The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645Z - oh boy!

jon11

For my workflow being doing lots of product shots of macro subjects (jewelry), I need to do lots of stack focusing. Capture One allows me quick batch exporting on the fly with the product's SKU number alongside the incrementing number. LR or anything else isn't a breeze with this regard.

We use C1 with our IQ160 and 5D Mark III stations - it works great, rarely has a bug and is a workhorse churning out great images.

I would assume C1 wouldn't work with the files from a Pentax 645Z, though the native file type is DNG… but they might filter out this camera as to reduce competition… hence just handicapping? That's one way to perhaps stop a possible "bleeding" should there be one caused by this.

I have no regrets with the investment with the Phase One system in hindsight. Although, seeing a competitor on the horizon with not just a slightly better price, but an AMAZINGLY better price and a very similar if not the same sensor, plus a much more performant body…. makes me think twice about WHICH system to invest in should I replace my Canon one.

Time will tell.

Vadim

for your needs better phase one..also you can use studio camera.
anyway i think if you program lightroom can be flexible with auto import, also you can use auto exporting in photoshop for stacked images. but maybe you use other software to stack.

jon11

For my workflow being doing lots of product shots of macro subjects (jewelry), I need to do lots of stack focusing. Capture One allows me quick batch exporting on the fly with the product's SKU number alongside the incrementing number. LR or anything else isn't a breeze with this regard.

We use C1 with our IQ160 and 5D Mark III stations - it works great, rarely has a bug and is a workhorse churning out great images.

I would assume C1 wouldn't work with the files from a Pentax 645Z, though the native file type is DNG… but they might filter out this camera as to reduce competition… hence just handicapping? That's one way to perhaps stop a possible "bleeding" should there be one caused by this.

I have no regrets with the investment with the Phase One system in hindsight. Although, seeing a competitor on the horizon with not just a slightly better price, but an AMAZINGLY better price and a very similar if not the same sensor, plus a much more performant body…. makes me think twice about WHICH system to invest in should I replace my Canon one.

Time will tell.

Vadim
FUD. Pure and simple. With no evidence whatsoever you are trying to build a case for "Team Phase One" over "Team Ricoh" based on where you perceive the water coolers to be installed and who drinks from them.

The IQ250 has its place. I have no concerns whatsoever about my rationale for convincing the guys who sign the cheques to buy one, because for my purposes, the Pentax can't deliver what I'm looking for. I shot 15,000 images with the IQ250 in just 36 hours this last week, and the Pentax couldn't have delivered one of them.

The IQ250 doesn't need this FUD. Since launch, it has (at retail list prices) delivered 8 figure US$ revenue to the channel.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't view the 250 as solving MF problems. It makes possible new MF opportunities. The same applies to the Z.

How about we all stop being negative in an attempt to protect our vested interest, and instead recognise and appreciate this camera for the game-changer that it is?

also is the classic situation where a brand think to be unbeatable and end up in bankrupt.
ricoh is a giant, has big money, and pentax is a photo brand who makes photo gear for professional in the 70 80 90. it had a period of shadow and now is recovering. the 645d or z is a three years project so far and he's getting better and better.
to produce LS lenses or a digital back for view camera is something they can do in a breeze if they want. but in my opinion their photo philosophy now is in creating an outdoor brand recognized for weather sealing ruggedness and great value. they do the same with their cropped camera.
personally considering that they produced great Ls manual lenses, i don't understand why they cannot do again now, but this is a thing that makes me crazy of pentax, always a step miss to make the perfect system. the same with cropped cameras.

jon11

I use Helicon Focus for focus stacking works really nice and its lightning fast
yes. but with lightroom you can easily export photos as advanced object in photoshop and with a click had images stacked. i don't know if the results can keep up with helicon results, never tried. but in my opioni lightroom is very flexible. personally i tried capture one and is probably the worst software i have ever tried. but maybe i never studied it deeply.

jon11

for me the biggest ? at the moment is if the cmos can deliver the same IQ, the same image "character" i want to call it, of the ccd of 645d. so far the samples i have seen even from phase one and gassy show that the cmos sony sensor deliver the same IQ of a nikon d800 with more resolution. i'm not saying is bad, just for me has not the clarity and wow factor i see from my 645d files.

vchiline

Guy, same here, I use Helicon Focus, it's really fast, rarely has issues. I tried Photoshop's version and it wasn't as good or flexible. It might have changed.

I guess as with everything, you have a workflow and spending time figuring out another one is a little annoying, especially if after you research, you find out your original one was best. Time is money, and in jewelry photography, we work with high volumes, so it needs to be rock solid - I've been using C1 for many years… could be just me though.

