The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

kdphotography

This is my favorite thread. A veritable GAS convocation.
C'mon now, Steve.

This is Dante's Forum. It's not "GAS." Everyone knows that we "invest" in our gear selectively, because it's a quality of life issue.

:ROTFL:

ken

(so how's that IQ360 upgrade going for you? Have you tried tethering with the Surface Pro?:ROTFL:)

Paul2660

I saw the RRS BC-18 micro ball head too. It would be a good option for those using the quick-release plate CLITS clamp option (no magnets) or if using a cheeseplate or similar small metal plate (holds the magnets) with compatible AS rail grooves machine along the side.

I've got too much money spent in buying bits and pieces to see what works---and a lot of stuff that didn't work. :(:loco: I think I'm finally satisfied with the CLITS Clamp version III, with magnetic release---and attached on the leg. It has the best combination of small size, lightweight, speed and ease of use---and relatively inexpensive.

Now maybe if we could get John Milich to engineer a smaller lighter cheeseplate that also has the AS quick release groove on the sides...then the clamping system would have more flexibility combinations. Think John can match the Amazon Prime price for the Smallrig cheeeseplate of $13.00? :ROTFL:

The RRS BH-25PF appears bigger (in Don Libby's photo above) than I thought it would be---but not so much to be a deal-killer. I think the more robust capacity of the RRS BH-25PF is a worthwhile investment and better choice over the Giottos mini ballhead, though I like the smaller compact size of the Giottos option.

ken
It's huge!! :bugeyes:

Just kidding. I should get mine today.

The BC-18 is a good solution, but like Ken said about the current cheeseplates, not being Arca style, that makes a deal breaker. Now could I get my cheeseplate machined??? Again just kidding.

Actually the entire magnetic solution is so simplistic I can't state enough how much I like it. The fact I can move the entire S2 or 3 down to a let out of the way (with the 2nd cheesplate) is priceless for me. With the Arca viewfinder you have to get in pretty close to the rm3di to get any type of view and being able to just take the entire PC off one mount and set it safely out of the way is great and really at not much additional weight. I also realized yesterday that the ball head (either one) gives you a lot more versatility up top also.

Now if only the weather would get below a heat index of 105 around here!

Paul

Don Libby

The BH-25 is larger than the Giottos Pro Mini however not bymuch more than ½ inch at the most. Itdoes weigh more however not by much. Itis beefier and will accommodate more weight.
The photo which not the best shows the rear of the SP3.
I was very reluctant on trying the magnetics however afterusing them several times I find they are the best solution.

Don Libby

Just weighed the BH-20 with the cheese plate, 2- magnets, and QR plate. 10.1 oz

Also measured and weighed just the ball heads...

The BH-25 measures 2.5 inches from the bottom to the base and weighs 5.2 oz which includes the reducer sleeve.

The Giottos Mini measures 2 inches and weighs 2.5 oz with the reducer sleeve.

1/2 inch taller, 1.7 oz more and more than capable of holding the SP3.

Anything else?

BTW I happen to have an extra cheese plate but check on Amazon first as they seem to be in stock...

Don

Last edited:

cs750

Thanks to Ken, Don, Paul and all who have contributed to this tethering thread, BUT the thread has for me become just too difficult to follow. Someone has introduced the "KPS head" into this discussion and there is even a photo which apparently shows one attached to a tripod leg. I have spent more than 30 minutes trying to find out about the KPS head and cannot find it in any of these posts (or by searching online for those terms); can someone please link to "the KPS head" and any discussions of it for those of us who cannot seem to keep up with these discussions:facesmack:. I would be very greatful...and thank you. cs750

Thanks for the Replies !.

I use a (different) surface pro 3 as full time work computer, so I have plenty of pens around. ( An SP-3 + OneNote pretty much runs my life in meetings. )

I have a tiny Pen tethered to the WRS to use on the IQ touch screen when wearing gloves, so I think I might modify that to include a tethered Surface pen + IQ tip somehow. I have to have it on a leash or it goes missing in a second.

Will play around with C1-pro some more, frankly I never use it so not that familiar. All my work, other than LCC's, has been done in Lightroom to-date. Guess I should learn.

I agree on Keyboard, and with the UrbanArmour holder it can stay on. I'll either let it flop, or it can go back in the F-stop.

Don: Right now I'm running with the on-leg variant, but I also have the Sunway clamp for the -on-clamp variant. Will see which one wins out in the end, but right now I'm leaning to On-leg.

