The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ 160 Vs Aptus II 10

jerome_m

Generic cables won't ft it into the Aptus connector.
The Aptus does not use a standard connection? I did not know that. Still, I suppose that the back is delivered with a FW800 to FW800 cable and, instead of buying a FW400 to FW800 cable with the Aptus connector, one could get an adapter from FW800 to FW400 and use the Aptus cable...

shlomi

Aptus works only with original Aptus cables, or other cables that were modified for it.
The provided cables are 400-400, 400-800, 800-400 and 800-800, suitable for Atpus I (400) and II (800), and both types of computer connectors. There are four types of cables.

Steve Hendrix

The Aptus does not use a standard connection? I did not know that. Still, I suppose that the back is delivered with a FW800 to FW800 cable and, instead of buying a FW400 to FW800 cable with the Aptus connector, one could get an adapter from FW800 to FW400 and use the Aptus cable...

The firewire interface port for the Aptus/Aptus-II is slightly slimmer than ports from say, a Phase One P+ digital back (and deeper).

Instead of an adapter, you could swap out the 800 to 800 cable with an 800 to 400 from a friendly dealer. If someone is buying an Aptus/Aptus-II from Capture Integration, I have no problem swapping out the 800-800 for a (Leaf) 800-400. We stock them.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

torger

I don't mean dropping support dead, but more fine functionality like all tethering details or swiftly taking care of more or less severe rendering bugs that may appear. I would not expect to receive same support as for the most recent system. In terms of format support perpetual high quality support is the only acceptable, and/or release format spec public. Photographers have files in their archives. I'm actually going to ask if I can get the spec now when the mos format is no longer used in current products. I've reverse engineered dead Kodak formats and would like to have an easier job with mos.

Phase as a company does what it feels like and gives no excuses - you don't have to convince me.
However, IMO there is very low probability of dropping support for Aptus II in C1 in the foreseeable future.
Aptus II are still being sold right now.
The legacy backs - Valeo and earlier - that were dropped from support, were from the very early stages of that industry, but the Aptus II are already mature products in wide use. So far even Aptus I is still supported and I think it has safely 5 years and probably more.

What is more worth worrying over are the spare parts, which could become hard for the company to find. They keep stocks of the old parts and circuits, but those run out eventually and then they will either become very expensive or not available at all. That depends largely on demand. I think in five years Aptus I will not very widely used anymore and consequently hardware support may be dropped. For Aptus II I see more time.