The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good news for Pentax 645D owners

tsjanik

Does Pentax offers any Tilt Shift lens or Tilt Shift adapter which can be used on Pentax 645z?

I have seen one of the great pro landscape photographer to use one of the Pentax zoom lens with Tilt Shift adapter on Nikon D800e. He is very happy with the setup. He also owns IQ180 + DF, he is not into Technical Camera by choice.
Zoerk supplies a tilt shift adapter for the 645:

Zörk Pro Shift adapter

Which zoom? The 67 55-100 is excellent, but very heavy.

Paul2660

Zoerk supplies a tilt shift adapter for the 645:

Zörk Pro Shift adapter

Which zoom? The 67 55-100 is excellent, but very heavy.
I believe that Zork uses Pentax 67 lenses to adapt to a 645 camera. Problem is the 67 lenses IMO don't have the resolution to handle a lot of shift.

What would be great would be a Zork adapter allowing shift/tilt with Pentax FA or older MF lenses but you most likely would lose infinity focus.

Paul

tsjanik

I believe that Zork uses Pentax 67 lenses to adapt to a 645 camera. Problem is the 67 lenses IMO don't have the resolution to handle a lot of shift. ......

Paul
Paul:

You're correct about needing a 67 lens, but I disagree with your resolution comments. I have a number (20+) of 645 and 67 lenses. Among the lenses I've used, the 67 55-100mm, 55mm, 75mm AL and 300mm M*are exceptional and would be fine with shifting.

Tom

bensonga

Problem is the 67 lenses IMO don't have the resolution to handle a lot of shift.
Paul
Hi Paul,

Why do you think this is so? I don't know anything about the special requirements for tilt-shift, but I've generally been impressed with the quality of many Pentax 67 lenses and I don't think Pentax 645 FA or A lenses are significantly better (if at all).

Gary

Paul2660

Hi Paul,

Why do you think this is so? I don't know anything about the special requirements for tilt-shift, but I've generally been impressed with the quality of many Pentax 67 lenses and I don't think Pentax 645 FA or A lenses are significantly better (if at all).

Gary
Hello Gray

Back in the days I carried the Zork TS for Pentax I tried both the 45mm and 75mm shift, both 67 lenses that you could mount on the Zork with the Pentax 67 to 645 adapter. I just was never impressed with either lens but loved the 35mm FA and 45 AF both 645 lenses. Had the 150mm also. This was on Canon. IdsMKII, MKIII, and 5DMKII.

The 645 lenses were excellent shifting lenses on the Zork and much lighter.

Still wish I had the 35mm FA

Paul

bensonga

Thanks for the info and explanation Paul. I didn't realize you were comparing the P67 lenses with the Zork TS adapter on a Pentax 645 to using the P645 lenses on 35mm Canon DSLRs. I think the original question from subrata1965 was re using tilt shift lenses or lenses with a TS adapter on a 645z. I wonder if there is a TS adapter for P645 lenses on a P645 camera?

Figured I might try one of the Zork P67 to P645 TS adapters myself until I saw the price...$2,199. On second thought...maybe not.

I agree that the Pentax 645 35mm lens is excellent, although I have the manual focus A version (here mounted on my 645NII), not the FA version.

Gary

Last edited:

Ken_R

Thanks for the info and explanation Paul. I didn't realize you were comparing the P67 lenses with the Zork TS adapter on a Pentax 645 to using the P645 lenses on 35mm Canon DSLRs. I think the original question from subrata1965 was re using tilt shift lenses or lenses with a TS adapter on a 645z. I wonder if there is a TS adapter for P645 lenses on a P645 camera?

Figured I might try one of the Zork P67 to P645 TS adapters myself until I saw the price...$2,199. On second thought...maybe not.

I agree that the Pentax 645 35mm lens is excellent, although I have the manual focus A version (here mounted on my 645NII), not the FA version.

Gary

I still have that lens. When I got my 645D I purchased a 35A and a 35FA. Tested both and at landscape distances (∞) the 35A (MF) was much better. So I kept the 35A. Tried to sell it last year after I sold the 645D. No one bought it. I suspect it is going to be worth more now that the 645Z is out. It is the best wide angle for landscapes on the Pentax since it is small, light, sharp and easy to filter (77mm) and less than $1000 used (for now). Other than the uber expensive 25mm (which is a PITA to filter) the 35mmA is basically the only wide angle choice for landscapes.

D&A

There has been considerable discussion regarding the performance of the autofocus FA 35mm 645 lens vs. it's manual focus counterpart, the A35mm 645. After testing additional samples of each (since my initial testing of these lenses), I've observed a number of basic things.

There is more sample to sample variation in performance with the FA version than the A version. Since the FA version exhibits fairly extensive field curvature (especially at longer subject distances), it's critical to AF fine tune each individual FA version on the 645D to achieve the best compromise between center and side resolution. Setting in a bit of back focus in the FA version thru AF fine tuning, does help the FA lens achieve better edge to edge sharpness at infinity as does shooting distance landscapes well stopped down. At closer range the FA is extremely sharp even at f4.5-5.6

Just a observation when testing out a number of samples of both the newer D FA 25mm 645 lens and the DA 25mm 645 lens. They both too exhibit field curvature and therefore shooting distance landscapes requires the lens to be well stopped down to overcome this by increasing the depth of field.

Therefore if one is shooting general flat field subjects, the 35mm A version will achieve better edge to edge performance by virtue of sharper sides and corners when shooting long distance relatively flat field subjects.

If the subject being shots contains elements of both near, far and midrange, the 35mm FA version then actually outresolves the A version. It's a tradeoff. At closer subject distances, I have found the edge goes to the FA. If one is shooting a lot of distant landscapes that contain considerable detail at the sides and edges in the general smaple plane of focus, I would opt for the A version. Alternately if one was shooting a wide variety of subjects at various distances with elements not in the same plane of focus, especially if side elements were at closer range, the FA lens would be my lens of choice. It also exhibits a somewhat less CA in bright sunlight.

I've often wondered if the curvature of the front element used on the FA was responsible for the field curvature it exhibits, especially at longer distances. The A 35mm lens has a considerably flatter front glass.

Dave (D&A)

Ken_R

Also, used prices on Pentax 645 A and FA lenses were and still are low but they are rising quickly and will see a large increase very very soon (in a few days to a week). Now is the time to get them. Mainly due to this: