I have heard that one photographer paid a pretty large sum to get one of the malls to choose him instead of someone else as the mall was being built, but that's sort of SOP. Maybe not ethical, but welcome to the world of high end retail landlords.

I know we are trying to lighten this thread up, but personally I find this accusation is pretty out of place.

alajuela

Phil, unfortunately, the older I get, the wider I get...
Lol

Its a Voightlander 12mm. Its one of those iconic places to shoot. Its a shame I did not have more Mpx in that shot. Have to say it was a very rare trip as it snowed the day we arrived for the workshop and most folks only had M8 been there twice since but never with snow. It's also a bad place to shoot as there usually too many people there.
Hi Guy

Thanks

I assume that with the 12mm - we are talking either tripod, or great technique, to stay spot on, 100% parallel to the subject plane. Did you have any color caste, thinking about the X-pro 1

And for the above tip; I offer you this one - iTunes -- Chet Atkins - "The day finger pickers took over the world" :chug:

Phil

Anders_HK

This has been an interesting thread to follow. Some here have been fairly vitriolic towards William Carr while others have tried to cut him a bit of slack. I'm not a close friend but I've known William Carr for a number of years. I've always found him to be cordial and friendly, and not arrogant in one on one conversations.

As others here have noted, Carr operates in Las Vegas, a market not known for good taste or elegance. It is a market that includes well-known photographic frauds, whose activities range from strong arming the competition to hiring photographers under NDAs to carry out assignments and then passing the work as their own. Carr, in spite of his over-the-top promotional DVD, exhibits some integrity.

Carr understood the demographics of the market he was moving into when he opened his gallery in Las Vegas and he acted accordingly. I suspect there are few of us on this forum that would have the guts,desire/ego or portfolios to financially survive in the Las Vegas market. What we might define as fine art work likely would not be visible above the visual noise and clutter of Las Vegas. Carr has simply chosen to play in an arena where hard ball is the rule.

It's probably time for Guy to end this thread.

Charles,

Your above seemingly nails who William Carr is and his photography.

Frankly, I fail to understand why a number of posters seemingly slash him over the video, and which in itself does not seem to create credibility to the views at same time shared. The video seems to me an American (exaggerated) marketing for an audience that is used to believing what they watch on TV, thus the video on such terms seem rather well made. It also cannot be easy in that market of having to produce renewed images for sales in such galleries, something I imagine Peter Lik must also be struggling with.

Actually, I for one liked the video and ignored most of the marketing and which is why I made the OP. The video made me simply keen to go out and shoot, which is similar to what I like about Peter Lik's videos.

Having further viewed images on William Carr's website I am not clear on the actual saturation in the originals. On his website many appear to radiate too much for my tastes. I personally do like color, but am of view that there needs to be subtle variation within an image and for the enhancement to come across as a believable.

Personally I believe that we should compare to some of the painted arts, since they have far more history in creating an illusion of reality in colors, hues and light than we do in digital processing.

Above said, because what appear at times radiant colors, I will maintain my favorite list in order of Ansel Adams, Peter Lik, Clyde Butcher, perhaps adding Jack Dykinga, with comment that William Carr do have some images I found very interesting. About Peter Lik, I saw his images in his gallery in Cairns, Australia in 2003 and they left me with a lasting deep impression. Since that time he has made quite a career in photography, perhaps of envy of many.

Best regards,
Anders

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Frankly, I fail to understand why a number of posters seemingly slash him over the video, and which in itself does not seem to create credibility to the views at same time shared. The video seems to me an American (exaggerated) marketing for an audience that is used to believing what they watch on TV, thus the video on such terms seem rather well made. It also cannot be easy in that market of having to produce renewed images for sales in such galleries, something I imagine Peter Lik must also must be struggling with.

Anders this is exactly what us Americans are objecting too. We DO NOT want to be viewed like some freaking marketing machine by our foreign friends. That is NOT who we are exceptions of course but I certainly don't want to be viewed like that and why all the Americans on this thread hate the ****ing thing. Besides that its a lie and Iwe do not want to viewed as some cheap trick marketing machine to make a buck. I certainly don't . My wife would kill me if I ever said half the boss ting he did. It's not the truth, I object to anyone not telling the truth. It's all a load of crap. We do not want to viewed like that as a nation. Now do you get it. TV is TV no one lives there lives like any bloody TV show ever produced.

malmac

Guy

I wonder if the name of the thread was changed to -

What is high quality photography and when does it become fine art?

Many of the good folk here may have brought to the table interesting views on what they think and feel.

I think Mr William Carr's video kicked off a potentially very worthwhile topic but the topic heading left little room for a positive long term discussion.

Too late now, but there you have it.

Mal

ZoranC

It's only now that I came across this thread and that video, and now that I managed to watch first minute of it I won't be commenting on what others already did, plenty has been said: I find video's opening with hand gliding over wheat field a rip off of opening for movie "Gladiator" and thus very "cheap" / cheesy.