The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help. Shooting Tethered.

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
I have decided I need to learn to shoot tethered but I have a problem. The Firewire (three pin) that comes with my P40+ is great, but I just changed out computers to a MacBook Air with no Firewire port and a MacMini that has a different size Firewire port.

Is there a connector that will allow me to use a USB socket and will that work?

kdphotography

Hi Vince,

You need to look at Firewire options for your P40+. There isn't "converter" for for FW to USB.

Of course, that shiny new Phase IQ series or Leaf Credo---both with USB3--- are calling your name...

:D

Seriously---lower end upgrade would be IQ140 or Leaf Credo 40, both with USB3. Then, look at tethering via USB3 to a Surface Pro 2. It really is a game changer.

Take a look: Microsoft’s Surface Pro 2: A Game Changer for Phase One IQ Series and Leaf Credo Medium Format Digital Backs | Kendoophotography's Blog

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
Actually I discovered that I had to get two cables from Apple, one a converter for Firewire 800/400 nine pin to six pin, and a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt. Just ordered. Hope it works...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Vincent, I strongly suggest against that.

Instead get the FW:Thunderbolt adapter an a fw800-fw400 cable.

Adding the additional connection/failure point of a fw800:400 adapter is very inadvisable. Especially since I've seen a large number of cheap or problematic such adapters.

I recommend the official Phase One FireWire 800:400 cable which you can find here:
Online Store

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
Thanks Doug!!! Probably should have just called you...
I will try it and see, worst case scenario I will spend the money for the Phase One cable...

On another front, what light meters under $500 should i be looking at?