The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ250 Focus Mask

6x6

I know the IQ250 has good live view and it also has focus mask. However I wanted to know if you could operate live view and focus mask together. So have the green overlay appear and disappear as you moved in and out of focus whilst in live view.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

If so it would be a great feature of the back. If not, are there technical reasons as to why Phase have not implemented it?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
When I tried the IQ250 it worked the same manner as the other IQ backs in that after taking a shot it will spend a second or so processing before rendering the focus mask. Whilst live view was fast and fluid, I don't think that the back has the processing power to render a live focus mask at the same time, particularly given that it takes a little while even after a shot.

It would be pretty cool as a feature though.

gerald.d

I know the IQ250 has good live view and it also has focus mask. However I wanted to know if you could operate live view and focus mask together. So have the green overlay appear and disappear as you moved in and out of focus whilst in live view.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

If so it would be a great feature of the back. If not, are there technical reasons as to why Phase have not implemented it?
Not possible. As Graham says, I suspect it's due to the time it takes to render the focus mask.

6x6

Thank you both. I figured it would be something to do with the processing required to render the focus mask. Such a shame as it would be a killer feature of the back.

etrump

What may be possible is a graph showing the relative contrast in the scene. It would be valuable for scenes with full DOF.