The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Game changer? Pentax 645 II - 10k USD for 50Mpx CMOS, 3fps, ISO 200k+

Paul Spinnler

Hi guys,

so the news is out. Pentax delivers the same sensor as P1 in weather sealed package, 3fps, 100k OR 200k iso, live view, movie mode (this is amazing!!) for a mere 10k USD!

Does anyone also share the opinion that this puts the value proposition of P1 and Hassy to shame?

The only remaining "advantage" left seems to be tech cam readiness and wifi tethering?

I think this is truly game changing and revealing as to the incredible profit margins of P1...

Personally I am thinking of just buying a 645II as I am pretty much sure that even on a trade-in of my aptus I will get another insane quote from P1...

Regards

-P

SOURCE: http://translate.google.com/transla....impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140214_635195.html

VIA: photorumors.com

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Choice is a wonderful thing. I don't think that just comparing using 'tech cam readiness & tethering' really sufficient otherwise we're back to the A7r/D800e rat hole.

Shashin

Pentax is crazy that way. They feel that a modern DSLR should have the functions most modern DSLRs have. Preposterous.

mbn

Just looks to good to be true!:D
I'm more into the tech cam and don't even have/want a dslr body, but this pentax could help with the phase/hassy prices and features they are willing to offer in the future.

Paul Spinnler

The point is that P1 and Hassy only have their medium format market whereas Ricoh Pentax is a multi billion dollar conglomerate with some serious engineering, distribution and economies of scale advantage. No chance that P1, a formidable group of primarily well-paid danish engineers (yes, they own leaf and mamiya) can beat them in price/technology.

I just hope that the market forces will drive P1 / Hassy prices down as people realize that they're essentially paying a car on top for the same sensor in a different enclosure.

I am sure that P1 / H1 reps will quickly start to point out some marketing blabla advantages such as "superior color, smoother gradients, etc." but in the end it's the same sensor and people will hopefully see that and vote by skipping P1 / Hassy in favor of Pentax.

One can only dream of what will happen when one Sony camera executive realizes that they have some formidable medium format capability in-house that cries to be leveraged... for a bombastic market entry!

Shashin

Well, I hope people buy the camera they want. Whether that is Pentax, Phase, or Hasselblad. Each person will decide the relative merits of each system. Yes, price is important, but not the only factor.

f8orbust

Although I think Hasselblad will pitch their 'packaging' of Sony's sensor at $7.5 -$10k (?) less than Phase's 'packaging' of the same thing, I don't think either will reinvent their pricing structure as a result of the 645D v2. They've been operating the same 'reassuringly expensive' model for so long that they can't help but redo it at every product launch and watch the $ roll (trickle?) in. Sadly for them, like most economic models - especially where prosumer-grade electronics are concerned (even expensive ones) - it only has a finite lifespan - and this one is definitely entering old age. Justifying it ad nauseum by reference to custom sensor designs, R&D costs, dealer networks/relationships/postcards at Christmas yadayadayada is looking harder to do now more than it did even just a couple of years ago. The shonky DF+ body alone costs $6k, or $7.5k with the V-grip ... and yet Pentax can go all-in, sensor included plus a whole host of other stuff for $2.5k more. $2.5k - seriously?

Of course this still leaves the tech camera segment to them - but hang on a sec, the first CMOS sensor they release that would actually be of real use to that segment of the market doesn't look too wide-angle friendly, and it's 33x44. It's clearly one for the DSLR brigade … who don't really need live view unless they want to shoot movies ... which they can't becasue it doesn't support it. $35k, a CMOS sensor, live view and no movies, doh! - there goes the chance to shoot some 8k UHDTV footage. Oh, hang on a second, it looks like the 645D v2 does - anyone want to buy my IQ250*? Who'd have thought, a MFDB beginning to look strangely dated within just a couple of weeks of launching. Interesting times indeed.

Jim

*I don't have one, so please don't ask.

kdphotography

The first Pentax 645D didn't seem to have much impact on Phase or Hasselblad. So I doubt that a 645 II will be much different. Pentax will continue to offer a lot for the money but I don't think it will change much how Phase or Hasselblad operate, offering higher end systems for much higher prices. People are willing to pay a premium for what is perceived as a better overall system or a system that is just a better choice for a photographer.

At most, I think both Phase and Hassy offered lower entry feeder models/kits, and to that extent, more choices.

While low price can be an obvious factor/advantage to some, it may not be the deciding factor to others (e.g., detachable back, tech camera use, studio view camera, tethering capability, rental access, current investment in lenses, workflow, etc.).

I still think the Pentax 645D/II is an ugly camera, but for 10K I could grow to like it, maybe as a converted IR camera with live view....

:)

Paul Spinnler

The first Pentax 645D didn't seem to have much impact on Phase or Hasselblad. So I doubt that a 645 II will be much different. Pentax will continue to offer a lot for the money but I don't think it will change much how Phase or Hasselblad operate, offering higher end systems for much higher prices. People are willing to pay a premium for what is perceived as a better overall system or a system that is just a better choice for a photographer.

At most, I think both Phase and Hassy offered lower entry feeder models/kits, and to that extent, more choices.

While low price can be an obvious factor/advantage to some, it may not be the deciding factor to others (e.g., detachable back, tech camera use, studio view camera, tethering capability, rental access, current investment in lenses, workflow, etc.).

I still think the Pentx 645D/II is an ugly camera, but for 10K I could grow to like it, maybe as a converted IR camera with live view....

:)
Wow, a medium format IR camera with live view and movie mode!! :toocool:

Shashin

Well, things get a lot more complicated. Sure I could buy a Pentax 645D II for $10K, but I could into the Hasselbad system for the same $10K with the HV (AKA as a Sony a99) which comes with a really neat hard case.

Shashin

Well, I thought the Hasselblad H was one of the ugliest cameras ever made. I think the Lunar beats it. But few others.

kdphotography

Well, I guess we could add some wood handles onto the Pentax 645D/II.

But I wouldn't want to step on Hassy's toes.

I'll settle on using a paper bag.

:D

Paul Spinnler

Ok, but would anyone seriously pay 25k USD premium for a marginally better "look"? Even this is debatable, the 645D II doesn't look too bad imho.

25K difference! Phase one: lower your prices! iq250 for 13.9k might be a good way to start for example ...