The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H3D DB adapter for Sinar P

hirok72

Hi, I am a newbie here. I found this forum on my way of the research for my MFD adventure. I am so happy to find such a informative forum.

I bought a second-hand H3D-39 a week ago. Right now I am wondering which adapter to pick up for the combination of my Sinar & H3D digital back.

The price difference between Kapture group and the others is big. I'm considering 3 options below:
Kapture Group
Hasselblad and Imacon digital back adapter solutions ($1695.00)

FotodioX
FotodioX Pro Hasselblad H Large Format 4x5 Adapter ($399.95)

From China
Moveable Adapter F Hasselblad H Back to Linhof Sinar Toyo Wista Horseman 4x5 | eBay (EUR 343.69)

Compared to Kapture Group's adapter, how are the other reliable? Also can you rotate the back to the vertical position with them? I emailed B&H and they said they are not sure. Please tell me your experiences. And if you know other solutions, please share your knowledge.

I am a Tokyo based stilllife photographer ( hirok.jp ). I have been working with 35mm and now making a big jump to MFD. I only have small experience with Sinar and Hasselblad back in the time when I was an assistant, so everything is very new to me.

I am also thinking to get Mamiya RZ67 for when I shoot stillife on location (rental stuio, etc), by the way.

Thank you,

FromJapan

Hi Hiro,

Nice work on your site.
I have an older KaptureGroup sliding back which is extremely well made. I used the Widepan earlier, and it isn't as good. I have no experience with the Fotodiox. You can find the KG adapter on eBay occasionally. If you are shooting tethered, you may find the "Live Video Adapter" from KG to be sufficient.

Kumar

hirok72

Hi Kumar, thank you for your comment!

I enjoyed beautiful photos on your website, while I was happy to see you are living in Japan as well. I did not imagine to hear from anyone in Japan. The price of KG's sliding back is high, but it is still lower than the one from Japanese company called D&A (Digital Arts Institute):
????????????????eco-digital.com

After hearing from you, I am now leaning more toward buying from KaptureGroup...

hirok72

Hello Kumar, thank you for your reply!

Glad to hear your experience with both KG and widepan. I will be shooting tethered, but unfortunately my back does not have live view function...

I am happy to hear someone also from Japan. Your photos on your website are beautiful. I did not imagine to see anyone residing in Japan on this forum. What a nice surprise!

Thanks again,

FromJapan

Thank you for the kind words.

If you're working tethered, you might find it easier to use a focus-shoot-check-refocus workflow using the monitor, rather than using a sliding back. I'm sending you a PM.

Cheers,
Kumar

FromJapan

Sinar used to make a sliding adapter that fits in place of the rear frame. The advantage is that tilts and swings are retained in the image plane. I made the mistake of selling mine.

Kumar

hirok72

Thank you so much, Kumar and mueller! I am happy to find such a informative place. All these info you gave is very important to me.

Sorry for such a late reply. I kept doing research for my sliding back, and on my way of doing so, I luckily found a used Phase One sliding back for H mount at Adorama's used department. It was very reasonable - about $400USD and $75 for international shipping to Japan. (I actually found used one at a local store here in Tokyo, but it cost more than $2000USD...)

Now I am waiting for the sliding back to arrive. When it arrives, I will post to report how it is. In the meanwhile, I will start finding lens for my sinar since I don't have any.

Thank you again, mueller and Kumar for helping me out!