The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sanity Check on a MFD setup - starting from zero

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No they don't hold there value extremely well so you have to be careful. A P25+ is a easy choice and a nice back plus money output is maybe tops 6k so really not a big deal in the scheme of things. Maybe a good choice get your feet wet see if it is something you really enjoy than grow from there. Now as far as backs going forward there is not one that will not produce great images thats a given they will all do a great job from 22mpx to 80 mpx they all have there place in the market and all will produce. Some will have better DR as the P25+ maybe the lowest DR on the market but thats what also gives it its charm. it just has a lot of punch. But the more modern ones will mostly come down to functions and of course software that goes with it. Here i am very bias towards C1 but thats me and I admit it out of the gate. I also like Phase backs more than the rest but again thats me. But i feel they are very reliable, strong and have the best functions for me. So thats why I like them. And the fact I may have my best images from them makes me lean that way. So again a little bias. Does not mean they rest are bad or anything like that.

young'ee

Guy, the more i study the FPS the more in awe i am. This is just the most incredible camera!

I've got to get some quotes - i've got Linhof studio in UK researching some stuff on the FPS for me and will be getting a quote on a full system in a few days.

I would like to cross check pricing with another dealer - don't know who since i am only now coming back to this field after so many years away. Exciting times!

And just to put this into perspective - i won an ebay auction for an Angenieux lens - i intend to collect the full set of Angies. I also bought some Leica R glass to kick my Leica collection off. (lost a 19mm Leica - wont mention any names) Also after the RZ glass set and the 6800 glass set. Thinking of picking up all the Contax range just so i have them. In Rollei i want the Schneider's, particularly the 90mm. Thats a lot of classic's.

As for the tech cam, i want to get the old glass on the front of it to play around with "looks"

This is all very interesting and fun! A few bucks for sure - but i'm getting old and i cant take it with me.

Ken_R

Honestly I would go to New York and spend a few days there testing and checking out the different options. At the very least you'll come back with some nice pictures and some good memories :D

jlm

Workshop Member
sounds like $ is not an issue, so be sure to look at at the new CMOS phase back, hard to beat it for studio use due to the live view feedback for judging focus with tilt, for example. biggest drawback is the "cropped" sensor size will ultimately limit your wide angle FOV

Guy Mancuso

Guy, the more i study the FPS the more in awe i am. This is just the most incredible camera!

I've got to get some quotes - i've got Linhof studio in UK researching some stuff on the FPS for me and will be getting a quote on a full system in a few days.

I would like to cross check pricing with another dealer - don't know who since i am only now coming back to this field after so many years away. Exciting times!

And just to put this into perspective - i won an ebay auction for an Angenieux lens - i intend to collect the full set of Angies. I also bought some Leica R glass to kick my Leica collection off. (lost a 19mm Leica - wont mention any names) Also after the RZ glass set and the 6800 glass set. Thinking of picking up all the Contax range just so i have them. In Rollei i want the Schneider's, particularly the 90mm. Thats a lot of classic's.

As for the tech cam, i want to get the old glass on the front of it to play around with "looks"

This is all very interesting and fun! A few bucks for sure - but i'm getting old and i cant take it with me.
Im coming to hang with you, you'll have all the fun toys. LOL

Guy Mancuso

In the USA there are three Alpa dealers. Fotocare in NY, Dodds camera in the Mid West and my dealer capture integration based in Atlanta. Headquarters that is they have other branches. Might want to contact with them also.

gerald.d

Gerald,

Thanks for your input. I have been reading all your posts this last week. I would love to know all about the FPS - this looks to be a fantastic system!

My main purpose of the tech cam is for landscapes in pano format. From what i have been able to understand, on the Alpa system the way to get this is to use the FPS as a shutter and the STC as the stitch mechanism. Is this correct?

The concern is, if i needed to go that way to get stitch (and my understanding is i do) then do we lose the ability to mount all sorts of lenses?

The charm to me (at least at this point) in the FPS is to be able to mount many different lenses.

However a very decent pano system comes first on my list.

I just dont know enough about Alpa and where i live there is zero chance of getting my hands on one.

Thanks
Hi -

OK, as I see it, you have two totally distinct requirements here from a tech cam perspective (I'm not going to comment on the reflex camera requirement because I have no knowledge whatsoever on the Hy6)

1. You want to shoot panos.
2. You want the FPS because of the versatility of the lens mounts.

The unanswered question is - what lenses do you want to shoot panos with?

Depending on what the answer to this question is, will determine whether or not the FPS even enters into the pano-shooting game.

Caveat - I'm assuming you're only interested in shift-stitching panos here. If you're interested in/happy to shoot by spinning the camera around the nodal point, then that opens up a whole other world of opportunity.

