The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sanity Check on a MFD setup - starting from zero

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
P25 mounts are Mamiya, Hassy , Contax . Now I would not worry too much on the P25 mount since a change in after is like 800 dollars. So let's say you find it in the H mount get the 800 dollar adapter for it and if you decide to get a IQ 260 let's say in a Mamiya mount no big deal its only a extra 800 bucks and won't really matter on a tech cam or the FPS only if your going to use the P25 on a body will it matter. So as something as inexpensive as a P25 get what you can find. I say worry about the mount later on the big back, that's when it might be more critical. Don't forget even if you did buy a big back in a mount and decided to change it than its like 3k to do that. If you bought say a IQ 260 new with the bigger warranty they would do a mount change for free under that value added warranty.

Shot count on a back is not a big deal either as long as the back itself looks clean you should not run into many issues. People use backs with over a 100k on them and still going strong. It may only have resale value a low shot count functionally no.

Steve Hendrix

Guy,

I'm not sure it's so easy to change mounts on the older P+ backs anymore.

Steve

I think Guy means you just change the Alpa adapter, no need to change the mount. But you're right, for actually changing the mount on a Phase One digital back, it is generally not available on most of the P+ backs, and the cost would be nearly $3,000 anyway, so at least on the older models you're better off selling and re-buying in the mount you want. If you purchase a VA Warranty - then a (one time) mount change is free.

Good luck on this Youngee - I agree the STC and FPS make sense as stand alone and combination cameras. I am a huge fan of the FPS - I feel the same way about lenses, and especially when you can combine them with large, awesome sensors like the Phase/Leaf products. There are so many unique propositions the FPS brings into play - shoot a 350mm (or...500mmm, anyone?) Hasselblad lens (with tilt!) on a 60 or 80 megapixel digital back. Take a Canon 85mm f/1.2 and shoot it wide open with a digital back (ideally one with usable live view, like the Phase One IQ250) - those would be some amazing portrait shots. There's just so many opportunities for someone who's really into lenses.

The Mamiya mount definitely makes everything easier. And it opens up the possibility of Mamiya RZ body and lenses. On the other hand - if you're really hung on the Rollei lenses - as many are - you can do that. While Focus Mask is a handy feature, I personally don't find it an essential one (YMMV). And to give up the lenses I really want just because of that feature isn't a fair trade, to me. I'm choosing the lenses instead. After all, you have a million dot LCD to work with.

And besides, the Leaf Credo backs are awesome!

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

That's what I meant change the Alpa mount adapter to whatever mount comes with the back. It's the big back I would make sure I picked the right mount given maybe the camera body I wanted to use, in this case if I bought say the IQ 260 I would go Mamiya mount for possible use of a DF or RZ. If you think about this though with a FPS since you have so many lens choices and more important the ability to use long glass than maybe a DSLR type body is a moot point, why bother the FPS sounds like it takes its place in some ways. So maybe in his case the STC and FPS and call it a day. The question though if you can use Rollie lenses on the FPS. Back mount if you just stayed STC and FPS would not matter at all if you got rid of the DSLR style camera idea altogether . Just need the correct Alpa plates for each back.

Guy Mancuso

Let me ask a important question though. Given the lens we still have to consider image circle for your back. Let's say a Canon 85 1.2 for instance it sounds like you may be very restricted by image circle to do any stitching. Certainly could do panos though.

Guy Mancuso

Crap the more I read this the more I want one of these damn things. fast someone send handcuffs and pin my damn hands to the armchair and keep my hands off the dang buy button. LOL

Now I'm starting to feel jealous. ROTFLMAO

Steve Hendrix

Let me ask a important question though. Given the lens we still have to consider image circle for your back. Let's say a Canon 85 1.2 for instance it sounds like you may be very restricted by image circle to do any stitching. Certainly could do panos though.

Actually, I'm going to edit my post, because the other important key to the FPS camera is the advent of MFDB models with usable live view, like the Phase One IQ250. I played with the Canon 85mm on the FPS a few weeks back, and I think it covers fine with the IQ250 (there may be some slight vignetting). But the other step is that to focus, you'd need usable live view - especially with that lens!

It's a playground sandbox for lenses, there's so many options, and more will become compatible. The FPS Camera combined with the Phase One IQ250 is like mirrorless cameras for grownups! And before anyone gets upset, hey, I have an original Panasonic GF1 with a FotoDiox Minolta Adapter and several lenses, like the Rokkor 50mm/1.7, etc. ;-)

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Last edited:

gerald.d

Actually, I'm going to edit my post, because the other important key to the FPS camera is the advent of MFDB models with usable live view, like the Phase One IQ250. I played with the Canon 85mm on the FPS a few weeks back, and I think it covers fine with the IQ250 (there may be some slight vignetting). But the other step is that to focus, you'd need usable live view - especially with that lens!

It's a playground sandbox for lenses, there's so many options, and more will become compatible. The FPS Camera combined with the Phase One IQ250 is like mirrorless cameras for grownups! And before anyone gets upset, hey, I have an original Panasonic GF1 with a FotoDiox Minolta Adapter and several lenses, like the Rokkor 50mm/1.7, etc. ;-)

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
I tested out an IQ250/FPS/Canon 17mm TS-E yesterday evening.

Game changer.

young'ee

Ahhh , well here it is........ 5.00am and bleary eyed - it was only a few hours ago i was sitting up late posting away unable to tear myself away......

The thought struck me as i was going to sleep a few hours ago....... The Sony A7 lets you change lenses and bolt all sorts of stuff on the front - the FPS does the same but goes a whole lot further..with the FPS you can change your sensor! If you have several backs with different "looks" you can chose the Sensor and the lens ....... i dont know of any other platform that let s me do that.

Is there one out there that does this apart from the FPS ?

Ahhh so now its 700klms of African goat track to traverse to get to this down site.... sometimes i miss life in the burbs........

kdphotography

The Hartblei Hcam is similar in function to the Alpa FPS.

But I'll place bets on an Alpa STC, so you might as well stay Alpa and get the FPS.

IQ250 on the FPS was pretty cool when I saw it....

ken

DHW-Jhartje

Hi young'ee,

As you might see, I'm an employee of DHW and we produce all the professional Rolleiflex equipment like the Hy6 and its lens program. So I have to admit that I'm more than just a bit biased concerning reflex cameras. So I won't give you any recommendations here. But I think we could figure out a way that you could get your hands on our system even without a partner in your area.
I think we are nearly in the same time zone so just send me a mail or give me a call.

[email protected]
+49-531-6800-320

Best regards,

Johannes