The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

kdphotography

I think Wolfgang's set up looks to be more stable and a smaller packing footprint. Weight is probably negligible.

I'm wondering if I can use my RRS nodal slide rail (MPR-CL II) and maybe with added RRS clamps/parts instead of having to buy the CRD rail. My thought is to make the MPR-CL II do double duty and pack less in the pack. One rail with two possible functions instead of packing two rails. Need the FAS clamp and B76 though....

CI in Lake Tahoe, Graham. I wanna see your new set up---that includes your new 500+hp camera bag. :ROTFL:

ken

Don Libby

Ken, if I get around to it in time I should have this when we meet in Tahoe next month, just too good to pass up. Looks like a great/sturdy setup.

kdphotography

Snooping out RRS site now. And Amazon. I think this clamp is heavier. No free lunch. Still like the profile as it appears easier to tuck into the bag...

Don Libby

The K&M tablet arrived this afternoon. The short story is the SP3 fits. I like the compactness and weight. The rest from RRS arrives Wed. I'll admit to being worried about the fit of the SP3. More later...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just a heads up that the tablet gimbel base requires a 3/8" bolt, not the 1/4" bolt that comes with the RRS B76 plate.

It looks like you have a couple of options - either use a tripod bushing or alternatively the MPR-73 with 3/8" bolt. I didn't have a spare bushing sitting around to test the fit but it looks standard enough. The MPR-73 3/8" works just fine.

Don Libby

When Ken and I first began looking at tethering a SP the weakest link was the tablet holder that attached to the legs of the tripod. The first time I used the setup was at Valley of Fire State Park after hiking out to Fire Wave. Everything set up as it had on the patio however I felt the SP attachment felt very flimsy to the point I broke it down just to move it several yards.

Then Wolfgang shared his solution to which I give many thanks. This is a solution where I bang my head against the wall and ask why didn't I think of that...

I upgraded the SP2 to the larger SP3 and while it still fit the "old" system it was just as if not more flimsy as before with the SP2. I have also began carrying the SP3 in a UAG protective shell which had to be removed to tether. Not any more, again thanks to Wolfgang (lets see how many time I can thank him :)).

Using the list supplied by Wolfgang (again, thanks for sharing) I went first to Amazon and ordered the K&M 19740 holder. That arrived first and I immediately tested it with my SP3 with the UAG case on. It fits perfectly. I then ordered the RRS parts, FAS sliding clamp, CRD-rail, and a spare B-76 plate which arrived while I was out of town.

I'm providing 2-sample images, one-mounted on my regular tripod and the other, mounted on my RRS ground pod. I have QR on all my tripods, ground, and Kirk window/ground pod. I can very easily remove either my Cube or RRS BH-40 and swap in-between them. Previously, I could only tether using my tripod however thanks to Wolfgang I can now tether to anything I set my camera on!

Graham is totally correct in that you need a bushing reducer which I had several (Graham, want me to send you one?)

Don

Don, thank you for your kind words, I am happy to give an input to people who gave my a lot of photographic help by reading the forum and I can give every thanks back. :):):):)

Kind regards

Wolfgang

kdphotography

I really like the Wolf(gang) clamp. I've updated my blog on Tethering with the Surface Pro equipment list to reflect this option.

I don't necessarily think the precision of RRS is needed here and think that a lesser rail with end clamp from Sunwayfoto would work fine. But there isn't a substitute for the Wolf clamp. I'll be experimenting if I can use a RRS MPR-CL II nodal rail since I already have one. The Wolf clamp definitely packs nicer than the Arkon.

ken

Don Libby

There's three QR clamps, one on the tripod, one on the rail and one on the Cube.

I forgot to add that I put a little Loctite before fastening the smaller plate to the tablet holder. I'll also be adding a drop to the reducer as well. Yeah, I'm a belt and suspenders type guy.

I also changed the configuration slightly by flipping the bar upside down from what it looks like in the photos thus raising the SP ever so slightly. I've also experimented with the general placement of the rail in relationship to the tripod head and the Cube and moved it back to the rear as shown.

So, with this we have a Doo tethering system which is stabilized by a Wolf clamping system. I will of course have his with me in Tahoe this April.

Paul2660

Don,

Thanks for sharing.

I had a couple of questions.

You wrote:

"I have also began carrying the SP3 in a UAG protective shell which had to be removed to tether. Not any more, again thanks to Wolfgang"

I was trying to figure out what changed so that you did not have to remove the UAG case to tether with Wolfgang's setup? I have been looking at the UAG case and it seems like a good solution for the 3. I assume from the pics, you set your Sur3 upside down to have the USB3 port on the left? i.e built in camera is at the bottom.

Do you feel this solution add's any more weight? or overall are the about the same. No doubt this is more sturdy.

Thanks
Paul

Don Libby

Hi Paul

The UAG does add weight. However the advantages of extra protection is well worth it. Using the older method of tethering, I had to remove the UAG as it was a tad too bulky to fit properly however with the new K&M holder I don't.

You are correct, I reversed the SP3 to place the USB closer as I'm using a short cable.

Weight wise, I'm really not certain how much additional weight is added. Of course adding the 3-RRS components will add (packing) weight but here again I feel having better stability is worth whatever extra weight there is. I'll weigh both systems if I get a chance and report back.

Don

Paul2660

Hi Don,

Thanks, I agree the added weight gain is probably worth it as it allows perfect placement of the Sur3.

I should have thought of rotating the Sur3, never thought of that. The Surface doesn't care. I had missed having the USB on the left.

Now it's off to RRS. I had a few parts I can use but need the rail.

BTW does anyone know of a USB3 cable A to B, that has a 90 degree on the part that would go into the Surface3?

Thanks
Paul

kdphotography

Paul,

Don and I both have the 90 degree A-B USB3 cables for tethering with the SP. I know that these were custom made and were expensive at the time. I wouldn't have done it on my own! They are probably of higher quality than the cheap USB3 cables ala Amazon.

There are 90 degree angle adapters, but I would not use those---at least the ones I tried either did not work, or only worked at USB2 speeds.

But I also think that things have changed a bit since acquiring the USB angle adapter awhile back. Take a look: USB 3.0

This is the company that did the original short USB3 prototypes that Don and I have. It looks like they now offer the angled USB3 A to B in a variety of sizes now. The one I have is 18 inches. They sell a 20 inch cable. They have a bunch of them: double left, double right, up-down. I need more coffee before I can figure out which is the right one to get! I *think* you need a double-left.

I know the prices list are a LOT less then the custom made cables...:) I can handle fifteen bucks!

Ken

Paul2660

Ken, thank a million, just what I wanted.

This is the one I am going to order, I assume that the 90 and the A (part going to Phase One back) will still fit, even with the 90?

Paul

kdphotography

I *think* that will work. The cable I have is only left angle on the SP side and still a straight plug into the MFDB. I've had my coffee already and am still dizzy trying to turn the images of the plugs every which way trying to determine which is the right (or left) plug to get!:confused::facesmack:

Luckily I already have my angled USB3 cord. So we're all waiting to hear what you order and how that works out for you. :ROTFL:

ken