The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS screw knob clamp on Cube?

I remember reading a thread from a while ago regarding this. I've had my cube for a while and it has the old style quick release. I had read that stories about this coming off. Now that I have changed my tripod, I would like to change this as well as it is always very scary when I have my Alpa looking down 90 degrees. I am always scared it will fall and hesitate to leave it on the tripod for even a second without my hands on it. So I would like to trade it out for an RRS screw knob clamp. Is this hard to switch out myself?

kdphotography

If you have the "older" (more desirable) Cube, then swapping out the head/clamp is easy. I alternate between the stock AS lever, to the RRS screw clamp, and now the RRS lever clamp. All are good, and it really is a matter of personal preference.

If you have a new Cube, you'll need to use a heat gun on the loctite....

How do I know?

Also my cube is starting to make some noises as I do shoot quite often "downward" so it starts making a squeaking sound when tightening the knob that locks down the downward swing of more than 30 degrees.

Is this normal? Do I need to be putting grease? Do I need to send it in every once and a while to get checked up on?

If you have the "older" (more desirable) Cube, then swapping out the head/clamp is easy. I alternate between the stock AS lever, to the RRS screw clamp, and now the RRS lever clamp. All are good, and it really is a matter of personal preference.

If you have a new Cube, you'll need to use a heat gun on the loctite....

kdphotography

It's only in the last couple of years that AS started using the more permanent Loctite on the clamp threads. Try using a small wrench to loosen the bolt---it should not be very difficult. If the bolt doesn't budge, then you have the newer Cube. Others here have experience using a heat gun and can give you advice on removal.

No idea on the squeaking sound....maybe need some paraffin to lube?

Ed Hurst

Once you know whether you have the newer or older Cube, let us know. There was a recent thread on this - and I recently went through the process with a new Cube - so can certainly advise if needed. Good luck!

Don Libby

I've had my Cube for many years and had no trouble taking the head off. My suggestion is to try it. If you don't have any problems then you have an older one. If on the other hand you feel like you're about to have a hernia then you have the newer one; which isn't a big deal.

Arca Swiss changed the type of locktight used a couple years ago and now you need to heat the head of the bolt with a heat gun to loosen it up. Takes less than a couple minutes of heating. Remove the bolt, replace the head with what ever type you want to use adding a small amount of locktight to make certain its in tight (RRS sells small tubes).

I had to do this with 2-D4s and the first time I thought I was going to burn the house down (okay a bit of a drama queen) the 2nd was stupid easy which is good because I did it.

Don

DMarc

In addition to the above discussion, could somebody please tell me what that red "stuff" inside the screw hole is? And then how to get rid of it ;-)

Thank you,

Marc

gazwas

If you've got red gunk in the top screw holding the clamp down then you have the newer locktite fastened Cube.

What quickset do you have, classic or fliplock?

gazwas

If it's the fliplock that you don't like I'd make enquiries about sending it back to your dealer/Arca to have the quickset replaced for the classic version. I have the classic on my Cube and couldn't be happier. Not regretted going classic quickset and never felt the need to swap it for an alternative.

DMarc

Thank you for the advice.
The issue is that I have several RRS plates specific to various cameras and I like them better than the Arca universal plate. I also have a nodal slide for panoramas and when fitted to the Arca clamp, I can hardly close the clamp to the midway position. It works, but not ideal...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Mixed QR-plates (brands) always cause trouble with mixed QR Clamps .
The easiest way is Not to use an ARCA or RRS Clamp but a conventional QR-mount , as gazwas suggests .
If you want to use an RRS clamp with ARCA +compatible QR-plates you must
rework the RRS clamp . If you want to use an RRS QR-plate with an ARCA clamp you must rework the RRS plate , because you can't really close the clamp properly .
Sounds complicated but is not .
I have done that and can now use RRS and ARCA Clamps with RRS and ARCA plates . Works great .

jagsiva

I had the flip lock and replaced with the RRS screw clamp, took just a few minutes, and much simpler and more idiot proof in use, especially with gloves.

I give most Arca gear a 10/10, but the flip lock clap fails on several fronts. The only product I hate more is the new "mini" clamp system called the monoballfix, that I was forced into with the Factum :(

With the screw clamp, you can take the guess work out of plate compatibility as you will have to screw everything down tight.

While we have reservations about the site below, there are some good instructions and parts list from RRS for this mod:

diglloyd blog - Recommended tripod head ? Arca Swiss Cube geared head