Do NOT write off nodal point stitching. It is just as good a - and in many instances, actually better - proposition than shift-stitching.

But I'll park that diversion here and we can come back to it if you want to.

So, back to the lenses.

It's the lenses that you want to shoot with that will determine what you will end up buying. Start with the glass, and everything will follow pretty much automatically from there.

...Alpa have a lens adapter for Rollei lenses.
I'm assuming you're talking about this -

ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - ALPA lens adapter Rolleiflex 600x/Hy6 / Sinar Hy6 / Leaf AFi

This is NOT an adapter to be able to use the lenses with the FPS. To the best of my knowledge you still need the Rollei Lens Control S in order to use the lenses on the ALPA 12 cameras.

If you want to shift-stitch with these lenses, then you won't be using the FPS at all. I'm not familiar with the adapter, but it clearly has a flange distance designed to only work on the "regular" 12-series ALPA cameras.

Now, whether there is any other way to use those lenses with the FPS, I don't know - I'm not familiar with them. ALPA only provide Canon, Nikon, Mamiya and Hasselblad (V-mount) lens adapters (in addition of course to the regular "ALPA-mount" Rodenstocks and Schneiders).

So, in order to use any of the lenses with the FPS, first you need to find out whether you can use an interim adapter to one of those mounts. If so, that's the flange distance sorted out. Then, you need to know whether the lenses can be used manually. I assume these lenses have shutters - you'd need to bypass that shutter and use the FPS's focal plane shutter. Next, you need to be able to focus them manually, and finally, you need to be able to set the aperture manually.

IF you can meet all the above requirements, then IF you're going via either the Mamiya or Hasselblad ALPA lens adapters, then you will be able to use an STC, SWA, Max or XY in the mix to do shifts. (If you can go via the Hasselblad adapter, then you can do swings/tilts as well.)

There's a lot of "if's" in the above.

The FPS is a remarkably versatile camera though, and who knows what might be round the corner. Conceptually, I can't see why the FPS wouldn't be able - in the future - to take the place of the Rollie Lens Control S. A shorter adapter, and you'd be good to go. Whether this is physically realistic, and even if it were, whether there was actually sufficient demand to justify creating such a solution is a whole other matter though.

The guys at ALPA are extremely helpful - drop them a line and ask.

OK, long winded I know, but I think the answer is clear - you're not going to be using your Rollei lenses with the FPS at the moment.

Next - the FPS Mamiya adapter.

This is for Mamiya 645 mount lenses. Not RZ.

Same story again. Is there an adapter to go from RZ to any of the ALPA adapters (Canon, Nikon, Mamiya 645, Hassy)?

HCam do one -

HCAM RB/RZ-645 Adapter

Stefan is on the forum - drop him a line and I'm sure he can fill you in on the necessary details, but it looks at first glance as if this is an option.

You could go RZ mount - HCamRB/RZ>Mamiya 645 adapter - ALPA FPS Mamiya adapter - ALPA 12 series camera for the shifts - ALPA FPS.

So that gets a tick.

Next. Fuji GX680.

No way that I know of to use these on ALPA. Would it be interesting? Yes. Could it be hacked together somehow? Almost certainly. Would it be worthwhile? Who knows.

OK - that's I think dealt with the lenses and systems that you wanted to use. Once I've had a bit of a breather, I'll post more generally about the FPS and ALPA 12 system and my experience with it over the last couple of years.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Guy Mancuso

Gerald thanks for this info as it does help me as well. So the bottom line TODAY is we have this available in your quote here

ALPA only provide Canon, Nikon, Mamiya and Hasselblad (V-mount) lens adapters (in addition of course to the regular "ALPA-mount" Rodenstocks and Schneiders).

So lets say one can play quite a bit with older lenses and or look lenses in these mounts. As we all know there are a ton of older Hassy V and Mamiya 645 lenses to play with. Given that maybe the RZ may not be worth the effort.

young'ee

Thanks for the heads up on dealers - i will give them a shout.

As for getting to New York - i'd love to - last time i was there was in 1999. Unfortunately i am a prisoner here - i run a large many $$$$ satellite network here that i cant leave - i have to be in country 24/7/365 as part of the contract.

Example - while i have been here all day slacking off - a call came into the office from a big client of ours - they got hit by lighting this afternoon and the whole IT stack got wiped out - i am heading out at 05:00 tomorrow morning to go fix it - its right on the Congo DR border. So if i were in New York playing with cameras i would lose this contract - we never know when i will get a call out to dash off to some far flung corner of Africa. Some one has to do it.

