The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Firmware Releases

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ken, thanks for the file. So... the procedure for downloading the latest firmware on a PC is to contact Ken, get him to dropbox the fwr file, and then download.

The fwr file does not appear on the P1 site as far as I can see, though there are other bin and pdf downloads available. The downloader does appear but fails to download - that is the downloader itself fails, never mind anything it is trying to do. Buggy, but maybe the Danes are in serious party mode after the sale and this will be fixed once things settle down. Bente, is there any aqvavit left?
It's really not that difficult. Go to Downloads. Scroll down to Download Firmware and select it. Select Firmware Updater (Granted not that obvious that the firmware files are there). Then select IQ Firmware 5.11.36 and it'll download the .fwr file to your machine if you're logged in or else it'll prompt you for an email address and then download.

Copy that file to the root of a CF card and then do firmware update on the back.

Or, you can just click here if the navigation is different in your view of the P1 site:
Firmware updater for 645DF/645DF+ camera and P+ digital backs

p.s. Do NOT have any dealings with either Ken or Don. Ever. They are both very very bad influences, in fact worse than Guy, and you will end up with a dent in your wallet because they'll have performed some Jedi mind trick on you and you'll suddenly have some new gear you hadn't even thought of buying before. Be warned! :ROTFL:

cunim

Graham, that does not work on my pc. The download does not offer the fwr file, only a package of binaries. The downloader link is dead. Never mind, just a site glitch.

GrahamWelland

I resent the suggestion that Ken "Surface Pro" Doo would lead anyone to buy anything.
Actually I heard that there were marketing folks in Redmond who were looking in to the 'Ken Doo' effect on Surface Pro sales. They'd heard that at least six confirmed Mac and iPad users had bought them and this had caused a significant blip in Surface Pro sales numbers :ROTFL:

Don Libby

I was asked not to tell however - it seems that there's is a Special Edition Ken Doo Surface Pro 2.5 about to be released. In all your fav colors....

Paul2660

I am curious, how well does the Surface pro 2 screen do in daylight?. Anything I guess is better than a retina iPad, but is the surface pro screen a lot better?

Paul Caldwell

kdphotography

Hi Paul,

The Surface Pro 2 is good in daylight but obviously better in the softer light of sunrise or sunset. You can easily control screen brightness with just a couple taps of the power/battery icon on the bottom right of the screen.

It's also rather easy to make a sunscreen and I'm currently trying to design some simple side panels. Like Don says---in all your favorite colors... :D

The difference with the Surface Pro 2 is that you are viewing full resolution RAW files that you can zoom in on C1 Pro 7 up to 400%, use focus mask, loupe, or everyone's favorite live-view on a ccd sensor...;) No low res jpegs as on an ipad.... And 100% zoom on the Surface Pro is with a simple double-tap.

Just ignore that Graham Welland---me and Don have the droids you're looking for....:D

Microsoft’s Surface Pro 2: A Game Changer for Phase One IQ Series and Leaf Credo Medium Format Digital Backs | Kendoophotography's Blog

ken

GrahamWelland

And of you're a Mac guy who doesn't want to spend money on windoze machines a fully spec'd cheap Surface Pro works too. Speed is comparable to capture pilot wireless zoom except that as ken says it's a real image local to the surface and can be checked at high resolution.

I would look at an anti-glare protector on the surface otherwise it's like an iPad or iPhone sand beautifully render your own reflection or glare in certain light.

Btw I did find a usable hood for the iPad mini retina that fits perfectly and folds flat.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Ken,

Thanks very much for your kind giving us information regarding the Surface Pro 2 set up. It is extremely useful.

I've been frustrating with my IQ260. The wireless is not as useful as advertising which somewhat misleaded.

There are several types of "Arkon heavy duty c-clamp universal tablet mount". Would you mind giving the link to which one you've been using?

I really appreciate in advance for your kind advice.

Best
Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Graham!

Can iPad be used with tethering?

Wireless is not reliable. Or am I the only one who is unlucky?

Pramote

kdphotography

Pramote----Graham's got it. Look for the tab804 model.

There is an equipment, um--shopping list, at the bottom of my blog. :)

ken

Don Libby

Pramote, iPads currently lack either USB3 or Firewire so sadly no they can't be tethered.

The Surface Pro has USB3 which makes it a perfect platform. Ken & I kicked this around shortly after MS announced the release and just waited for it to mature (8GB RAM instead of 4).

Its really surprising just how powerful this little thing is. While I still need my much larger/powerful laptop for the road I'm using this more and more as a fill-in. I used the SP2 yesterday to upgrade the firmware on my IQ160 and I've been using lately to surf the web, FB and here.

Don

Don Libby

Wireless might in time get better. The main downside I see is that you are currently left with Jpegs which is something I run away from. I like having the ability of shooting directly to C1-DB and see the RAW image file and be able to double tap to 100%, focus mask, highlight warning etc. I'm not trying to do any processing, just checking the image however the SP2 is powerful enough to handle processing.

Just my 2-cents

Don

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Ken & Don...Thanks very much for sharing this information. It sounds fantastic from someone I can trust. That's why I love GetDPI.

BTW...Are you sponsored by microsoft? :)

Pramote

malmac

I've put FW 5.11.36 into this DropBox file, which also contains several older IQ series MFDB firmware versions----not a bad idea to archive these just in case. I'll leave this Dropbox link live for a while...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/258ngmkjxewo04e/fHEftLJnUM

ken
Ken

Thank you very much for your assistance. I have a 645DF with an IQ180 back.
Firmware loaded and now our camera acts like one camera - not a big deal but it restores a little faith that Phase One might one day release a competent and suitable camera body to run with the IQ and earlier series backs.

Mal

GrahamWelland

Btw, and I'm not trying to out Ken & Don Ken & Don in terms of enabling, but if you're thinking of getting a Surface Pro 2 for image processing then I highly, highly, recommend the Cintiq Companion as the platform to invest in. The Wacom digitizer on the Cintiq is a lot more accurate and predictable than the MS tablet/pen. It's the super Surface Pro 2 for all intents and purposes :thumbs:

I'm somewhat cheap (well, when it comes to PC's vs Macs) so I went with the Surface Pro but when I buy in to a real Surface Pro 2 platform I'm definitely going to invest in the Cintiq version. I use the Cintiq 13HD today with my MBP and I love it. I only wish that the Cintiq Companion (non hybrid) could act as the second display and tablet for my MBP. Oh well, I guess we can't have everything - until the next version!

Last edited:

Craig Stocks

If you're having problems downloading the firmware from the Phase One site, you might try using a different browser. Microsoft Internet Explorer downloaded the wrong file, but when I switched to Firefox it downloaded correctly. IE tends to be the least compatible browser, so anytime things don't work right, I try Firefox or Chrome.

kdphotography

Craig, I bet you're right about using different browsers.

Graham---you might want to try a Bamboo Feel pen---maybe that will give you a bit better pen feel.

We're way off-topic here on tethering with the Surface Pro 2, so maybe it's best to start a new enabling thread under New or Interesting Techniques or maybe since it really only involves tethering of MFDBs, a separate thread here.

ken

Last edited:

drevil

Staff member
just a short hijack of the thread, would my p45+ be on the latest available firmware?
the FWupdate which i downloaded said its out dated.