The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Considering the HY6

Geoff

Started with WLF, and over time, have come to enjoy the 45º, probably for the lack of distractions. But the WLF is great for travel, and easy to change as well.

EH21

The 90 degree view finder does have the highest magnification 3.4x and is lighter weight than the 45 degree prism.
The 45 degree prism has 2.5x magnification and the lupe finder has 3x. Both the 90 deg and lupe finder have adjustable diopter correction, while the 45 degree prism requires corrective diopters fitted - though they are available for order.

I'm actually not sure of the power in the pop up magnifier in the WLF, but it may be the highest of all.

The 45 degree prism is the only finder that corrects for the L/R mirroring which is handy.

Marko, long ago the company offered a 90 degree prism finder for the 6000 series cameras. I probably have two of these in my used gear collection. I'll ask the factory if they can fit one of these to a Hy6 base mount. Who knows? Maybe it would work as a one off special?

I'm always interested to read the differences in personal preferences in the finders and am happy that all these options exist.

The 45 degree prism is the only finder that corrects for the L/R mirroring which is handy.

Marko, long ago the company offered a 90 degree prism finder for the 6000 series cameras. I probably have two of these in my used gear collection. I'll ask the factory if they can fit one of these to a Hy6 base mount. Who knows? Maybe it would work as a one off special?
You missed one, the 90 is L/R corrected too.

Something like that would be really interesting! My concerns are: does it have the same magnification as the current 90 degree finder? Is it long enough to clear the DB? If the answer to the above is 'yes', I'm all for it!

EH21

You missed one, the 90 is L/R corrected too.

Something like that would be really interesting! My concerns are: does it have the same magnification as the current 90 degree finder? Is it long enough to clear the DB? If the answer to the above is 'yes', I'm all for it!
Thanks Marko,
That's true! How could I have missed that? I don't personally use the 90 finder because I don't like the camera position, but I shoot mostly hand held.

I've written the factory to ask if a one off could be made with one of the older 90 prisms and am waiting to hear back.

I've written the factory to ask if a one off could be made with one of the older 90 prisms and am waiting to hear back.
Eric, thats great, thanks! Awaiting their response. On a side note, I did some Googling and found there exist a few Hasselblad prism finders which might be appropriate yet I know virtually nothing about and info is scarce, such as the HC-3/70 or RM-2. Based on images these might actually work, if adaptable. Does anyone have experience with these?

EH21

Eric, thats great, thanks! Awaiting their response. On a side note, I did some Googling and found there exist a few Hasselblad prism finders which might be appropriate yet I know virtually nothing about and info is scarce, such as the HC-3/70 or RM-2. Based on images these might actually work, if adaptable. Does anyone have experience with these?
It seems like if you have the base part, a lot of things can be made to work since its just a matter of getting the spacing right. There is a guy on ebay selling adapter frames for the rolleiflex TLRs that accepts hasselblad prisms so conceivably you could make something similar for the Hy6 to adapt V style finders - the coverage is nearly the same. Of course the Hy6 has the display on top where the V does not so it may or may not reach it all.

I did adapt one of the fancy hasselblad 4x4 loupes as a chimney finder a while back since it had higher power magnification but after all the work, I wasn't sure it was any better than the 3x schneider one Rollei offered.

ps - no word yet on whether the older 90's could be adapted

Indeed it should be possible in theory, I suppose it comes down to finding someone who could do it properly and which finder to use!