As for the money - anyone can come out here and get into something that has $$$ attached - there is money to be made out on the frontier. But you have to be prepared to rough it and endure the hardships in the bush at times. I could write a book on the things i have been through here. Example - i worked right through Xmas and New years restoring a network that went down - my Xmas day was spent in the bowls of a server room and New Years eve i got a great view of fireworks - from the roof of a 7 story building repairing a large satellite antenna.

But yes, the rewards are there if you do. You do have to dodge the occasional bullet. I've had a bullet through the back window of my Land Cruiser. I've been caught in riots that spring up from nowhere. I once had to run down the runway of a major airport to try to jump on board a Russian AN12 turbo prop - i managed to scramble in as the plane was taking off - it goes on and on. The cops are corrupt as hell in some countries - in fact in Congo the cops are worse then the bandits.

Not many will take all this and most don't last long out here. I've been at it for 16 years. I reckon i deserve an Alpa !

danlindberg

Not many will take all this and most don't last long out here. I've been at it for 16 years. I reckon i deserve an Alpa !
You deserve an Alpa in my eyes. I wouldn't last 16 hours in your shoes. (still I think I deserve an Alpa too....:p)

You see what I have in my byline, ask away if there is anything in particular you would like to know! By the way, The FPS is mostly used with my Hassy lenses, 40, 80, 150, 250, 350.

danlindberg

The cool thing is that with the FPS you can shoot a Canon Tse 17 and the next minute a Hassy CF 350 :thumbup:

(Yes, sturdy enough to carry the whole weight without a lenscollar)

kdphotography

....I once had to run down the runway of a major airport to try to jump on board a Russian AN12 turbo prop - i managed to scramble in as the plane was taking off ....
Sounds like Don Libby as the UPS/Fed Ex departs from B&H or Capture Integration in Atlanta....

:ROTFL:

young'ee

Gerald,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on the FPS and Alpa in general.

So yes you nailed it - 2 issues -

pano's - at the end of the day its all about the image, so panos have to be the first priority.

Lenses - yes really really interested in trying as many old lenses as i can get to work. There is a place for technical superiority for sure - but there is also a place for not so perfect "interesting" looks. I really love the old MF glass - have a real interest in old hassy glass for example. Old Mamiya could be interesting exactly because it is not "perfect"

If i am brutally honest here - the FPS caught my attention because it allows many lenses to be mounted - as much as i want to do pano's on a tech cam (thanks guy - i am going to give my accountant your number) i also want to collect lenses and try to mount as many as i can - sure i understand not all will mount but half the fun is trying to work it all out to get them mounted.

The thing about the Alpa is they are simply beautiful !! Really, when i look through the thread that Alpa paid Guy to start ;-)(the "show us your tech cams" thread) i just lose track of time and spend hours looking and reading and re-reading trying to absorb it all.

I cant tell you how much joy it would be to set that Alpa up out in the bush over looking an escarpment waiting for the sun to come up to catch the glorious colors of dawn! The African bush is something else - nature puts on a light show here every day - Pure joy !!! Imagine being "out there" with a piece of craftsmanship that makes your heart sing by just looking at it - i can only imagine how it must feel to make images with it. So that's how i see it.

Now funny thing is, and no disrespect intended to any of the other manufacturers, but no other cam gives me that sensation - i guess its like why one guy finds a girl irresistible and the very next guy passes on her thanks very much. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the Alpa range is just sheer quality and fine craftsmanship. And it makes images with all sorts of glass combinations - whats not to love?

My interest in tech cams is being able to do pano's - i simply love the wide look - it just goes off!! So yes stitching is what it is all about because to me a tech cam is the "proper" way to do this - i know there are other ways but the purity of a tech cam just appeals to me - no rational reason why.

So yes it comes down to the lenses. In honesty, if it meant shoot with a number of given lenses that work or don't shoot with an Alpa i would get the Alpa and shoot with those lenses and figure another way to use the old lenses.

Yes you got the right lens adapter - i spoke with a dealer in UK today who seems to think that, that adapter cant be used with the FPS - so you seem to be on the same track as them on this - they were chasing up with Switzerland for me and will revert - so lets see what the Alpa GODS have to say.

It will be a real shame in one way to lose the Rollei and a blessing in another way - if the Rollei lens is out for now, it clears the way forward to go with a Phase back, focus mask and a Mamiya mount so that i can mount to the Alpa and the RZ - still not that keen on the Phase cameras to be honest - even if it makes "sense" There is little in all this that is about making sense - this is about indulging fantasy. The Alpa is my centerfold cam!

I do get the sense that if the Rollei lens is usable at all then the S control is needed - i dont see that as a problem - i mean we are talking about getting up at 3.00am to go stomping through the bush in darkness, setting up a large heavy tripod, tech cam, unpacking lenses and going through a focus dance to get things nailed up - why should handling an S control be an issue against that back ground?

