The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ 160 Vs Aptus II 10

young'ee

You are running at the slower FW400 speed.
Paul
So the only caveat to do this (if it does indeed work) is slower transfer speeds? Slower overall response time from the back?

I am really trying to hang onto the Aptus II 10 here - i like the sensor size very much and the NEW price to clear the last of them out does not hurt either.

If not, then its a jump up to IQ`160 - no idea what they cost used. I am guessing high teens?

shlomi

So the only caveat to do this (if it does indeed work) is slower transfer speeds? Slower overall response time from the back?

I am really trying to hang onto the Aptus II 10 here - i like the sensor size very much and the NEW price to clear the last of them out does not hurt either.

If not, then its a jump up to IQ`160 - no idea what they cost used. I am guessing high teens?

When I used the II 10, I preferred to connect to laptop via 6 pin because the connector is much more stable than the 9 pin. I didn't feel any change in speed. Of course the poster is correct and the speed is 400 - I am saying to me it was not noticeable.

I saw IQ180 going for $22000, so I believe you could find IQ160 for $16000.
Still buying new is nice and if it comes with 3 years warranty it's worth about $1000 per year.

young'ee

Apart from MACBOOK which i am trying to avoid, which laptop has 6 pin FW port?

The tablet i posted seems to be the ticket

shlomi

The tablet i posted seems to be the ticket
Last time I looked was about 6 years ago and all the Windows laptops had 4 pin firewire or none. There were some 6 pin models 10-12 years ago. What is the problem with a Macbook running Windows? You can tape over the logo if it pisses you off that much. You can find very cheap used macbooks with both 6 and 9 pin connectors which is very useful to the Aptus. Their screen are very good too.

young'ee

If you work professionally I'd recommend to go for the latest and have a budget that fits keeping with the latest. It does seem that to get the best support you need to have the latest gear. If you use a bit older gear you have to be prepared to do workarounds at times, but forums like this is very good for finding information for that. I'm an amateur on a budget myself and using old gear and "being on my own" I see as a part of the deal.
No its not for professional work - i am in the same boat as you - this is strictly for kicks (fun)

But i agree - this is my main concern - as thigns move forward over the next few years a back built on FW800 interface could well get left behind.

Note to Leaf - this is old tech now - drop the price some more :p

young'ee

What is the problem with a Macbook running Windows? You can tape over the logo if it pisses you off that much. You can find very cheap used macbooks with both 6 and 9 pin connectors which is very useful to the Aptus. Their screen are very good too.

No its not about being pissed off with Apple (whole other discussion i guess - Apple HAS abandoned its creatives it seems - some very unhappy campers out there who use APPLE)

Its that the OS is confusing - its a difficult confusing interface - its very weird compared to Windows OS interface.

In my day job i am suffering from "dash board" over load - so many interfaces to remember on so much equipment - wojuld prefer to avoid learning another OS if i can - its not a big issue but prefer to avoid it if i can - part of what makes the SP2 so attractive - its windows OS.

shlomi

But I told you a few times Macbook running Windows!?
You can install Windows on any Macbook.

You seem to misunderstand - running Windows means there is no Mac OS that you see at all, only Windows.

shlomi

The American users here are thinking right now we're out of our minds - they love that Mac OS.
But I agree with you - my brain real estate is very crowded. I've tried to work with Mac OS for a few years only on the camera laptop - while it was possible it was certainly not pleasurable. Once I've installed Windows, it was like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

young'ee

The American users here are thinking right now we're out of our minds - they love that Mac OS.
But I agree with you - my brain real estate is very crowded. I've tried to work with Mac OS for a few years only on the camera laptop - while it was possible it was certainly not pleasurable. Once I've installed Windows it was like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
That's it ! I've never liked the MAC OS interface - just does not "Click" with me.

young'ee

shlomi

I would also consider software support. I'm not that impressed by the committment of Phase One to support older backs. They do keep format support in newer versions of Capture One, but when I've heard about software bugs the answer has been that they don't put man hours into discontinued products, and you then you can only hope that the bug also affects other formats they care more about.

Worringly often I hear Phase One officials refer to the discontinued "Leaf Capture" software to work around problems.

I only mention this as a risk to be aware of, I don't consider it as a show stopper. I do myself not use C1 very much but other alternatives and the .mos format has good support in alternatives, and you can make DNG files of them of course. Tethering however I guess is limited to very few programs. If I would be dependent on tethering in Capture One and have that as only alternative, I'd be a little bit worried. Directions in software products can change fast. Being dependent on some odd hardware adapter or laptop product for FW could be an issue too. The back could work for 10 years without problems, but in 10 years much can happen with firewire and various software programs.

If you work professionally I'd recommend to go for the latest and have a budget that fits keeping with the latest. It does seem that to get the best support you need to have the latest gear. If you use a bit older gear you have to be prepared to do workarounds at times, but forums like this is very good for finding information for that. I'm an amateur on a budget myself and using old gear and "being on my own" I see as a part of the deal.
Phase as a company does what it feels like and gives no excuses - you don't have to convince me.
However, IMO there is very low probability of dropping support for Aptus II in C1 in the foreseeable future.
Aptus II are still being sold right now.
The legacy backs - Valeo and earlier - that were dropped from support, were from the very early stages of that industry, but the Aptus II are already mature products in wide use. So far even Aptus I is still supported and I think it has safely 5 years and probably more.

What is more worth worrying over are the spare parts, which could become hard for the company to find. They keep stocks of the old parts and circuits, but those run out eventually and then they will either become very expensive or not available at all. That depends largely on demand. I think in five years Aptus I will not very widely used anymore and consequently hardware support may be dropped. For Aptus II I see more time.

shlomi

jerome_m

You could use a pc card to firewire adapter. These have 6 or 9 pins FW ports. I include a picture below.

As you have read, you'll find cables (and adapters) from 6 pins to 9 pins. But the connection will still run at 400 mbps, half the max speed. And it will require that the back is compatible with the slower speed (which I suppose it is, but not all devices are and the connectors are slightly different).

As to power, you could use a powered hub and an external battery. Or even hack a cable to connect an external battery.

Generic firewire cables are usually pretty cheap and still reliable.