The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sanity Check on a MFD setup - starting from zero

stephengilbert

You'd need to fly in some gear as well. Though meeting Guy is itself valuable, it might not resolve all your camera questions.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
One problem with the Hy6 was more so in the US than over in Europe was we really never had any real sales support here in the US so that turned some folks off. That has changed some recently as someone I forget the guys name but nice guy opened a shop here in the states but the HY6 was just more popular over in Europe than here so our responses on it maybe a little jagged. At least for me when I made my purchases it was not even a thought as it seamed to small a player. That was my feeling back than. Of course we have Hy6 folks that love the systems. But Phase makes some nice lenses too as well as Hassy.

Guy Mancuso

The hard part here is figuring out want mounts fit these camera systems the best. Since the back is the most expensive item. For instance a Contax mount will fit a Contax body and most of the tech cams but I'm not sure you can get a Contax mount for a FPS same with the Hy6. This is something you have to look into. Mamiya mount for instance goes to just about everything a DF,RZ, All the tech cams including the pancakes and the FPS. Guess the point here is really figuring out your mount first and what systems you want to plug that on. Hassy limits itself on the body but still can be used on a tech cam. So just need to watch your choices on the mount than the functions on the backs. Lots of homework here

young'ee

Satellite Communications - i have a lease on a transponder on a satellite over Africa and provide services to mining companies among others

young'ee

I'd really love to try some systems........but the mere mention of Africa usually sends them running a 100 miles an hour the other way. I don't expect anyone is sending gear into Africa on a proof of concept trial.

Guy, i was the bloke trying to buy the 19mm Leica off you - remember? It was late at night here when i saw your add, i replied via email - you replied almost immediately via email then i replied etc - it was so late here that i had to go to bed and when i got up in the morning to pull the trigger i got your email saying it was sold. Not that it matters at all.

The thing that got me into this mess is the Sony A7r - some innocent Sunday morning reading about the Sony turned into this ;-) your review did little to help me out here :) Then i decided to hell with it, i am going to go all out here and not going to mess with the little stuff - the Sony A7 provided the spark to set of the latent fire within and now i want to get back into MF , and well the rest is history.

So yup - i'm up for this. The whole Rollei thing is because in Sydney where i am originally from, Rollei was a big name a. I used a 6008 at a studio i contracted too. I just love the Rollei lenses. I guess you cant really compare lenses from those days to new designs out now, but i used a Hassy 503CX, Mamyia, Bronica, Rollei

What else is out there these days? S2, Hassy and DF+ Out of those i'd take the Rollei. But no argument that it seems to be locked out of all the fun. Shame.

Re the tech cam - i blame YOU MISTER !!! (Guy that is) You are the one who started the "show us your tech cam"

No going back now - committed to a tech cam. Ready to pull the trigger on this now now- the Alpa is such a beautiful work of art - really. The way of working with a tech cam really appeals to me.

Guy Mancuso

I woul simple go into this in a simple manner . Sure spend the money on the right back but you just might want to think pancake like the STC to start and you can always add the FPS if this really starts to work in your favor. The pancakes are simple devices that put more emphasize on you and they are simple operate with amazing results plus they are small to shoot which is nice on you.

You could start with a 3 or 4 lens kit and really that maybe all you need. Now if you want to do more handheld stuff than you can add the DSLR style body to work with the back or just use a dang Sony for that fun stuff. If I had life my way it would be a tech cam several lenses and a Sony and call it a day. Tech for the landscape stuff and Sony for everything else.

young'ee

No not difficult at all - expensive yes! But its all a business expense so no worries on that.

Now hanging onto this gear may be another story - this time last year we got held up by bandits here at home - 12 homes in our area ( we are on a farm ) got hit by various gangs. I have an assortment of weapons in the house ready for next time - .45, .38, .32 hand guns and pump action shot gun/s plus a few i wont mention ;-)

But not much different to living in America i guess.

hcubell

Given where you are located, I wouldn't dream of buying a Hy6, unless I could afford 2 or 3 bodies. The company that manufacturss the Hy6 is a very small operation, and that's an understatement. They are simply not geared up to provide fast turn around, and the reality with all of this equipment is that it fails and needs to be serviced. My experience, hard won, is that the Phase backs are the most reliable, but even they can have issues. If I were you, I personally would get myself a Phase back with 2 or 3 Hassy H2 or Phase DF bodies. Then, pick the tech camera and lenses. I have read that the FPS is prone to shutter vibration, so I would look into that carefully.

young'ee

Guy,

I hear you. There is a lot to be said for simple. The tech cam is easy because that is what i REALLY want to do - pano landscapes are the big thing.

The other interest i really have is wanting to collect lenses. I think i saw a post from you somewhere saying you were a lens whore - i get this because i am a lens harlot! The more lenses the better. So i want to get a nice collection of the classics together to mess around with - just for fun.

I plan to build a studio on my plot of land up by Lake Tanganyika. I have a 120 meters of coast line on my property (ie, my back yard is a beach along the shore line) and I do a lot of scuba diving up there and want to collect the fish from the lake and photograph them in aquariums - so i plan to setup a full blown studio for this. Its a great excuse for getting back into the game after so many years out of it.

So this gives me the need for a studio camera hence the RZ and Fuji 6800.

There is no money motivation for any of this - its all for kicks - that's all. Some may ask why - to which i would say, because i can.

