The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

kdphotography

I think the Surface 3 may be under-powered with its Intel Atom processor to run C1 Pro 8 effectively. Confusing naming conventions if you ask me. Surface Pro versions run Intel Core i5 and i7 processors which work great for tethering with C1 Pro 8.

I'm sorta torn between larger screen versions SP2 10" versus SP4 12" and possibly 14" screens---for size/weight/portability. Btw, Paul just confirmed the new light hiker clamp does work on the SP3 also, but really doubtful it could handle 14"!

ken

Don Libby

I also have reservations on a SP Lite. It might be able to run C1 Pro 8 tethered but I think there'd be a bottleneck that might slow it down too much. My SP-3 works great as configured and don't feel the need to work backwards. I like the concept of the SP4 with more RAM but so far have been unable to find out if it'll have 1 or 2 USB ports.

jagsiva

I agree. The biggest single benefit for me in tethering is image review, especially with the hi-res capability now introduced in C1 8.2. I'm not sure an Atom processor will navigate one of these previews in near-realtime as we would need for a good workflow.

Mike203

I can't quite seem to find a straight answer on this. I have a Surface Pro 3. I'm looking to shoot tethered to Capture One while simultaneously batch processing TIFFs to an external drive. Do I simply need a USB 3.0 hub? Should it be a DC-powered one? Thanks so much.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you are using a USB 3.0 external drive then yes a hub will be required. A passive USB 3 hub will be ok but obviously you will be pulling power from the surface pro 3 so that will be some battery load. You shouldn't really see any significant impacts on the tethered flow assuming that everything is running true USB 3 data rates.

Marlyn

If you are using a USB 3.0 external drive then yes a hub will be required. A passive USB 3 hub will be ok but obviously you will be pulling power from the surface pro 3 so that will be some battery load. You shouldn't really see any significant impacts on the tethered flow assuming that everything is running true USB 3 data rates.
In my tests last year, Surface Pro 3 just doesn't output enough power to drive a passive hub, and drive external hard disks. (not even a 1TB flash drive / key). it 'kinda of works' but you find once copies start, things drop out.
Caveat: These tests were with a card reader and a hard disk however, not a tethered IQ. May be ok as the IQ won't be drawing power. I'll have to try that.

You may need to add a powered Hub, and a USB Battery. I use a little Targus hub, and USB power cable, either from the Surface Pro powersupply (when near a powerpoint), or a USB 3 portable battery (when not).
This is with a Kingston 1Tb USB 3 Thumb Drive I use when going super lightweight, even for computer.

Desperately hoping the Pro 4 has 2 USB ports.

On a side topic, I'm just revisiting my IQ160/Cambo and found this thread / ken's blog an Exceptional source of information. Amazon is currently winging many of the component to build the tether /mounting system in my direction.
I thank you all for the work put into this evolution !.

Headed to the Arctic in a few weeks to shoot polar bears in the ice pack, I wasn't going to take the Phase, (Canon Kit, 1Dx, 5DS, the usual array of long glass for wildlife) but maybe it will just have to come along anyway...

Regards

Mark.

rga

I'm not sure if I missed this or just can't find it, but is there a way to configure tethering the Surface to my IQ160 so that the images are saved to the CF card?
Thanks,
Bob

kdphotography

I'm not sure if I missed this or just can't find it, but is there a way to configure tethering the Surface to my IQ160 so that the images are saved to the CF card?
Thanks,
Bob
Actually, recent FW updates for IQ series MFDBs (not the latest one for the XF---don't use that one yet!) does allow some choice with regard to storage of your images. On your IQ, go to MENU, then to STORAGE OPTIONS. You can choose AUTO, CF, FIREWIRE, or USB.

When tethered, if you select AUTO or USB, the image file will store automatically to the Surface Pro. (Firewire? what the hell is that :D). If you select CF----ta-dah! the image file will store to the CF card even when tethered!

We are probably just about one more FW update and a few more requests to Phase from having the option of saving to CF, Hard drive, or both CF and Harddrive. I'm sure the last option would take more time and power to write/save, but at least that could be a user-selectable option. Double back-ups!