I recently took out the RRS Leveling plate on my RRS 24-tvcl and have attached the KPS head directly to the tripod, with a RRS-Pano plate on top of it. Seems to work well, and right now the Arca-Cube is staying home for the next trip. But because of that, I'd like it if the On-leg CLITS works. I felt the 'stack' on the tripod was getting a bit high. Started looking like, and acting like, a center column.

One thing. I'm considering adding a 3rd Magnet to the Cheeseplate. Not totally comfortable with the 2 in the wind. Anyone else tried that ?

Photo's to follow at some point, but right now it looks pretty much like Kens.

Edit: Crappy iPhone Image:
View attachment 93428

Cambo WRS-AE, IQ160, HR32 Lens, RRS 24-TVCL Tripod, KPS Head, assorted bits and of course, CLITS !

Regards

Mark.

(PS: Ken, I blame you for the $750 bucks for the KPS Head ! That damn blog post produced an instant order, and relegation of the much-loved Arca-Cube to the shelf. VERY impressed with the KPS so far, and thank you for having them have a model which takes an RRS head directly)

kdphotography

Ok, here's your quick summary guide to get you up to speed--- Take a look at the following links:

1. https://kendoophotography.wordpress...s-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/ This is the first blog post detailing the use of the Surface Pro with the IQ series/Credo USB3 enabled MFDBs. You'll find the first generation clamp here---the Arkon. As you've noted, the evolution of clamping options and SP upgrades has followed quickly.

2. https://kendoophotography.wordpress...-with-the-surface-pro-evolving-clamp-choices/ This is the most recent (follow-up) blog post which details the latest clamping options for tethering with the Surface Pro on location. The best so far is the Capture Location Integrated Tethering System Clamp, which actually has three versions to suit most tastes. All the bits and pieces are listed in "shopping list" fashion with links at the end of this blog article. As noted above, it seems that version 3 of the CLITS magnetic clamp is most popular, and for good reason. The most recent discussion simply swaps out the Giottos Pro Mini Ballhead for the RRS BH-25PF ballhead. The RRS BH-25PF is also found on the blog shopping list at the bottom.

The threads here at GetDPI offer a host of great tips from users and enablers alike:grin:---such as being able to choose where your IQ MFDB saves files even when tethered (with the latest firmware).

I hope that helps! You can also contact me if you have any questions.

ken

p.s. The KPS T5 geared ballhead was reviewed on my blog, see, https://kendoophotography.wordpress...lhead-in-search-of-the-elusive-white-unicorn/ and also published here at GetDPI. This is simply a great geared ballhead (similar to the AS Cube) but not related to tethering with the Surface Pro.

cs750

Ken & Graham,
Thanks for the assistance...I will pursue them. cs750

Ok, here's your quick summary guide to get you up to speed--- Take a look at the following links:

1. https://kendoophotography.wordpress...s-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/ This is the first blog post detailing the use of the Surface Pro with the IQ series/Credo USB3 enabled MFDBs. You'll find the first generation clamp here---the Arkon. As you've noted, the evolution of clamping options and SP upgrades has followed quickly.

2. https://kendoophotography.wordpress...-with-the-surface-pro-evolving-clamp-choices/ This is the most recent (follow-up) blog post which details the latest clamping options for tethering with the Surface Pro on location. The best so far is the Capture Location Integrated Tethering System Clamp, which actually has three versions to suit most tastes. All the bits and pieces are listed in "shopping list" fashion with links at the end of this blog article. As noted above, it seems that version 3 of the CLITS magnetic clamp is most popular, and for good reason. The most recent discussion simply swaps out the Giottos Pro Mini Ballhead for the RRS BH-25PF ballhead. The RRS BH-25PF is also found on the blog shopping list at the bottom.

The threads here at GetDPI offer a host of great tips from users and enablers alike:grin:---such as being able to choose where your IQ MFDB saves files even when tethered (with the latest firmware).

I hope that helps! You can also contact me if you have any questions.

ken

p.s. The KPS T5 geared ballhead was reviewed on my blog, see, https://kendoophotography.wordpress...lhead-in-search-of-the-elusive-white-unicorn/ and also published here at GetDPI. This is simply a great geared ballhead (similar to the AS Cube) but not related to tethering with the Surface Pro.

Don Libby

Speaking with Ken earlier this morning and since we’re intoour 7[SUP]th[/SUP] page and closing in on 13,000 views I thought it wouldn’t bea bad idea to post one more image of a tethering setup (mine) and explain theanatomy of it. I hope this clears upany confusion that’s occurred along the way as we attempt to find the perfectsolution to tethering a Surface Pro.

