The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Marlyn

Quick update.

Rattled around the lighting and tripod draws to try a few things. As suspected, any even mid size ballheads are just over kill, heavy etc. They also collide with the nano clamp preventing it from opening far enough to go around tripod legs. Fixable with a spacer, but then it becomes even larger.

I came across this in the lighting draw, which actually works quite well. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325442-REG/Manfrotto_155BKL_155BKL_Double_Ball_Joint.html

Is more bulky, but secures well and gives lots of adjustment for position.

Likely the BH25 will be better however. Just need to know if it impacts the Nano clamp or not.

Regards

Mark.

Paul2660

Our conversations (Ken and mine) normally go something likethis "Do you think..." and before the other can finish the thoughtthe other person normally says "Buy It".

I'm now using the magnetic CLITS system and like it with theexception of the mini ballhead. For whatever the reason the ballhead isn't strong enough to support the SP3which is now back to wearing the UAG case.I've also been reluctant to spend any more money on this as it's"okay" the way it is; just not perfect as it needs a strongerballhead.Anyway I placed the order acouple minutes ago so I should have this early next week and will report backonce I have it.

Don
My system is almost totally complete. I can have the S2 resting out of the way on a tripod leg or put it up front on the mini ball head. I have to say again this a great solution. Both clamps and magnets weigh almost nothing.

I also ordered the bh-25. One thing to note it appears to have a 3/8 inch screw instead of 1/4 20 like the mini ball head. I am referring to the threads on the bottom of the bh-25.

Paul

kdphotography

My system is almost totally complete. I can have the S2 resting out of the way on a tripod leg or put it up front on the mini ball head. I have to say again this a great solution. Both clamps and magnets weigh almost nothing.

I also ordered the bh-25. One thing to note it appears to have a 3/8 inch screw instead of 1/4 20 like the mini ball head. I am referring to the threads on the bottom of the bh-25.

Paul
I think there may be some quality variation as I simply am not having any issues with my Giottos Mini Ballhead (knock on wood!). That being said, I trust the RRS option will be better than the Giottos mini ballhead. The top appears to take a 1/4" thread and the platform should give more stability when the cheeseplate is attached. The bottom is 3/8 screw which can also be reduced to a 1/4 20----not that it matters as the Nano clamp can accept either size bolt. I really like this clamp option! Low priority for me, but I may upgrade to the RRS ball head later down the line.

Ok, so now we wait for the Surface Pro 4, and a better anti-glare screen solution! Anything better than a dark cloth? :)

ken

Marlyn

I got 2 Gittos heads, and both are 'meh'. It does hold fine nt he stuido, but only if tightened down hard, and can be moved by hand. Mainly not sure I want to trust it in the field.

I tightened the little side screw up, didnt' make any difference.

I'm heading to the Arctic in just over a week, so looking forward to trying this out in the field.

Would appreciate any thoughts from the Guru's on the C1 questions above that directly relate with this tethering (i.e. running C1 in Touch mode).

Regards

Mark

Don Libby

Mark, this is whatI've done to my SP3 for tethering...

1. I've locked the screen brightness at max for shooting outdoors.

2. Display is set at Large

3. Whenever I'm out shooting I'll turn off Wi-Fi for betterbattery life.

4. I have a dedicated workspace which I configured to mytaste (Library, Capture and Lens Correction)

5. I haven't been using Liveview enough to make an intelligent response as I'm still kicking the tireon using it. Sorry...

6. I keep the pen handy (I actually have a spare for when I eventuallylose this one).

6a. I use the peninstead of my fat fingers since it works much better and much faster.

7. I've tried puttingthe SP3 back on the leg however found it wasn't for me.This might be in part due to the weakballhead which the BH-25 should fix however I believe it's more to the way Ihave the camera set up.I'm using asmall panning clamp in-between the tripod and the panning rail which allows methe ability to move everything; camera and SP3 at the same time and use asmaller USB3 cable without getting it tangled.I now use a QR panning clamp on the bottom of the rail to attach to thetripod, a QR clamp on the top of the rail to set my Cube into and yes that's alot of QR clamps.I'll post anotherphoto after I get the BH25 Tuesday.