So i just want to get geared up with the cams i know form yester - year - i know these cameras and know what they can do and they are things of beauty to me. Given they are so cheap these days - why not?

But the tech cam - thing - ALL YOUR FAULT BUDDY ! Hey some of those setups in the show us your techcam are mouth watering to say the least - the bug has bitten.

kdphotography

I think reading and picking up on your tastes----I'd go with an Alpa STC to start. The Alpa is simply a beautiful camera (this coming from a Cambo shooter). You can always add the FPS later, and I would be pulling on Gerald's ear here for advice later. You may simply be happy with the Alpa STC all by itself.

The Fuji 680 is probably more headache than it's worth to cobble together to make it work with your MFDB. You'll have a much easier time with the RZ Pro II D. You can probably just about get a Phase DF included when you purchase a new MFDB, which will be nice to have a smaller platform than just the RZ.

Add a RRS TVC 3 series tripod and an AS Cube and you're set....for now.

:) ken

Guy Mancuso

Okay than here is a thought those older RZ bodies and lenses have a great look to them so if you want the look they are a great choice to have. I say this because most modern day tech cam lenses are clinical in look . Great for most type of landscape work , so this actually gives you a choice in the field as well with the same back you can do both as the RZ in the field would be fun for more classic looks. Plus have the RZ in the studio. Than if you really want to experiment with old glass than the darn Sony is a ton of fun for that as you can just about bolt anything on it as you have seen in the Sony forum. Now this gives you two systems although different for more classic look. Problem though as you can see is the tech cam stuff it's much harder to get that classic look in them since they are more modern lenss designed for maximum resolution and man do they do that the best. Nothing can really touch these lenses in that area of quality but with that comes more clinical look. Now a MF back helps here since it has wonderful color transitions and color depth. So you get a smoother looking file but still have maximum resolution . On the other hand you have the RZ glass that can give you more a classic look. Nice combination here. Than if you still want to get crazy with really old glass than the Sony offers you the best option as all you need is adapters which there are tons of them in every flavor which in MF much more difficult to take old lenses as there are not many adapters to bolt on them. Just some thoughts but I'm liking this idea.

Notice you still are down to one back here without getting too crazy but your in Mamiya mount which gives you even more options in a DF kit.

Guy Mancuso

Just saw Kens post and I tend to agree . Start with a STC than go from there. Agree Gerald and Graham plus other Alpa folks can help you on the Alpa gear. I agree they are beautiful products.

young'ee

Hi hcubell,

Ok not heard that about the FPS. I need to bone up on the FPS - but hard from here - i only have the Internet to help me - and you guys of course!

Re the Hy6 - doesn't really matter if it goes down - none of this is for profit or business - its all for fun. So nothing lost if it all goes wrong - apart from time in turnaround time.

The whole Digi back thing is what complicates this. As Guy says, with a Phase Mamiya mount i can access the FPS, the RZ, and the phase cameras - if i should want to go that way - then i can get the focus mask i desire. I lose the Hy6. But this may not be the end of the world. However i REALLY want to use Rollei lenses on the FPS but need more info on that because from what i have been able to dig up it seems that the Rollei glass needs an external controller or something to fire the shutter?

So none of it is simple unless i stick to phase and Mamiya mount - which is no disaster i guess.

I'm actually looking at this from another perspective - put the money into the tech cam (thats the big money - its over 25K for the tech cam gear alone) and start with a P25+ as i do want a fat pixel back. Then after a bit of playing around with that, see what back i really want. That sorta works because i can get different back plates for the tech cam for any back.

So i think what this really comes down to is, which MF body am i happy to live with. I cant tell you how many rolls of 120 and 220 i put through my Bronica's over many years as a photographer hack ( i ran my own prolab as well as contracted to many studios, did school photography, had contracts in major hospitals around Sydney doing new born photos, did 100's and 100's of weddings, portraits - did most of it over the years)

So to me , unless i have this wrong, the DF+ is the same style of shooting as the Bronica ETRSi ?

I much prefer 6x6 with a waist level finder.

The RZ is just because it will be fun to try adapting a MFD to it and mess around with it - really i cant believe how cheap these things are these days ! Plus that RZ glass is no slouch either

Guy Mancuso

The bad part here is I just don't know enough about the FPS so I'm a little at a loss for its abilities with different types of glass that can be bolted on it. I do know some Rollie glass is the same formulas as others in different mounts. This would take some research on that.

young'ee

KD,

Yes sense in what you say. My plan was to order the FPS, the STC, most of the adapters and spacers etc then go looking for a good selection of lenses to bolt onto the front of the setup. Thinking P25+ fat pixel as the fat pixel thread has me fascinated. From there - i dont know what back to go with at this stage. Was going to pull the trigger on the Leaf Aptus II 10 purely because its such a good price right now - marked down from 22K to 11K - whats not to love about that?

Frankly i feel very calm and easy about investing in the tech gear - no worries at all. Its 25K+ but a well invested 25K i feel. The RZ and 6800 are so cheap that it does not matter. 6800 lenses are cheap cheap and RZ glass not a whole lot more - so that side is simple enough.

The backs are the worry - these things don't hold value do they ! I'm comfortable to 20K on a back ( i mean the big guy - not the little fat pixel guy - he is for cheap)