The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Paul2660

It was funny to watch the teams trying to use them last year. About 1/2 went back to the old photos method. But some of new PC literate guys like Brady and Andrew Luck seemed to like them.

The case is a light blue and totally wraps around the Sur3. They still somehow have a touch screen so I am not sure if Microsoft just made a special case just for the NFL, considering that it's a 400 Million dollar deal, I bet they were willing to make a new case. :angel:

Paul

kdphotography

Uncanny how the NFL case color looks like Phase One blue...

;)

Hey, Don! How much does the NFL Surface Pro case weigh? :ROTFL:

Don Libby

Not sure of the weight as I'm no longer bored today! Amazon lists the shipping weight as 1.1 pounds. Next time I'm bored I'll weigh mine. I've got the sleek ninja black so it probably won't weight much...

Paul2660

I am using the UAG case on both the 2 and 3 thanks to Don. The case offers better corner protection for sure. I just wish they had a strap to hold the keyboard in place when carrying it. Seems to fit the 3 a bit better than the 2. Great case.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have the UAG in red with orange tether tools cables - not going to lose those in the brush :) (The black Phase One cables are great but easy to misplace in the wild if you're not vigilant - my pet peeve about most camera bags with black interiors - what are they thinking??)

Jamgolf

I've ordered this bracket for SP2. It has a u-bolt type attaching mechamism and looks well built. I will report my impressions when get/use it.

Heavy Duty x Grip Motorcycle Mount Holder for Microsoft Surface RT 2 Pro Pro 2 | eBay
This bracket arrived today and I think its a viable option (at least for me).
The u-bolt attachment will remain on the tripod permamently. Bracket attaches to it via a ball-clamp in just a couple of seconds. With two balls on either end, the flexibility is very good and the tablet can be positioned essentially which ever way one wants. Claws are spring loaded and will keep the tablet secure. There is another set of claws thats supposed to go on the side but I have not attached them for now.

Here are some pictures in case someone else ever wants a similar setup ...

Don Libby

Looks good. I've used various RAM products in the past and they have all work well. The only question I have stems from using a similar tripod leg setup - how stable is it? I had put everything together testing it in my backyard and thought I'd have no problems on to find that I was very leery of doing any movements past a couple feet without first removing the SP. Again, this is only from a landscape viewpoint as I was on a very rocky uneven ground in Valley of Fire and had want to relocate several yards from my first shot. Indoors should really matter.

This is great seeing other ways to mount and tether the SP.

Don

Jamgolf

Looks good. I've used various RAM products in the past and they have all work well. The only question I have stems from using a similar tripod leg setup - how stable is it? I had put everything together testing it in my backyard and thought I'd have no problems on to find that I was very leery of doing any movements past a couple feet without first removing the SP. Again, this is only from a landscape viewpoint as I was on a very rocky uneven ground in Valley of Fire and had want to relocate several yards from my first shot. Indoors should really matter.

This is great seeing other ways to mount and tether the SP.

Don
Thanks Don. I have not had a chance to try it outdoors in the field, so can't say whether moving around would be possible. I certainly hope so. Supposedly its designed for motorcycle handle bars. I dont know who would use it for that purpose but that does give me hope that relocating a few yards would not be a problem (hopefully).

Don Libby

Going over in my head on what worked and what didn't work today.

I spent the morning shooting the Mesquite Sand Dunes in Death Valley tethered. First thoughts (and bear with me as I'm tired from being up since 3am driving in from Kingman) everything worked well. The new Wolf clamping system is rock solid. Moving the SP off the leg gives me more confidence in moving without removing the SP. I shot with my normal tripod which at one point on top of a dune I shot at ground level all while tethered.

The SP3 works better upside down when using a shorter USB cable. The only thing I might change is getting a QR that also does panning that way I can move the SP3 along with the Cambo.

I have a couple shots of the setup however they will need to wait until later before posting.

The only issue is the glare.