Hope this helps...

Don

Paul2660

Plus one on getting a 2nd pen. I still mainly tether with the S2, but 3rd trip out, dropped the pen into a creek, goodbye. It's a bit hard to use the S2 or S3 without a pen if you have big fingers like me.

One other note, since the magnets allow access to the bottom you can attach the full sized keyboard if you want, and it will stay in place. With the other clamping options, this was not possible since the clamps wrapped around the bottom of the keyboard.

I realize the keyboard adds a bit of weight, but it's a cool feature of the Clits (hope I spelled that right :)). So when I am on a trip where I am not worried as much about weight, I have started bringing the keyboard. Hard to beat it.

I also have a dedicated workspace, pretty much identical to Don's showing just those key parts of C1. I also use the navigator as a floating tool on the workspace, so you can move around and move the navigator box tool if it's in the way of your view.

100% brightness on the screen for both S2 or S3, unless late evening or early morning.

Screen normal on S2, Screen large on S3.

Wifi off, and bluetooth off. I have been shooting in a few places where the S3 saw a iPhone or other phone via bluetooth and attempted a connection.

My BH-25 is in route!!.

Paul

Don Libby

Good point on the keyboard as I keep mine attached as well in transport taking it off when I set it up to tether. The added screen protection more than makes up for the added weight which isn't all that much...

kdphotography

I use a dedicated tethering C1 Pro workspace which is really easy to use since I don't use the SP2 for processing except for the errant file to post. I basically clear as much as possible on C1 Pro to maximize screen real estate when shooting tethering. I use the digitized pen where possible, though I can use my fingers, the pen is more efficient. I adjust brightness as needed. I think one of the best tools which is rarely mentioned is the loupe tool. It is very fast to use and quickly magnify only areas that you wish to examine more critically, edge to edge, center or corners.

I haven't seen anything that is both easily available, not too expensive, and viable as the RRS BH-25PF. Fingers-crossed on good news from both Don and Paul! If not, I'll see if KPS can offer a better answer without breaking the bank. Just love the CLITS clamp!

ken

Marlyn

Thanks for the Replies !.

I use a (different) surface pro 3 as full time work computer, so I have plenty of pens around. ( An SP-3 + OneNote pretty much runs my life in meetings. )

I have a tiny Pen tethered to the WRS to use on the IQ touch screen when wearing gloves, so I think I might modify that to include a tethered Surface pen + IQ tip somehow. I have to have it on a leash or it goes missing in a second.

Will play around with C1-pro some more, frankly I never use it so not that familiar. All my work, other than LCC's, has been done in Lightroom to-date. Guess I should learn.

I agree on Keyboard, and with the UrbanArmour holder it can stay on. I'll either let it flop, or it can go back in the F-stop.

Don: Right now I'm running with the on-leg variant, but I also have the Sunway clamp for the -on-clamp variant. Will see which one wins out in the end, but right now I'm leaning to On-leg.

I recently took out the RRS Leveling plate on my RRS 24-tvcl and have attached the KPS head directly to the tripod, with a RRS-Pano plate on top of it. Seems to work well, and right now the Arca-Cube is staying home for the next trip. But because of that, I'd like it if the On-leg CLITS works. I felt the 'stack' on the tripod was getting a bit high. Started looking like, and acting like, a center column.

One thing. I'm considering adding a 3rd Magnet to the Cheeseplate. Not totally comfortable with the 2 in the wind. Anyone else tried that ?

Photo's to follow at some point, but right now it looks pretty much like Kens.

Edit: Crappy iPhone Image:
IMG_0782.JPG

Cambo WRS-AE, IQ160, HR32 Lens, RRS 24-TVCL Tripod, KPS Head, assorted bits and of course, CLITS !

Regards

Mark.

