The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stitching with TOYO 45G + Nikkor 90 SW f8 and P25+

itsskin

Hi guys!
I need your help, as I'm not very familiar with some aspects I encountered recently.

I'm big fan of large format look. So I started to to some stitching with Toyo 45G. Great thing about this camera is that rear part of camera can be moved around and combined with adapter horizontal movement it's possible to get 166mm x 166mm coverage (235 image circle of 90sw f8). I don't need to tell you that moving rear part of view camera is different from 35mm panorama with PTGui :) It's basically a dream came true of huge 166x166 digital sensor.

The biggest problem was internal shading I experienced with out of box chinese adapter. Still, considering incredible movements and very close lens to sensor position results were usable and had unique look. Please check first picture and heavy purple fringe on the right side.

I modified chinese adapter and now nothing is blocking light from the lens. Vignette is reduced, but still present (lens property @f11?). What bothers me is still present color cast. Please check 3nd picture. This makes me thinking me that it can be the problem with light hitting the sensor at extreme angle. There is no light leak. Tested with camera totally covered. Turned lens 90 degrees, same color cast.

To give you idea about the angle there is 4rd pic.

What do you think? Normal behavior? Or something is wrong?

Last edited:

itsskin

No. These are directly stitched 40 images. LCC is doable but troublesome. And should P25+ need LLC?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
What I can recommend is , that you take and LCC shot for each single image , do the LCC correction in C1 and then merge the images .
I experienced the same issue and after doing the LCC correction as mentioned before , everything was fine .

neil

One other point worth checking is how are you triggering the digital back.

Eg send wake up signal, send start trigger, release shutter, send end trigger.

You have to have the correct sequence. If you don't you can have strange problems which add a pink cast.

The NIKKOR 90 f8 is a very good lens. I also use it with a phase back.

Kindest regards

Neil

itsskin

Thank you.

Considering back triggering - if it was the case weird colors should appear randomly around the picture.

So LLC time I guess :D

neil

Can you confirm what cable your using between lens and digital back ? And how your sending the wake up signal ? I have seen a color cast in images when I forget to send the wake up signal and just fire the shutter release.

If I can find time next week will try the NIKKOR 90 f8 shifted to edge of its image circle and look to see if I get color cast.

Kindest regards

Neil

itsskin

Using wake up cable with button. First pressing it, back wakes up, and after I trigger the shutter.

neil

I tried the NIKKOR 90mm but I could only get a 5 cm shift on the camera I was using. No where near your large shifts.

For a 5 cm shift the image is good. But I can see the color cast is just starting at the edge of the picture. I think if I was able to shift further there would be a color cast in the next few cm of shift.

I am very interested in this way of shifting over the full 5x4 inch frame. I am going to try and get a better setup to do this.

neil

Which orientation do you use the digital back in ? Portrait or landscape orientation ? When your doing your stitching shots.

It's quite complex trying to work out which camera or digital sliding back to get and how the sensor will be moved over the area to get maximum coverage.