The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official MFD Owner - Hassy on the way!

Mario

Pretty excited. I've been toying with the idea of MFD for a few years now, but could never quite bring myself to make the purchase. I was close to purchasing a Leaf Credo 40 at WPPI (and HUGE thanks to the guys at CI for chatting with me and walking me through the system) but couldn't quite swing the full purchase price and didn't like the idea of financing.

Always keeping an eye on the Phase One/Mamiya combos but they all seemed to run at least $8-9k for a somewhat passable setup.

Got a fantastic deal on a Hasselblad H3dII-31 + 80HC kit and it's on it's way here. Looking forward to a season of portraits with it and seeing what I can do.

Sure I will have a few questions here and there, but just wanted to say thanks to the group for all the info I've read. :chug:

5D-III, 35L, f/6.3, ISO200, 1/400s.

fotografz

Congratulations Mario!

Not long ago, I exited the Hasselblad H system because I'm easing into retirement and no longer do the commercial work I once did.

However, I can say, despite all the advancements in H4Ds and H5Ds … one of my favorite H cameras was the H3D-II/31. I think you will LOVE it.

Give yourself some time to get the controls down pat and that camera will reward you many times over.

If you need any assistance feel free to PM me and if I can help, I will.

Best of luck!

- Marc

(P.S., as soon as you can see fit, secure a HC100/2.2 lens … it is the "people shooters" star lens in the whole H system).

Mario

Congratulations Mario!

Not long ago, I exited the Hasselblad H system because I'm easing into retirement and no longer do the commercial work I once did.

However, I can say, despite all the advancements in H4Ds and H5Ds … one of my favorite H cameras was the H3D-II/31. I think you will LOVE it.

Give yourself some time to get the controls down pat and that camera will reward you many times over.

If you need any assistance feel free to PM me and if I can help, I will.

Best of luck!

- Marc

(P.S., as soon as you can see fit, secure a HC100/2.2 lens … it is the "people shooters" star lens in the whole H system).
Marc,

Thanks so much for the help! The seller says it has a rechargable CR2 battery cartridge... is there any way I can get this system onto a Lithium-Ion like the H4d/H5d?

And yes on the HC100!! Looking to buy one in the next month or two so will be keeping an eye out. Cheers!

Congratulations! ....and welcome to the inferno, I mean, club!

:) ken
I feel like 2014 is going to be a money pit for gear. :clap:

jerome_m

Thanks so much for the help! The seller says it has a rechargable CR2 battery cartridge... is there any way I can get this system onto a Lithium-Ion like the H4d/H5d?
The seller is wrong. The H3DII comes with a Lithium-Ion rechargeable. You can get more batteries if you want, they are generally compatible across the Hasselblad cameras.

BTW: if your battery has a very short life, there is a way to reset them.

Steve Hendrix

The seller is wrong. The H3DII comes with a Lithium-Ion rechargeable. You can get more batteries if you want, they are generally compatible across the Hasselblad cameras.

Mario, by "seller" do you mean a dealer? End user? eBay seller?

When purchased new, HXD cameras come with a lithium rechargeable battery grip. If you are buying used, that is at the discretion of the seller, whoever that might be. They should be transparent, but whatever they include is their decision.

FYI - CI provides all new standard accessories with every digital back we sell, (which accessories will depend on whether you are upgrading, what you are upgrading from, etc). Can't speak for any other sellers.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Mario

Awesome! I was reading in the manual that it said to disconnect the back, push/hold a few buttons and that resets the memory on them.

Mario, by "seller" do you mean a dealer? End user? eBay seller?

When purchased new, HXD cameras come with a lithium rechargeable battery grip. If you are buying used, that is at the discretion of the seller, whoever that might be. They should be transparent, but whatever they include is their decision.

FYI - CI provides all new standard accessories with every digital back we sell, (which accessories will depend on whether you are upgrading, what you are upgrading from, etc). Can't speak for any other sellers.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Private purchase Steve. If for some reason it doesn't include the lithium battery grip, which purchase would be the correct one?

Steve Hendrix

Awesome! I was reading in the manual that it said to disconnect the back, push/hold a few buttons and that resets the memory on them.

Private purchase Steve. If for some reason it doesn't include the lithium battery grip, which purchase would be the correct one?

If you want a new in the box lithium battery grip, (which I would recommend) the current unit is 2900mAh and is $249. It would require the charger as well (if you don't have that), however less critical (IMO) that this be new. But a new charger is $186.

We have chargers in stock, can drop ship a grip.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Mario

If you want a new in the box lithium battery grip, (which I would recommend) the current unit is 2900mAh and is $249. It would require the charger as well (if you don't have that), however less critical (IMO) that this be new. But a new charger is $186.

We have chargers in stock, can drop ship a grip.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve,

Awesome. So the 2900mAh is what is advertised as the H5d/H4d battery but works on the H3dII correct. And then 1850 is what is advertised for the H1/H2, but also works on the H3dII?

As soon as I verify what's been included I may reach out for that purchase. Much appreciated!

-Mario

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

Awesome. So the 2900mAh is what is advertised as the H5d/H4d battery but works on the H3dII correct. And then 1850 is what is advertised for the H1/H2, but also works on the H3dII?

As soon as I verify what's been included I may reach out for that purchase. Much appreciated!

-Mario

Correct - 1850 will work on H3D/H4D (and H1/H2) fine. The 2900mAh will work fine on H3D-II 31, but will last considerably longer than the 1850mAh battery, especially if it is new.

Dustbak

... will last considerably longer than the 1850mAh battery, especially if it is new.
It will last considerably less longer for the first 10 charges or so than it should. After that it holds its charge very well and indeed lasts longer than the 1850mAh battery. Both types of batteries somehow seem to need some form of conditioning.

As most have already mentioned, make sure you get the rechargeable batteries.

Have fun with the 31, pretty sure you will enjoy it.

tcdeveau

Congrats! You will love it. You won't get as many shots per charge with the Hasselblad batteries compared to Nikon/Canon batteries so I would definitely plan on getting a couple. Get ready to increase your print budget too...ever since my switch I just want to make larger and larger prints.

Last edited:

bigfish007

The newer 2900 mAh battery probably won't work in your H3D31ll without a camera body firmware update. You have to check out the Hasselblad.com site for details. I had to up date my H4D40 firmware to accept the new batteries. The update also needs to be installed using Phocus software. It's also free on the Hasselblad website. Hope this helps!

BigFish007

med

I am about to make a similar leap to an H1 and a Leaf or Phase back. Is it worth it for me to purchase one or more rechargeable grips, or should I be fine with the CR123 holder? Do the rechargeables even work with the H1?

Mario

Got the camera! Came with the 1850mAh battery and charger. Going to try to reset it to see if it helps tomorrow.

The firmware is 2.3.1 and R259.

On a side note... this thing shoots amazing portraits at ISO1600 inside! :ROTFL:

Professional

Congratulations!

I still remember how i was very happy when i got H3DII-39 as my first ever digital medium format or say medium format at all, after this camera i bought film medium formats and later i traded in for H4D-60.

Enjoy it as long you can and let's see your works from it!