The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Selling the S2 = stupidity?

Also, an eager rep once submerged a demo S2 and 70mm lens in water in front of me to prove its weather resistance. I nearly cried when he did it, but it came out perfect. Do that with the competition!
I can believe that, In some early article or interview, I recall reading that Leica engineers tested the S2's waterproofing in a dishwasher.

So what would be the cat equivalent?!
My first cat lived for 21 years, I don't think you're going to find anything comparable :)

fotografz

Marc, I accept your counter points except the one where you state its not 28k

Amazon.com: Leica S2-P 37.5MP Camera Body with 3-Inch LCD with Sapphire LCD Cover [BODY ONLY]: Camera & Photo

Anyway, Like I said, ultimate decision si up to owner not us.

And if money is not an issue, you can always get the Hassy version of the Sony A99 for 11k :)
Speaking of a "reality check" … only a neophyte would shell out $28K for a first gen camera when the second gen one is $22K (which one can get for less $ with a little shopping and bargaining):

Leica S Medium Format DSLR Camera (Body Only) 10803 B&H Photo

Your link is either an old forgotten ad or a "wishful thinking ad" from some retailer hoping to grift some unsuspecting soul with an in-stock, left-over S2P.

The S2P came with a platinum warranty that included hot-swap service, and perpetual service discounts … which Leica typically over-priced. P1 and Hasselblad offer the same type additional service contracts which also are not inexpensive.

I have the S2P which I bought 4 years ago, and I assure you I did not pay $28K then, and most certainly wouldn't do so now. I'd get the S (type 006) if I were buying today.

BTW, as mentioned by others, one of the chief benefits of the S2/S cameras is their dual shutter ability. All of my lenses are the CS type that provide sync speeds to 1/1000, or focal plane to 1/4000. It also can be used with Hasselblad HC/HCD leaf shutter lenses in either shutter mode, something you can't even do with a Hasselblad camera.

:)

- Marc

JorisV

BTW, as mentioned by others, one of the chief benefits of the S2/S cameras is their dual shutter ability. All of my lenses are the CS type that provide sync speeds to 1/1000, or focal plane to 1/4000. It also can be used with Hasselblad HC/HCD leaf shutter lenses in either shutter mode, something you can't even do with a Hasselblad camera.

:)

- Marc
Marc,

So on the S2, can you shoot the Hasselblad lenses with a sync speed of 1/4000?

Thanks, Joris.

fotografz

Marc,

So on the S2, can you shoot the Hasselblad lenses with a sync speed of 1/4000?

Thanks, Joris.
Joris, using the fully functional H to S adapter, you can shoot any Hasselblad HC/HCD leaf shutter lens up to 1/4000 using the focal plane shutter of the camera. Flip the mode switch on the S2 to CS and you can shoot those lenses up to 1/750 sync speed. Leica CS lenses can go to 1/1000 sync speed.

Don't confuse HSS type lighting using a speed-light with shooting at a higher sync speed with strobes. HSS with a speed-light is a very weak level of light output from an already weak light source compared to even a modest studio type strobe.

- Marc

OliverM

2 pictures made this afternoon, that tell me not to drop the MF for the sony.
I could have shown some pictures better done with the Sony (focus, dynamic range better than this eyelike e22 back, ...) but this illustrate what I like in MF for portraits.