The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Firmware Releases

Craig Stocks

Am I the only one who has been missing out on new firmware releases from Phase One? Firmware version 5.11.36 was released February 18 for IQ backs. Among the improvements, Capture Pilot now works for me with IOS 7.1 in ad hoc WiFi mode and the back powers on and off with the camera (645DF). A form of geotagging is also enabled, but only through Capture Pilot.

I only stumbled upon it since I was having some weird issues and wanted to verify my FW version since the back had just returned from Phase One after a cosmetic repair.

kdphotography

Has this latest firmware been stable for you Craig?

The last I heard was live view via USB3 was still in beta, but it appears that live view via USB3 is ready for prime time with this latest firmware release.

Live view on CCD sensors has always been limited at best, but it may have more utility in the field when using the larger screen of the Surface Pro 2 via USB3 tethering.

ken

jimban

Hi-

I loaded 5.11.36 last week specifically for UB3 tethered Liveview. So far its been stable and works better than OK with my surface pro 1. I use it to frame and focus an m-line 2 with an IQ180. Focus has been spot on with lenses from an HR100mm to a Rhodie 180mm in morning light.

jim

Don Libby

After reading this thread I decided to upgrade as well. I actually had more trouble getting the firmware installed than anything else. Just finished a few minutes ago and did a quick down and dirty test while still in the apartment; actual usage will begin tomorrow.

Connected to my WRS/IQ160 and Surface Pro 2 running C1-DB. It might just be me however the refresh rate looks better (smoother?) on the SP2 than on the actual back. Still jerky however it looked good the few minutes I used it. My thought is that is looks better on a larger screen.

No issues to report as yet.

Thanks Craig for pointing out the upgrade (knew it was in beta didn't know that it had been released).

Don

kdphotography

This is good to hear. Shooting tethered via USB3 and Surface Pro 2 is great. I expected live view to be better if not for anything but because of the larger screen of the Surface Pro.

Last edited:

Craig Stocks

I haven't used it enough to call it stable, but I was continuing to have lock-up problems with the prior FW on my 645DF. The last lock-up was a hard one and I had to remove the battery, lens and back to get it going again, and it cost me a sunset.

I also noticed that the back quit doing the long exposure dark frame most of the time. It would do one maybe once out of five frames. It was those two issues that got me checking for new FW.

I have confirmed that ad hoc wifi now works with Capture Pilot on my IOS phone. It will also take some getting used to the back turning on and off automatically when I turn the camera on and off. The Phase One literature seems to describe that feature only with the DF+, but it works on my DF.

cunim

OK, how are you getting the fwr file? The download appears to be broken. When I download the 6MB release package, there is no firmware file in it. The updater refuses to download at all.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, or P1 needs to find a new teenager to manage their web site.

Don Libby

Seems like I wasn't the only person to have this problem yesterday. I tried 3-seperate cards and each time I did the back failed to pick up the FW file. I ended up loading the updater connecting the back to the computer via USB3 and within a matter of a few minutes had the update.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I had no problems downloading (yesterday and just now on a different machine) nor updating my IQ260. I'm using a Mac with Chrome and it simply downloaded the file FW5.11.36_released-aa0c.fwr which I then copied to a CF card and was able to install on the back itself via the firmware upgrade option.

Are you folks that are having problems using PCs? Is it invoking any helper app after download perhaps?

I tried the USB3 fuzzy view yesterday with my Surface Pro and it worked just as badly as it does on the back. Ok, the display is larger for certain and it does keep up with the Live View update rate and so it works as well as it ever worked. It did seem easier to work with the bigger live view display though.

stephengilbert

I keep a CF card with my last FW version on it in my bag.

I'm assuming it would not be a good thing if there were more than one version on the same card?

jimban

Hi Graham-

Are using 100% quality and adjusting brightness when using LV on the surface pro?

You do have to use a kind of stutter step focus to move with the slow refresh rate.

BTW I couldn't find the fwr file so I used the updater which worked fine.

jim

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
When I tried it yesterday I was using the brightness/refresh settings from the back and the only thing I changed in Capture One was the zoom in & out of the live view image.

I need to try it outdoors to test it properly but on a tech camera in maybe EV5/6 exposure it was just as noisy in my opinion as ever. That wasn't really a surprise because I can't imagine that C1 is doing anything in realtime and if it were possible to render more cleanly on the back then I'm sure that they'd already being doing it. I'll give it try in better light.

kdphotography

No problems with PC updates/downloads of the fw here, so hard to say what the issue may be for some.

Steve---I think you'll only want one fw version on your backup CF, otherwise the system won't know which version to update to.

My plan will be to keep the backup folder of IQ MFDB firmware on my micro SDXC card slot on the Surface Pro 2, and if ever needed, I'll be able to copy/swap the selected firmware using Phase One Firmware Updater program.

ken

cunim

Ken, thanks for the file. So... the procedure for downloading the latest firmware on a PC is to contact Ken, get him to dropbox the fwr file, and then download.

The fwr file does not appear on the P1 site as far as I can see, though there are other bin and pdf downloads available. The downloader does appear but fails to download - that is the downloader itself fails, never mind anything it is trying to do. Buggy, but maybe the Danes are in serious party mode after the sale and this will be fixed once things settle down. Bente, is there any aqvavit left?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Ken, thanks for the file. So... the procedure for downloading the latest firmware on a PC is to contact Ken, get him to dropbox the fwr file, and then download.
Ken.... Or your dealer.

We maintain an archive of firmware ready for any of our customers. Just an email or call away.

Remember Phase One provides support *primarily* through its dealer network.