I understand a lot of people like the leg attachmentapproach; I tried it and didn’t. Thereason I choose to stick with the nodal rail is that by adding the panningclamp to the bottom I am now able to pan the entire system as a whole with theSP following the camera. This is usefulfor me if I want to reposition my camera without changing locations.

Don

I added North for Steve :grin:

jlm

Workshop Member
I count 14 maybe 15 knobs or levers below the cambo and maybe 14" between tripod head and lens ;)

Don Libby

I count 14 maybe 15 knobs or levers below the cambo
Not quite that many. The thing is, once I have it set up as shown the only knob below the Cambo that needs to be set is the one on the QR panning clamp. Additionally, the panning clamp is less that 1/2" tall. It might not look like it but it's very stable and works well for me. There's a grand total of 4 separate QR clamps and one knob holding the BH25 (I'm not counting the Cube).

:grin:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I believe that Don is really trying to compensate for his tripod not being nearly tall enough for him ... A 3ft tripod with that mini-Derrick of heads, clamps, rails and plates will extend fully up to 7ft :ROTFL:

Attachments

kdphotography

Don really doesn't need all that stuff. He does it purposely so I can't reach the camera and mess with his settings. :ROTFL:

I've gone the other way with the KISS approach, keeping it small and light, getting rid of the pano rail, FAS clamp, pano clamps, etc.

This is my preferred CLITS clamp, version III. This simplistic approach attaches onto a tripod leg.CLITS Clamp Ver III WEB.jpg

Don Libby

I tried Ken's leg attachment and it didn't work well for me for a couple reasons; one, I felt it was a tad too short for me as I like the SP3 t be more eye level (remember I wear tri-focals) and then there's the lack of movement in conjunction with the camera; okay if I want to carry a longer USB cable which I don't.

So folks, we have what seems to be the best for 2-different people (and Ken and I are very different from most sane people :grin: )

Paul2660

I use both, clamps, thus I can have the S2 up high (near to eye level), but when I need to move in to the camera, I move it to the tripod leg, with the same clamp Ken is using.
What's nice about having it up high, is with the clits setup on the top, I can now attach the keyboard which is still the easy way to navigate for me, especially with a S3.

I find I only tether for a setup anyway, so once I have it all figured out, I pull the cord, and go back to the card. But when tethered, I rarely can use the S2/S3 in the up high position due to glare during normal daylight shoots. So I will hold it out of the sun to review a series, then put it back on the leg.

The 2nd clamp has really no weight at all, and fits in shirt pocket.

Paul

kdphotography

I'm really really happy with the CLITS Clamp---and all the versions having the flexibility to meet most tethering approaches/needs, yet still be light, portable/packable, and not break the bank

I'd like to see Phase take the next step with a firmware update, allowing MFDB users the ability to choose how they save files when shooting tethered: to CF, to harddrive, or to both CF and harddrive. A few more seconds taken to save to both would be easier than pulling/reinserting the USB3 cable between setups.

How about a friendly email to Phase One campaign? :grin:

ken

Paul2660

I'm really really happy with the CLITS Clamp---and all the versions having the flexibility to meet most tethering approaches/needs, yet still be light, portable/packable, and not break the bank

I'd like to see Phase take the next step with a firmware update, allowing MFDB users the ability to choose how they save files when shooting tethered: to CF, to harddrive, or to both CF and harddrive. A few more seconds taken to save to both would be easier than pulling/reinserting the USB3 cable between setups.

How about a friendly email to Phase One campaign? :grin:

ken
If Phase would allow this, I would stay tethered more. :clap:

However I did finally realize in C1, you can change the order from name to "date", this allows images to stay in shot sequence going back and forth from tethered and non-tethered.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ditto - having the option to save images to both card and tethered would encourage me to use this more.

Another convenience would be to have the tethered files continue with the same naming convention/sequence as on the card so that I could just copy the captured files from both card and micro-USB to my main laptop. I can fix it using import with a custom filename but it's just a little easier to quickly see the sequence of files from two sources.

narikin

FYI all:

Microsoft are offering an upgrade path SP3 to SP4 but just till November 7th.

A good working SP3 i5/256gb/4Gb is worth about $500 credit towards an SP4 i5 (2 generations newer) 256gb 8gb. The swap will cost you about $800 + any accessories. I guess you get a fresh 1 year warranty on that though. It gets pricey if you up it to 500mb and i7 machine. Earlier versions, like SP2, can be traded in too, but for lower values of course.

Surface Trade-In ? Microsoft Store

Last edited: