The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portrait with techcam /

daf

I know some of you guys are shooting portrait with your techcam/db ... i'd like to explore this more but i 'm bit worry to point my disto into the eye of the model, how are you metering ? anyone using Leupold meter, and how accurate it is for close distance? does some of you use groundglass (like in film time with 8x10) ...

feel free to show some of your portrait using techcam:)

jlm

Workshop Member
leupold is very nice, but closest is 15'. good point about the eye and the laser, maybe measure from model to camera?

Frederic

leupold is very nice, but closest is 15'. good point about the eye and the laser, maybe measure from model to camera?
Exactly, this is what I do with the D5 distometer too.
Attached a recent example (rm3di+aptus II-7).

Shashin

How about a simple optical accessory rangefinder. You can find a bunch on ebay. But why do you need to point your laser rangefinder into the model's eye. There must be another point on the body you can measure safely.

narikin

This is something that will be easier with the IQ250 and 100% live view.
Shame they didn't put an EVF output port on it for that, though. Would be great with a Sony EVF at eye level.

daf

This is something that will be easier with the IQ250 and 100% live view.
Shame they didn't put an EVF output port on it for that, though. Would be great with a Sony EVF at eye level.

No, the idea is to try to get a different approch ... just like it used to be by using 8x10, you frame, focus, and then stay on the side of the camera to direct the model ...

Let see more pictures...

danlindberg

I have tried and it is pretty difficult, but at the very same time satisfying when you do nail it! This was shot with no viewfinder and focus set with a D5 on a piece of cardboard fastened on a thin flashtripod just beside the models head.

(posted before and hope nobody gets annoyed by that)

daf

Did you crop it? or did you put an extension?
I feel i could not get that closed with the 120mm but i'm on cambo ... i've seen the new 120 mount at my Alpa dealer, let say that a real improvement, with all marks like hpf ring on, and 1m as minimum focus distance...

darr

MEGUMI
Cooke PS945 | Arca Swiss 4x5" | Polaroid 55P/N

-

THOMAS
Cooke PS945 | Arca Swiss 4x5" | Polaroid 55P/N

Even though the above images were not made with a digital back, they were made with a tech cam using the same process I would use today with my ALPA Max and P45. I focus on the model's eyes, prepare the camera for the shot (employ film magazine/digital back), direct the model, cross my fingers :), and pull the trigger. It is much easier for me to shoot MF portraits with my RZ DII + P45 and the reason I have the RZ camera. But, I *love* my Cooke lens so much, I recently asked ALPA to send me a quote to make it work with my ALPA since I recently sold my last 4x5" camera. I have considered letting go of my tech cam gear, but I do love this lens so much, "it keeps me hanging on."

Uaiomex

Something retro. While making this girl's portrait with a Hasselblad 500CM I realized that the sitter was very much at ease sitting on the floor. I grabbed my 4X5 Tachihara with a SK 210 Apo-Symmar and took one shot with color negative and one with chrome. Around 4 years ago I scanned the negative (I think) with an Epson 4870. This image has no retouching of any kind with the exception of dusting and some beauty touches on her face. At high magnification I can some see newton rings.
Eduardo

Here are some shots from a couple days ago. Just starting to get back into fashion.

In general we are tethering when shooting portraits/fashion, so we can easily check focus. No disto, just guess and check. I've been doing it for quite a while now, so my initial guesses seem to be getting closer and closer.

All taken with:
Alpa Max
90mm HR
2 17mm Tilt Adapters
Profoto Lighting

All taken on tripod, except all black and white series handheld. Sometimes the out of focus pictures make the best photos ;)