The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AF points on the 645DF+

gebseng

Is it true that the 645DF+ with the latest 2.24 firmware has the left and right focus point disabled permanently?

The Mamiya Credo user guide 1.20 shows two ways to change AF behaviour:
- on page 17, they say that the Exposure Metering Mode Button doubles as the Focus Point Selection Button, but don't explain how to do that
- on page 71, they explain how to change AF point via the Credo menu. But changing the AF point there and then using C1 on the 645DF+ mode dial is not reflected in the AF icon on the cameras LCD screen.

very mysterious, or am I overlooking something?

geb

steve_cor

I have firmware 2.20. There was no mention of 2.24 affecting the autofocus point selections.

Push and hold the Metering Mode Button for a full second. Then you can change to the center autofocus point, either the left or right autofocus points, or all three together, which is called Multi Area Focus. With Multi Area Focus, the camera locks onto the object closest to the camera, in which case, the camera always seems to focus in the wrong place. To prevent this, I always choose the center autofocus point only. You can find it in this User Guide on page 30:

https://www.digitaltransitions.com/pdf/Credo_645DF_User_Guide_1.13.pdf

--Steve.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I was going to get my DF+ firmware updated a few weeks back (CI in Carmel event) and was told that there were two main issues that would manifest themselves if I did so:

1) Loss of ability to set rear button AF selection and MUP
2) Loss of left/right focus points.

I could have lived with #2 if the body/back combination has greater reliability but #1 was a deal breaker for me. I was recommended to wait for the next official release.

Btw, you might find this helpful (or at least explain things):
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15649&p=74918&hilit=focus+points#p74918

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
No big loss as the center one was the only one that worked (from time to time)
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I agree with Bob. If we were talking about multiple focus points spread about the frame further then it might have been a loss but they're so close anyway that little is lost vs focus/recompose anyway.

Other than trying the multiple focus points a while ago, I've always considered the DF/DF+ to be a single point AF camera. Ditto for metering.