For now, I'm really happy that Phase One is listening, and we now have the option to choose between CF or Hard drive to save image files when tethered.

:thumbup:

Hope you've checked out my last Blog on Surface Pro clamping options---the last CLITS clamp version 3 is awesome! I'll try and update with yet another video later.

ken

Paul2660

Actually, recent FW updates for IQ series MFDBs (not the latest one for the XF---don't use that one yet!) does allow some choice with regard to storage of your images. On your IQ, go to MENU, then to STORAGE OPTIONS. You can choose AUTO, CF, FIREWIRE, or USB.

When tethered, if you select AUTO or USB, the image file will store automatically to the Surface Pro. (Firewire? what the hell is that :D). If you select CF----ta-dah! the image file will store to the CF card even when tethered!

We are probably just about one more FW update and a few more requests to Phase from having the option of saving to CF, Hard drive, or both CF and Harddrive. I'm sure the last option would take more time and power to write/save, but at least that could be a user-selectable option. Double back-ups!

For now, I'm really happy that Phase One is listening, and we now have the option to choose between CF or Hard drive to save image files when tethered.

:thumbup:

Hope you've checked out my last Blog on Surface Pro clamping options---the last CLITS clamp version 3 is awesome! I'll try and update with yet another video later.

ken
Ken

Can you write to both the card and hard drive? Also what is the last firmware before the one that has the additions for the XF? Do you have that one saved where I could download it.

BTW the magnetic clamp is awesome. I have mine finished and will try to get a video up soon.

Paul

kdphotography

Ken

Can you write to both the card and hard drive? Also what is the last firmware before the one that has the additions for the XF? Do you have that one saved where I could download it.

BTW the magnetic clamp is awesome. I have mine finished and will try to get a video up soon.

Paul

You can only write to the CF card or to the hard drive----not both. I'm hoping that Phase eventually relents and allows the end user this option to decide, adding the ability to save to both CF and hard drive when tethered.

The latest FW is 5.20.1 (right before the XF Firmware which we aren't supposed to install yet!) and can be found at this Dropbox link (along with older FW and the Phase Updater software if you wish): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/258ngmkjxewo04e/AACc8BqAnDOy7BANNftHsnnYa?dl=0 Do NOT use FW6.01.8 which is in a separate folder inside the Dropbox folder until the coast is clear!

ken :)

Paul2660

Has anyone tried this with the new 12" MacBook ? (the 'Air' look alike).

Regards

Mark
I am sure the MacBook will work tether fine but die tongue fixed key board non tablet design I don't think it will work well with Ken's excellent solution.

Paul

Marlyn

All bits finally arrived today from Amazon / B&H for trying this out. (I am in the middle east, I SO miss 'overnight' deliveries :( )

After initial construction, I have to say I'm impressed. It is simple, elegant and practical solution to the mounting problem. Thank you Ken, Don, and all others who have evolved this method over the past year or so.

I tried all 3 methods which are latest on Ken's blog, and at this point settled on the Nano-Clamp - Ball head - CheesePlate - Magnets option as the smallest and most practical solution.

Couple of points.

1. The leg on the Urban Armour case, keeps wanting to move when I adjust the Surface position, or try and take it off (Especially tilt it UP). For now I've stuck the leg down with tape, but wondering if anyone else had this issue.

2. The Gittos Pro mico ballhead seems a bit weak. Really have to tighten it down if I don't want things to move, and that is a bit awkward. Are there any (good) alternatives that are a bit stronger, but don't shoot the weight etc up too much ? Any other experiences with this ?.

Again, thanks Ken/Don and co for the great innovation !.

Regards

Mark.

Paul2660

I noted the same problems.

I used gaffers tape to keep the kick stand in place when I use the UAG case. But most times I just use the Surface naked with the metal plate on the back of the surface.

I agree the micro ball is a bit weak and does not always stay in place even with the knob totally tightened. I need to look for a different micro head. I think Ken was looking at another brand.

The magnets however rock, they are great.

