The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

shlomi

I've looked into that, and some users report having success connecting certain video cameras with these adapters. There are many different things that can go over firewire, and I'm quite sure it is not possible to tether a digital back over a USB-FW adapter, but it seems like for certain programs and certain adapters made for those programs, this conversion is possible.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There are *zero* ways to get a FW-only digital back to connect to a USB-only computer for the purpose of tethering. It comes up every once in a while and someone mistakes the USB:FW plug adapters you can find on eBay for the start of such a solution. I'll spare the forum a repeat of the full explanation, but trust me when I say you should not bother continuing to look. It's absolutely not possible.

(I'm not saying it wouldn't be neat, or that it's not a noble goal. Only that it's not possible.)

sc_john

What is the system overhead including Win 8 with SP2. For example with 256GB storage model, assuming no other software is installed other than what came with the tablet, how much is storage space is available for C1 v7 and image files?

Also, Ken and others... Thanks for developing and sharing this idea. Great solution for in-field tech camera work.

John

Paul2660

Just a couple more things I have leaerned:

I now have 2 external batteries to help extend the life. The MikeGyver ver brand 26000 Millamp and my old Hyperjuice battery I had purchased to use with a Macbook air. The MikeGyver DC plug fits both batteries, and the Hyperjuice is 2x less weight/charge so it's nice to take in a pack.

Turn your wifi off in the field, as the Pro will continue to keep searching, and that does take some battery.

If you have a AnitVirus installed, I do, turn it off as again, it will take some cycles from the processor.

Paul

Paul2660

What is the system overhead including Win 8 with SP2. For example with 256GB storage model, assuming no other software is installed other than what came with the tablet, how much is storage space is available for C1 v7 and image files?

Also, Ken and others... Thanks for developing and sharing this idea. Great solution for in-field tech camera work.

John
About 30 Percent on my machine. This is in balanced mode. This will spike during the transfer, to over 70%, but drops right back.

Right now in Arkansas, with 100% humidity, pretty much no matter when I run the Pro2, I will kick on the fan pretty fast, so now I am only using to setup the shot, then turn off Pro and using the card. Makes for a broken up shoot, but the fan really sucks the juice, and the unit will over heat. You will get a quick message to turn off.

Can't be beaten for tech camera shot setup IMO.

Paul

sc_john

Paul,

Thanks. I am currently working with MBA 11" for tethered shooting via USB3. Need to think a bit more if change to SP2 (or 3) is worth it; trying to get as much info as I can. Thanks again.

John

kdphotography

John,

On a SP2 with 512 GB storage, I have about 435GB available. I don't have many other programs other than C1 Pro 7 DB, Photographers Ephemeris, and Malwarebytes. I have not "cleaned" the SP2 of the other surplusage programs, which would free up more space probably. I also have a 64GB Micro sd card as backup in the slot if I need more space; you can use up to 128GB card at the moment for even more space.

SP2 works great for me now, though the SP3 is tempting with its slightly larger screen. But it is the tablet form factor that makes tethering with the Surface Pro such a great option over laptops.

You really don't need "all the accessories" with the SP2---I leave mine off when tethering. Arkon clamp runs about $50 and a USB3 1.5 foot cord is about $8. The Surface Pro is the best upgrade and a helluva lot less expensive than an upgrade to the IQ2 with its very limited WiFi to Ipad capability. Surface Pro tethered option beats IQ2 WiFi hands-down, imho.

ken

p.s. USB3 thumbdrives make it easy to transfer session folders (raws) to your main workstation for processing, and also can serve as temporary storage if needed to free up space on your SP hard drive. I've seen relatively inexpensive USB thumbdrives with 256GB capacity, not quite Sandisk performance, but still pretty fast.

Last edited:

alajuela

John,

On a SP2 with 512 GB storage, I have about 435GB available. I don't have many other programs other than C1 Pro 7 DB, Photographers Ephemeris, and Malwarebytes. I have not "cleaned" the SP2 of the other surplusage programs, which would free up more space probably. I also have a 64GB Micro sd card as backup in the slot if I need more space; you can use up to 128GB card at the moment for even more space.

SP2 works great for me now, though the SP3 is tempting with its slightly larger screen. But it is the tablet form factor that makes tethering with the Surface Pro such a great option over laptops.

You really don't need "all the accessories" with the SP2---I leave mine off when tethering. Arkon clamp runs about $50 and a USB3 1.5 foot cord is about $8. The Surface Pro is the best upgrade and a helluva lot less expensive than an upgrade to the IQ2 with its very limited WiFi to Ipad capability. Surface Pro tethered option beats IQ2 WiFi hands-down, imho.

ken
Hi Ken

I took your advice, got the stuff and will try this weekend. I am excited to try it out.

This is really great you did this is such detail.

I want to thank all who contributed to this thread.