(PS: Ken, I blame you for the $750 bucks for the KPS Head ! That damn blog post produced an instant order, and relegation of the much-loved Arca-Cube to the shelf. VERY impressed with the KPS so far, and thank you for having them have a model which takes an RRS head directly)

Last edited:

kdphotography

It looks like you found an alternative to the Giottos Mini Ball Head, but in doing so, it looks like your variation places the SP a bit further away from the tripod---which might be why you want a third magnet on the cheeseplate? Adding a third magnet, you might be able to pick up your entire rig by the Surface Pro and walk around with it :ROTFL:

Marlyn

The alternative is temporary. Just something that was in the lighting Draw on a full size Manfrotto Clamp.
It is heavier (although Solid), and yes, even folded back like it is, it pushes it back too far, and makes it more awkward to get to the camera.

Waiting to see what the verdict is on the BH25.

I was thinking of the extra magnet even when It was on the Gittos. But likely being over cautious !

Again, thanks to Ken and Don for all the hard work that has gone into refining this solution !.

Regards

Mark

Don Libby

I had thought I'd need 3-magnets to hold the weight of my SP3 in the UAG case but found 2 to be more than enough. Checking tracking I see that I should have the BH-25 late Tuesday afternoon.

Don

Don Libby

After a bad start of the week (studio took a hit and I am now rebuilding 2-computers) I have good news...

The RRS BH25 arrived a couple minutes ago. Based on observations it appears to be less than 1/2 inch taller and maybe out weights the other by ozs. Put everything together and I have success. The BH25 more than carries the weight and I can now move the SP3 up and down to fit my sight line something I couldn't do with the other.

Okay back to the computers. Once I'm back up and running I'll share some photos.

Don

btw this is on the pano rail not the leg....

kdphotography

That's great news! That means confirmation that the RRS BH-25PF mini ballhead is a direct replacement (upgrade) for the Giottos Pro Mini ballhead. I've included the link to the RRS BH-25PF on the shopping list on my blog. I'll upgrade my mini ballhead eventually. :)

Don Libby

The BH25PF works the way I had thought the Grottos Pro would. While it's slightly taller and weighs slightly more it's still a very small package. I inserted the adaptor (the same as with the Grottos) and then put on my QR plate; no problem using the cheese plate either as it's the same size stud as with the Grottos. The release lever on the 25 is very large which in my mind okay as it'll help with gloves. The draw back on the larger lever was I had to reposition my QR plate more to one side in order to fully use it which is still no problem.

I'm still working on the computers today but need to take a break and will post a couple photos soon.

Don

Don Libby

Currently running on battery power (yeah that's how my week has been going so far) I wanted to share the following photo comparing the 2-ball heads. The AAA battery on left and AA battery on right are for size comparison.

Don Libby

Just when you think that you're done, have you looked at the new BC-18? That looks like an even smaller compact head:

BC-18 Micro Ball

Damn that's small! But, will it carry the weight? The BH25 is larger but not too much larger and it feels like it could hold much more than the simple SP3. I'm also waiting for the release of SP4 to see if they offer a larger screen - if they do then I might be tempted to get it which in turn might require a larger head like the BH25. All this before my first cup of coffee....

kdphotography

I saw the RRS BC-18 micro ball head too. It would be a good option for those using the quick-release plate CLITS clamp option (no magnets) or if using a cheeseplate or similar small metal plate (holds the magnets) with compatible AS rail grooves machine along the side.

I've got too much money spent in buying bits and pieces to see what works---and a lot of stuff that didn't work. :(:loco: I think I'm finally satisfied with the CLITS Clamp version III, with magnetic release---and attached on the leg. It has the best combination of small size, lightweight, speed and ease of use---and relatively inexpensive.

Now maybe if we could get John Milich to engineer a smaller lighter cheeseplate that also has the AS quick release groove on the sides...then the clamping system would have more flexibility combinations. Think John can match the Amazon Prime price for the Smallrig cheeeseplate of $13.00? :ROTFL:

The RRS BH-25PF appears bigger (in Don Libby's photo above) than I thought it would be---but not so much to be a deal-killer. I think the more robust capacity of the RRS BH-25PF is a worthwhile investment and better choice over the Giottos mini ballhead, though I like the smaller compact size of the Giottos option.

ken