Not being able to stitch is a deal breaker for me. Its all about pano's in the African bush. If i cant stitch then i wouldn't go through all this.

However, why could i not use the STC for the Rollei lenses (with S control unit - no biggie to me) and then go back to the FPS for other lenses - i mean i don't particularly care whether i have to use the FPS every time - the STC is fine - i mean its like dating two drop dead gorgeous sisters. Who cares which one i am with tonight ;-) and truth is, variety is also nice - right?

The fact that the FPS can take Hassy - that's a BIG + right there. Yes i hear you on the RZ lenses - you are absolutely right - its 645 lenses, not 6x7. You know what makes me marvel at the 6x7 size? I used to stand at my enlarger 10+ hours a day many days in a month printing from negatives. When you hold a 6x4.5 and a 6x7 neg together , its incredible how much bigger the 6x7 is. Even printing to color paper the image was so much ......i don't know if sharper is the right word, but there was a certain look and feel to a print from a large neg Vs a smaller neg. Forget 35mm. A 6x7 format lenses is a big piece of glass - I've handled many MF lenses and the bigger formats are just bigger and heavier and the sheer amount of glass in there is just reassuring somehow. But if we cant use 6x7 then so be it.

I need to do a study of Mamyia 6x4.5 manual glass because its a lens range i hardly ever had anything to do with. Lots of guys used Mamyia back in the day, but i was all Bronica in my shop and used what was provided by studios i did work for. So not really sure what 6x4.5 Mamiya glass is out there. But again, this is part of the appeal of this camera isn't it? I can go down so many roads with lens choice.

Was the HCam thing not closed down? Or at least i don't think it has gone through so far and looks like it may not ever happen - i am sure someone here will know the story or as you say, Stefan himself will chime in - I'll order one though and I'm now on the record for saying that, so please make that widget and hit me up :)

Fuji 680 - this is an odd for sure - not even sure there is merit in it. Just an idea at this stage - but want to get hold of one - do you know how big and heavy these things are? The lens is a strange design.

Gerald, thanks for your thoughts. There is a lot to understand here - what i can say is, when you finally "get" what the FPS is, its a realization of what an amazing concept this is.

Oh my - I've just read over this reply - its verrrrrry long - sorry for that. What can i say, its an interesting topic :) - but i know i am among like minded nuts.

Last edited:

Nutcracker

The FPS was my first foray into tech cameras, initially with Nikon PC lenses 24 and 85.
No regrets. Still awaiting Mamiya/Phase adapter for newer Phase/SK lenses, (I have no older Mamiya lenses so manual adapter not useful) especially the 240 which I expect will be great on the FPS.
Once I got the Rodenstock 32 HR I abandoned the Nikon glass, however. No amount of Nikon 24 stitching could come close. I did not even try, the HR was so stunning corner to corner, as is SK 90 in place of N85.
The combination of function and sensuousness of the Alpa is amazing.
I have now got STC also, but not had opportunity to use it yet (mismatch of available time and weather).
Go for it!

young'ee

Dan,

What can i say! WOW !! that's quite a frame you put up there.

I've honestly been sitting and staring at it for 10 or more minutes

This FPS is quite the camera.

I do have lots of questions but its late and i have to hit the road very early in the morning.

I'll be back in a few days.

Guy Mancuso

I think just get the FPS and a couple lens adapters and go play with it is your real answer. Obviously have your heart set on it and it will take a lot of different glass like the Sony mentioned earlier. You could get the appeal of the modern rodenstock glass and the appeal of some old Hassy V glass along with others to wet your desires here. Now I still think get the Phase mount and honestly the best back out there for tech cams with full sensor is the IQ260. I had the IQ 160 and loved it and shot the IQ260 and it's even better. Maybe even look at a used IQ160. You can get the P25 anytime you want if needed but seriously if your going this far into it just get a great back to match it. If you decide later you want the RZ or DF kit you have the back already to go with it. That's my final vote on it. I agree the FPS sounds like a really fun cam to own so why not do it. If you hate it than turn it back in on a STC or even have both.

young'ee

There's wisdom in those words Guy.......... i agree with just about all of it.

The Alpa system is just incredible. Check the pic up top that Dan posted..........

I am going to go ahead and get the STC and FPS and all the bits. I wont get a back plate for now because that bit is still a bit undecided. The P25+ is something that i'll grab regardless of what back i get in the end The main thing is to get the Alpa kit here by my side and to go find the lenses i need.

What mounts are the P25+ available in ? what do you see mainly come up on the sued market? How many "clicks" count is acceptable?

As for the big boy back...hmm i feel a whole other thread coming on - its a big decision.