The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Cambo RS600 Technical Camera

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Here is some information on the recently released Cambo RS600 technical camera.

The Cambo RS600 is made for architectural and landscape photographers that want to use a digital back with a ground glass. The RS600 enables the photographer to compose, focus and then slide the digital back in place to start shooting immediately.
Some additional specs:

· The lens stays in place, all movements on the rear side
· There is a weight compensation for the vertical moving part
· WRS/WTS/WDS lens panels are compatible (except the short barrel versions)
· Horizontal shift 50mm as 25L/25R
· Vertical shift 60mm as 40 lens up/20 lens down
· Geared movements for H and V shift
· Knobs and scales accessible and visible from behind the camera
· Accepts same SLW-adapters
· Accepts same WRS accessories as WRS-1060, 1075, 1080, 1090 etc.
· Digital back closed off in ground glass focussing position
· Horizontal shifted ground glass position transferable to capture position
· Stitching possibilities
· Ground glass includes Fresnel lens
· 3/8” tripod connection (not suitable for handheld use….)
· Total weight 1950 grams excl. lens, excl. SLW-adapter

$7,499

For additional information please see our Tech Camera Resource Area on our website.

Lance

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Very interesting. It looks very similar to the Sinar in many ways even to the point where the knobs look almost the same.

EH21

Yes, when I saw this I thought of the arTec as well.

Lance, tilt is on the lens mount yes?

dchew

I don't see the horizontal shift scale. Is it on top or just not visible in this shot of the back side? I am actually testing an Artec right now. This looks interesting.

Dave

Paul2660

On the picture the lens has the Cambo tilt an swing mount. Looks like this mount handles tilt and swing the same as all Cambo cameras. I agree it looks slot like the Sinar. Especially the ground glass. I had considered the Sinar back in 2011 but could not find any dealers with any knowledge in the US.

I was wondering how it handled horizontal shift also.

Paul

Steve Hendrix

I don't see the horizontal shift scale. Is it on top or just not visible in this shot of the back side? I am actually testing an Artec right now. This looks interesting.

Dave

The horizontal scale is behind the camera on the ledge under the sliding apparatus (not really visible in the stock product photo).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

dchew

The horizontal scale is behind the camera on the ledge under the sliding apparatus (not really visible in the stock product photo).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Thanks Steve,
I like that better since I often set up the camera fairly high and might not be able to see it on top. Although it's not a big deal because with 25mm each way, stitching would generally be from right stop to left stop. Not much sense in doing less.

Dave.

alajuela

Yes I noticed that too, wonder why, I don't see anything against it.

Peter
I would assume - you can use short barrel lens with the extension on the back - but you would not be able to your the GG / sliding back. I think it would function like any tech w/o sliding back.

Maybe one of the experts will shed some light.

One thing that I know I would probably break somehow is the little scale maker on the top that is like an antenna.

Phil

Pemihan

You would slide the whole panel with both GG and DB so I don't see why you can't use SB lenses.
Oh well, there's probably a good explanation..

Peter

I would assume - you can use short barrel lens with the extension on the back - but you would not be able to your the GG / sliding back. I think it would function like any tech w/o sliding back.

Maybe one of the experts will shed some light.

One thing that I know I would probably break somehow is the little scale maker on the top that is like an antenna.

Phil

alajuela

You would slide the whole panel with both GG and DB so I don't see why you can't use SB lenses.

Peter
I would think because the ground glass focus plane is the same as the sensor plane when using lenses 70mm and below which do not have the spacer
When you use the short barrel of lenses 90mm and above and have the spacer on the back (to have the correct distance due to the longer lenses) the sensor is set back from the focus plane of the GG. hence the focus on the ground glass is not the same as the capture.

The use of short barrel lenses is allow the T/S movements and also avoid vignetting on rise / shift So you move the capture plane further away from the exit pupil, so more less you are not shooting down a tube. If no movements then a long barrel would be fine, and the focus plane and capture plane are identical

So you are correct - you can use short barrel lenses, but it would be like there was no GG option.

lets see if and tech guys confirm this :chug:

Phil

torger

I wonder what the quality of the ground glass is. I hope it's as good as Linhof's bright ground glass. That it has built-in fresnel is a good sign.

Viewing aids is also important for the best ground glass experience, and it's important it's as good as it can be, as this is obviously intended for wide angle photography. A good shade and an excellent high magnification loupe would be nice.

Done right ground glass focusing is still very usable, but few do it right :-\

prakash

Peter
You are right.....short barrel lenses can be used in the same manner as you would on a RS body. In fact all the functionality that is part of the RS body system works on this camera body. You simply have the advantage of composing on a ground glass and have a bit more movements.

You could shoot wild and then fine tune your composition on the LCD/tether or
use another ground glass for composing and then switching to the digital back......as you would currently on an RS body.

Using the slider for composition is fast and efficient and if you have a rotating
sensor, the digital back just becomes part of the camera body that is rarely removed.

prakash