More later

Don

dchew

...The only thing I might change is getting a QR that also does panning that way I can move the SP3 along with the Cambo.
Don,
Your comment is something I was wondering about, being able to spin the whole assembly.

I'm about to to take this whole plunge from SP3 to wolf-doo mounting system, but I'm struggling with the RRS options. I'd rather not get the leveling base with clamp then another panning base that clamps to that, then clamp the cube/D4/BH-40 to that. Pretty soon it turns into clamp city.

Does RRS make a panning base with a flat bottom (not dovetail)? If so I could get a leveling base w/o clamp, and mount the panning base directly onto that. Then ballhead(s) w/ round dovetail plates. Can't find one anywhere on the site though...

Oh, and great info on this thread!

Dave

kdphotography

Dave,

I think what you are looking for is something like this panning clamp from Sunwayfoto: Sunwayfoto DDH-02i Panning Clamp DDH-02I B&H Photo Video

I'm pretty sure RRS offers their PCL without the dovetail.

But frankly, I think it's best to keep it simple. As you start adding more and more to the bracket system, it invariably adds more weight, size, and complexity. But that's also the beauty of this system is that you can easily modify the mounting system to meet your needs.

I can confirm that the RRS nodal rail (MPR-CL II) does work in lieu of the CRD rail, and I think the nodal rail with its clamp on top (at the end) may be marginally more stable than using the end clamp on the CRD to hold the Wolf clamp.

ken

Don Libby

Dave, my thoughts on a panning camp came after I had set it up yesterday right-side up with the USB on the right. I've got a 1' cord (need to check measurement) which was able to reach. As I was shooting on top of the sand dune I saw yet something else I wanted to capture so began panning the camera that way. Couldn't do it as the cord was too short. I discounted the P3 and after turning it up-side down and reconnecting I was able to do it. Just a lessons learned thing; the SP3 works just as well upside down so will continue that way.

I think also that if you shoot in the environment I normally find myself (SW desert) then either a big blower or canned air is a must back at your car. Sitting on top of the sand dunes yesterday it was very windy and at some time it felt more like sleet being blown. Sand got every where! As harsh as the conditions were the all the equipment worked as they should. Sorry I can't share the image here yet but if anyone is on Instagram there's a shot (which I' be sharing here) taken with my phone of the setup nestled in the sand.

Bottom line on the panning clamp - if you turn the P3 upside down and have a medium length cord you should have no problems. When I wrote yesterday I ad been up for just over 16-hours and slightly tired so sorry for the confusion.

I should be able to share photos tonight when I get into Tahoe.

stephengilbert

"I'm pretty sure RRS offers their PCL without the dovetail."

Not anymore. The old version was the PCL-1, and had a flat base without dovetail. You might find one used, or find someone here who has the old version and wants to "upgrade."

dchew

Thanks guys. Based on Don's post I will just go without the panning base and get going. I'm still hanging my finger over the buy button because the one thing I like about the ground glass is the ability to see what a stitched image looks like. I made 54x76 and 40x90 masks that really help. Of course I could still use the gg for framing those images, but carrying that around (and loupe) along with all this stuff isn't the weight direction I like...

But the benefits of this appear to be significant.

Dave

Don Libby

Hope this comes out okay. I took this shot with my Droid and had posted it on Instagram; I copied it to paste here.

Full size tripod with Cube and SP3 tethered to a WRS. Sitting on top of a sand dune just prior to a huge gust of wind blowing sand into everything.

dchew

Don,
Last time I was there was 2011 on the PODAS workshop where Guy introduced me to Dante. Went out the last morning with one other worshop member (cuz you know, we hadn't had enough!). It was windy like that. P65+ I had just taken temporary ownership of (the IQ 180's weren't delivered yet), wind howling, new Alpa, changing lenses, etc. That's when I realized technical cameras were the perfect fit for me. I loved it.

The good news: no footprints!

Dave