The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Don Libby

Welcome to the nuthouse err forum Ross

I've been shooting with a Cambo WRS for close to 7-years now and in that time I've used viewfinders, groundglass and Ouija boards to compose, check focus and filter placements. They all worked to a certain degree (okay maybe not the Ouija board :D ).

The very best thing that could happen is the introduction of the Surface Pro. I started with the SP2 when if first came out and found it did an adequate job. The SP2 I had was a 4th gen Intel Core I5, 8GB RAM and 256 storage. This was more than enough to run C1-Pro and handle IQ160 files.

My current SP3 is built slightly beefier since I'm also handling larger IQ180 files. The SP3 I'm using now is an i7 256GB 8GB RAM. Same amount of RAM & storage but slightly faster.

The main reason I switch was the screen which is not only larger but has better resolution.

In the end, Paul is correct, either the 2 or 3 will do the job just make certain you have 8GB RAM.

Don

Don Libby

A brief (I hope) update on the PerfectFit Anti-Glare Premium Tempered Glass for the SP3.

Shortly after ordering the second one I found that I could get a replacement by paying $7.18 (includes shipping) so I did. Got both the second order as well as the replacement today. No questions no hassle on the replacement screen. Sign of a good company.

Outside isn't the best place to be right now and I wanted to show a "before" and "after" so shot the screen of the SP3 turned off. The before is like a mirror and you can clearly see me in it. The after is at least 50% defused much like I remember when I actually tried this outside before I broke the first one.

Color of the screen looks just as sharp as it did prior to installing it. The bigger news is that while researching anti-glare screen protectors I found that they don't all play well with the pen. I'm pleased to say that isn't the case here. My limited use of the pen prior to writing this (using the PS3) is that I could not find any difference.

So, in short (yeah I know :angel: ) this works great. The only downside is it doesn't play well with a UAG case. Of the two, I'd rather have this...

Don

I'll includes the pics tomorrow

Don Libby

Here's the before and after images showing the effects of the anti-glare

I had wanted to show this outside however it was a mixture of heavy clouds and rain most of the day yesterday. These were taken inside at the same place with the same lighting conditions.

Don

Don Libby

First, if you're getting tire of all this just let me know and I'll scale things back.

Today is a bright sunny day with nice clouds just outside of Tucson. Took the WRS/SP3 outside to play. Normally under these same conditions I'd have to have a dark cloth to even attempt to see the screen. Not so today with the anti-glare screen. Make no mistake - it's far from perfect. Not expect to be able to see as if you were inside; however it worked. I've got the screen brightness on max and I was able to see my screen much better outside in bight sunshine (close to 2 P.M.) than ever before. I was able to pick up the green focus mask and red warnings. Double taping the screen brought everything closer to double check. The reduction might not be a full 50% (subjective at this point) but it does help one hell of a lot.

I tried to shoot the screen however it doesn't capture well with the coating, instead it mutes is a lot so it wouldn't do the product justice.

Okay that about all I can say bout the anti-glare. I've been able to reduce it to the point that the screen is now usable under bight Arizona skies. Any more is like :deadhorse:

Don

kdphotography

This is a new lightweight clamping system for the Surface Pro that I've found. I don't see it as a replacement for the Wolf clamp, but rather as a supplemental clamping system for those times when you really want a low profile, small, and super lightweight clamping option.

The only drawback that I see with the Wolf clamp is that the adjustment mechanism means it takes up room in the pack. It is still a vast improvement in that regard over the original Arkon clamp. While this new clamp is lighter and packs smaller, it compromises being able to adjust screen angle and is not a heavy duty solution. But for lightening the load and packing small, it can't be beat---nor can its <$10 price tag! I'll have a handful of these clamps available at CI in Lake Tahoe next month.

Photos show comparison to the Wolf clamp. Btw, that's a new geared ball head that I'm reviewing and will also be at CI in Lake Tahoe. It's solid.

Btw, being able to set three focus points in live view on the Surface Pro is a really cool feature. At this point, I think the biggest challenge facing any tethered option (and MFDB screens too) is glare. There are some helpful options but I haven't seen a definitive answer.

ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In my own case I find that glare is the biggest problem overall. I still find myself using a longer USB cable when I shoot tethered and having the SP3 loose so that I can put myself between the sun and the screen to eliminate glare.

kdphotography

Yes---for the Wolf Clamp SP tethering version, your shopping list is correct. At the bottom of my original blog article, https://kendoophotography.wordpress...s-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/ I have an updated equipment shopping list.

I will have a handful of the lightweight "hiking" clamps available at CI in Lake Tahoe.

ken

Last edited:

Don Libby

You might want to double check that QR plate, all you really need is a small plate to mate the holder to the rail. Forgot which one I'm using and right down the studio is being worked on.

kdphotography

Any inexpensive plate will work to attach the Wolf clamp or the lightweight clamp to the rail----I'm using a cheapie AS quick release plate that I found in my studio junk drawer on the small clamp holder and a small Kirk AS plate on the Wolf clamp.

We need a "name" for this new low profile lightweight hiking clamp....

ken

Don Libby

My SP3 with 8GB RAM has seen some heavy lifting processing the IQ180 files. I've tethered and later on done light processing using a combination of C1 and PS so I know that this works for me. Will consider 16GB RAM? In many ways I'd be a fool not to however since my SP3 is barely a year old I'll wait a little longer before jumping like I did from the SP2 to 3.

The one thing that might make it easier for me to jump to the 4 is if it comes out with 2-USB3 ports.

Don