My Mac Air will see service with the P45+ -

Thanks again

Phil
Off Topic, I know you are a great printer, and I have just tried printing on rice paper. (Usually I use Luster and Hot Press Bright sometimes Velvet with Image Print 4900) It is really nice - soft and a different look , is only 90 grams so I am experimenting with ink flow percentage think about 80 - 85% will be the answer. .

sc_john

John,

ken

p.s. USB3 thumbdrives make it easy to transfer session folders (raws) to your main workstation for processing, and also can serve as temporary storage if needed to free up space on your SP hard drive. I've seen relatively inexpensive USB thumbdrives with 256GB capacity, not quite Sandisk performance, but still pretty fast.
Ken,

Thanks for your response and all of your work on this great approach to tethering. I am using many of your suggestions… USB3 tether, C1-7, thumb drive for transfer to main computer. Only thing I am still trying to decide is cost benefit of MBA 11' vs Surface Pro tablet, since I already have MBA 11' w/ 8GB memory and 256GB SSD. I guess next step will be to visit Best Buy or other retailer to check screens side-by-side.

I find the most convenient way to handle MBA is to place it in a "stone bag" attached to tripod. (Vanguard SB-100 Stone Bag SB-100 B&H Photo Video) When setting-up shot, I open laptop, turn my back to sun to shade screen and check focus, composition. Much easier to work with than Capture Pilot, which until the recent release of V1.6 wouldn't even work with my iPad Mini-Retina.

Thanks again for this thread!

John

kdphotography

I forgot to mention that the touchscreen capability really makes the Surface Pro tethering option feel more like a natural extension of the IQ MFDB screen. It makes it really intuitive and easy to use.

If you're down in my area of the CA central coast, you're free to visit, compare and try the Surface Pro alongside your MBA.

ken

sc_john

Ken,

Thanks for the additional info and offer to visit and compare SP screen vs MBA. I am in Charleston SC, so I probably won't be on Central CA coast any time soon. :(

John

mesposito

I forgot to mention that the touchscreen capability really makes the Surface Pro tethering option feel more like a natural extension of the IQ MFDB screen. It makes it really intuitive and easy to use.

If you're down in my area of the CA central coast, you're free to visit, compare and try the Surface Pro alongside your MBA.

ken
I tried the SP 3 today. The screen is beautiful, and makes the device more usable, but it's tricky as it gets a bit large for the kind of solution described here. It's going to look a bit large hanging on the tripod.

I also asked the Microsoft guy if they were phasing out the SP2. He says No, but I don't think he really knew. If they are phased out, the SP2 might be the only surface device that really fits the bill for this application.

I use the SP2 as my travel computer now, so it's advantageous to have the slightly larger screen. It definitely feels like what MS envisions these days, a Laptop/Tablet device. It's quite a bit thinner, so will feel more like a tablet than the SP2 does.

Anyone going to try? They arrive June 20th. PreOrder probably a must.

kdphotography

I think there are at least a couple here that have pre-ordered the SP3. I'll wait a bit as my SP2 is still pretty new. The biggest attraction for me is the slightly larger screen as that is more relief for tired old middle-aged eyes. Lighter weight is a plus too, as long as the SP3 can lay flat/pack well inside the backpack. I don't know if a jump to the Core i7 chip will make much difference over the Core i5 for initial image rendering for viewing in C1 Pro 7 DB. I don't use the Surface Pro for processing raws. More RAM is always welcome as that does help with faster initial image rendering when tethered.

My only concern is making sure the SP3 can still fit the Arkon clamp. I'm told that it should. If not, and a larger clamp is needed, it will add to overall weight and limit portability of the system more. Right now with the SP2, the total weight with clamp is about three pounds total. With SP3 and the same Arkon clamp overall weight should be lighter yet.

Better screen and lighter weight. What's not to like? :)

ken

p.s. What if----Phase One could swap out the FW port on P+ series MFDBs, and slip in a USB3 card and port for a fee? That would be a worthwhile upgrade from Denmark and certainly breath new life and excitement into MFDBs with small screens.

Last edited:

Paul2660

The p65 with USB3 would be a great entry level back but I don't think Phase will ever do that.

I preordered a 3 but stayed with i5 since I have yet to see any version of the i7 that runs cool and doesn't need a lot of fan.

My pro 2 now kicks in the fan pretty soon outdoors since we are now into our regular heat/humidity levels. Seems to need it even in the shade. So now I just use it for step up of the shot and then a few test shots. Then I go back to the card.

Ken asked me to show my solution for connecting the Surface to the tripod. All my tripods have leveling bases on top. I use a 19740 Tablet PC holder - blackEAN: 401684282457 from König & Meyer ( via Amazon), screw it to a RRS B76E plate and fix it to a RRS CRD-Rail that goes into the clamp of the leveling base. My ball heads and the Cube have RRS TH-DVTL-55 Dovetail plates on bottom so I can change them in a moment. If I don't need the Surface, I simply take out that CRD-Rail part and fix the Cube to the leveling base. Hope it helps.

Wolfgang

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Excellent setup - see Ken, I can be humbled by somebody else's Alpa - that XY & FPS combo is awesome.

I hate the tripod leg mount so normally don't bother. The mount on the tripod base though looks very useful. Parts ordered ...

Don Libby

I like this concept a lot as it looks like it'll be a slightly smaller footprint yet more stable than the leg setup.

I too have quick release plate on both the Cube and ballhead and on all my tripods. Looking at the setup it looks like CRD rail will sit inbetween the tripod and the Cube. I searched for a B76E and found a B76 instead which should be the same plate. An additional FAS clamp will be needed on the CRD rail to mount the Cube.

Have everything stored in the RRS wishlist for now.

Good work! (I also have the PC holder stored in Amazon)

Let me know what you think Graham when you get this....