Paul

kdphotography

With the magnetic clamp option (CLITS clamp version 3 is my favorite) it can be a "balancing act" of sorts. It's best to mount the plates as close as possible towards the top of the leg hinge on the UAG case. Also, there will be some variation when attaching the SP, the magnets will catch where you place it, and obviously if you attach closer towards the hinge point, the better balanced it will be. I haven't found the need to use gaffers tape in that regard. I do find it is best to "twist" the SP off of the magnetic clamp though as the magnets are pretty strong!

There is a tension screw I believe that you may be able to adjust the Giottos Mini Ball Head. Maybe there is some variability in quality control, but my ball head is rock solid with the SP2. Easy to adjust and no creep.

For those unfamiliar with this latest tethering clamp system, you can read about it on my blog. I just updated the blog and uploaded a quick video of this latest magnetic clamp version. https://kendoophotography.wordpress...-with-the-surface-pro-evolving-clamp-choices/

If you want a stronger ball head, I don't think it would be difficult to substitute in a different mini-ball head. There will probably be a small hit to size and weight, but I don't think a severe enough hit where it would be significant. I think the biggest drawback is going to be the cost---if you want a small ball head with higher capacity, it will cost more. But also realize in the scheme of things, this particular magnetic clamp option is really quite affordable already. Adding a different ball head shouldn't break the bank.

KPS loaned me a specialty (not for sale, made for a client) mini ball head but it was a bit loose in adjustment, but it obviously far exceeds capacity requirements!

Take a look at RRS BH-25 PF: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Sho...25-PF-Ultra-light-ballhead-with-platform.html This option is only about 3/4" longer. And knowing RRS, I'll place bets that this will resolve any ball head concerns, albeit investing a bit more money. But rather than just guess, I did what any other professional enabler would do: I called Don Libby and told him what I thought would be the virtues of upgrading his magnetic CLITS clamp with the RRS BH-25 PF. :scry: Don has ordered the RRS BH25 PF and will report back here shortly. :grin:

ken

Don Libby

Our conversations (Ken and mine) normally go something likethis "Do you think..." and before the other can finish the thoughtthe other person normally says "Buy It".

I'm now using the magnetic CLITS system and like it with theexception of the mini ballhead. For whatever the reason the ballhead isn't strong enough to support the SP3which is now back to wearing the UAG case.I've also been reluctant to spend any more money on this as it's"okay" the way it is; just not perfect as it needs a strongerballhead.Anyway I placed the order acouple minutes ago so I should have this early next week and will report backonce I have it.

Don

Marlyn

I think I have a BH-25 kicking around here someplace, I'll see if I can find it and give it a go. (I know I have the BH-40, but that's way overkill).

Given the small fortune in Tripod, Heads (Cube, which just got replaces by the KPS Geared head, thanks to Ken's Blog post for that hit to the wallet !), Cambo, IQ, etc etc, whats one more bit :)

Spent most of the afternoon using it, and as a tether system it works great. Very glad you guys put the work in on that one ! Much appreciated.

However, my latest beef, after shooting all afternoon with it, is Capture one. Either I don't know how to drive it properly, and there are ways to set it up better, or the UI designer needs some help with touch input.

So, questions to the experts.

1. I had to set the text scaling on the Surface to MAX to get the icons 'clickable' with a finger, and even thing its a bit ho-hum. What do you guys do ?

2. Click Zoom. Is there a way to set the zoom-to-touch-point (not the slider), to allow zoom in and zoom out at the same time, perhaps by pinch, or some other means, without having to constantly try and click the toolbar, and change 'mode' ? That was by far the biggest frustration and drove me nuts all day. Am I missing something obvious ?

3. Can you be in zoom and Pan mode at the same time, again without have to mode switch ?

4. Is there a way to stop Liveview, without closing the live view window ? (with the tiny 'x' that goes along with doing that).

I think what I'm really asking is,
A: - is there a Touch interface to Capture 1 I'm not seeing that understands multi-touch, gestures and the rest ?

B: - Don, Ken, how do you guys setup the surface, (resolution etc), and C1 for this to be efficient.

Enquiring minds want to know !

Again, much appreciated for all the work into this one !

Regards

Mark.