The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Studio Tripod? Which One?

My tripod just broke on me the other day (luckily without my alpa on it).

OK, so what should I buy?

Looking for something that can be used as a studio tripod for now in Paris, but something that can be used as an outdoor tripod later when I replace it with a heavier duty studio only tripod when I move back to the states. Sorry if thats confusing.

I was looking at the gitzo 3542xls. Any thoughts on this? Any thoughts on something else?

jerome_m

I use a Manfrotto 535, which is a video tripod. You'll need a MA 520 ball to mount a photo head on it. It is relatively inexpensive and very stable, but does not have a column (like the gitzo 3542xls). There is also the 536 if you want a more compact fold.

Generally speaking, for large tripods, I find the video versions usually better and cheaper. If you don't need to turn your camera between landscape and portrait mode, the video heads are also generally much mode stable than photo heads.

I should have been much more specific:

I am currently using a cube and will be mounting an Alpa Max on it with Rodi lenses (much heavier than schneiders). I need something that is quite stable as I do product photography. I also do quite a bit of shooting downwards towards the seen, and this is pretty scary with a tripod that isn't sturdy.

My budget is around 1100 dollars...

fotografz

I have a Gitzo G500, and can recommend it. It used to be my studio tripod until I got a camera stand. I still ocassionally use it for location work when ultimate camera lock down is required.

Can be had used for about $200 or so.

- Marc

I use, and highly recommend, the Manfrotto MT057C4. You can get them for about $700 US. It's extremely sturdy and well built. I also like that it's gets quite tall when fully extended; 80-inch with the column extended (and the column is very solid, so actually useful).

Only potential downside, depending on your expectations, is its bulk and weight - the legs weigh about 8 lbs.

Mammy645

I've always been happy with my Manfrotto 058B Triaut, the fact that you can adjust all three legs at the same time with levers at the top is most useful. It's VERY sturdy, but also quite heavy.

Last edited:

KiboOst

I use Gitzo GT5530S / Markins M20 for studio shoot and outdoor. Light, sturdy and stable. I have the center column which allow you to weight the tripod for more stability.

Thank You everyone for your input so far
I was really looking for a tripod that CAN be used as a studio tripod for the next 6 months. But then after 6 months the tripod will need to become an on location tripod. So this is why I am looking at CF tripods. When I get back to America I will get a camera stand for studio use.

I happen to grab a shot of my Manfrotto when I was out in the field yesterday, in case it might be of interest...

FYI, that thing in the middle is a very handy Vanguard SB-100 'stone bag'. Great for adding weight to further stabilize the rig, or just for holding spare stuff.

kdphotography

I've moved away from Gitzo to the RRS tripod.

If you're only using the tripod in studio for six months, I think you're better focusing on the characteristics of the tripod that are important to you on location.

The TVC-24 is my lightweight tripod, but you "can" use it in studio as well. I normally use a camera studio stand or a heavier Cullman in studio, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the TVC-24 either. (Phase DF or Cambo WRS and IQ180 on Cube) The TVC 3 series will give you more stability yet.

I would think carbon fiber is at the top of your list, so better Gitzo or RRS CF tripods would be a nice fit. Wait, you have an Alpa---gotta consider aesthetics. I think the Alpa wood grips would best be complemented by the nice CF leg pattern on the RRS tripods. :D

ken

EH21

I bought a lot of used gear which included an old Linhof tripod with the geared center column. I can't believe how great this old tank is. Wouldn't recommend it for anything but the studio, but wow, this is just fantastic - it's a rock.

My tripod just broke on me the other day (luckily without my alpa on it).

OK, so what should I buy?

Looking for something that can be used as a studio tripod for now in Paris, but something that can be used as an outdoor tripod later when I replace it with a heavier duty studio only tripod when I move back to the states. Sorry if thats confusing.

I was looking at the gitzo 3542xls. Any thoughts on this? Any thoughts on something else?

After doing some more research on reviews, I have found that quite a few people prefer the RRS tripods over the gitzos. And as you said I do like the looks of the CF pattern better lol ;)

I was thinking about getting the TVC-43 ... Is this overkill?

For me the 250 bucks almost makes it worth it to have the extra stability (vibration resistance). I'm over buying under what I need, I've upgraded my equipment too many times. I've got my Alpa and my rodi's and my cube. Now I need something that will last a lifetime and give me the sharpest photos possible for in studio work now, and on location work in the future.

I've moved away from Gitzo to the RRS tripod.

If you're only using the tripod in studio for six months, I think you're better focusing on the characteristics of the tripod that are important to you on location.

The TVC-24 is my lightweight tripod, but you "can" use it in studio as well. I normally use a camera studio stand or a heavier Cullman in studio, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the TVC-24 either. (Phase DF or Cambo WRS and IQ180 on Cube) The TVC 3 series will give you more stability yet.

I would think carbon fiber is at the top of your list, so better Gitzo or RRS CF tripods would be a nice fit. Wait, you have an Alpa---gotta consider aesthetics. I think the Alpa wood grips would best be complemented by the nice CF leg pattern on the RRS tripods. :D

ken

kdphotography

I was thinking about getting the TVC-43 ... Is this overkill?
I dunno---the new TVC 4 series are big. And considering their size are not that heavy. It all depends on what you shoot. It may well be overkill. The TVC 3 series will handle anything you throw at it and it is lighter. But that 4 series is still kinda cool...
Photo from this year's CI in Carmel kicking off at the RRS facilities in San Luis Obispo. Look! Your kids can use the 4 series as a jungle gym...:p

Those are the 4 and 5 section, I was thinking the 3 section as it is really sturdy and seems to be the perfect height. But those are insanely big, and look pretty solid :)

I dunno---the new TVC 4 series are big. And considering their size are not that heavy. It all depends on what you shoot. It may well be overkill. The TVC 3 series will handle anything you throw at it and it is lighter. But that 4 series is still kinda cool...
Photo from this year's CI in Carmel kicking off at the RRS facilities in San Luis Obispo. Look! Your kids can use the 4 series as a jungle gym...:p

When I get back to America I will get a camera stand for studio use.
Nothing better, imo and used, they're 'practically' free. Seems people don't know what they are anymore.

I use a Gitzo Studex with a geared column btw on location. Far from light, but steady as a rock.

Yea I saw they are not super expensive used. This is definitely my plan for when we move back to America.

Nothing better, imo and used, they're 'practically' free. Seems people don't know what they are anymore.

I use a Gitzo Studex with a geared column btw on location. Far from light, but steady as a rock.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Went ahead and purchased the RRS TVC-43. Seemed worth the extra couple hundred as it was the perfect height, and I prefer 3 section tripods over the 4 section TVC-34L. Figured stability on a 3 section has to be better than 4 section...