Everybody has a preferred software - Jon11 you say you hated C1, while many of us love it. Guess it depends on what we get used to and like. Some people love Nikon DSLRs, some love Canon…. to each his own I guess :)

For automation, I need to manually type in the product SKU for each series of stack shots, then batch export them by the name SKU_ABC-01, 02, 03…. then in Helicon, I stack them and save as SKU_ABC.

Anyways, can't wait to see and hear more about this camera.

torger

I know a bit or two about raw processing, as I develop software that does it. I would not say that C1 programmers have a great advantage by being friends with the IQ250 hardware designers. How CCD and CMOS sensors work is pretty generic.

That does not change the fact that C1 has very nice rendering, but they could do just as well with a different camera manufacturer, as long as they have a camera to play with and has the file format specification. Assuming the camera is good of course.

End result is still what matters, but if C1 has an edge over say Lightroom, it's because the programmers are great at raw processing and have focused their effort on their cameras, not that they have some special insight into the hardware.

It shall be interesting to see what processing options there will be for 645Z and what the results will be. I've played with the idea to make a converter that converts Hassy H50c and Pentax 645Z files into an IQ250 file, sensors are the same so it should work, then one could see how those files play out in C1. It would probably show once for all that those cameras are not really that different in terms of raw data they produce, at least for shorter shutter speeds.

erlingmm

Torger - I have started using C1 after using LR since the beginning. It certainly has more "bite" than LR, although I am sure LR results can be made almost similar, but the RAW converter seems better in C1.
Do they have a policy of not supporting PhaseOne competitors? They don't support Leica S, would love it if they did.
Implicitly (and the relevance for this thread), can they be expected to support the Pentax?

torger

I don't know what Phase One's policy is, but if I were them I would surely not support Hassy or Pentax or Leica MF cameras - C1 is too important in the process of getting customers to choose a Phase/Leaf back instead of other MF cameras.

torger

Another way to out it - by supporting consumer cameras they can get significant volume income, by supporting competitor mf cameras they can only lose camera sales, there would be no volume sales anyway.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looking forward to seeing this in person
Rick you hit the nail on the head with just 6 words and what I see more than anything recently in MF is the general theme of all of us. What's this thing got under the hood and many will be looking squarely at it. I think that's great too

Uaiomex

Exactly. That's how I feel. Pentax is only 3 LS af modern lenses away to corner the medium format market.
I was thinking last night that Sigma should get involved into the Z system ASAP.
Sigma, do you copy?
Eduardo

the best of pentax 645d i use is a camera that can be used in normal environment like a normal dlsr.
i used it in kiev revolution for example with -25 degree in december

JBPhotography by jonatha Borzicchi Home » JBPhotography by jonatha Borzicchi there are some samples of it.

in my opinion pentax can with just three leaf lenses and producing a back sold as is for other camera mount.

bensonga

I was thinking last night that Sigma should get involved into the Z system ASAP.
Sigma, do you copy?
Eduardo
I hadn't thought of that, but it would be a GREAT solution to the shortage of modern designed, more affordable AF lenses for the Pentax 645D system. Sigma is certainly making some outstanding lenses now. However, unless the volume of Pentax 645D/Z cameras sold really increases, I think this is unlikely.

This is a trivial matter, but I wish Pentax had kept the 645D designation and called this new camera the 645DII. :eek:

Gary

Last edited:

Uaiomex

Hahahaha! Same here. Everytime I see the Z, I think of Datsun, not Pentax.:facesmack:
That nifty car (240Z) is the greatest japanese product of all times.

Eduardo

This is a trivial matter, but I wish Pentax had kept the 645D designation and called this new camera the 645DII. :eek:

Gary

tsjanik

Hahahaha! Same here. Everytime I see the Z, I think of Datsun, not Pentax.:facesmack:

Eduardo
Maybe that's why they used a Z. Most able to afford the 645Z are old enough to remember the 240Z (weak cooling system however) :D

Sharokin

I can't wait to see upcoming comparisons between the Hassy, Phase, and Pentax. I have a feeling the Pentax with the older generation lenses will be competitive when shooting landscape but fall short for editorial, fashion, and portraits.
And no, I don't think C1 gives Phase an advantage. I get stunning quality using Aperture to process H4D-40 files.
I prefer my Canon files in Aperture over C1 too.

John Perkins

For a more valid comparison you'd want to wait until you can run raws through LR to compare. Only time will tell how much time Adobe spends on catering their processing to get the most out of those raw files.
I gave up Lightroom and switched to Capture One, true.

But I have processed the same file in Lightroom and Capture One as a comparison, and I can make the LR output almost identical to Capture One (with a lot of work, but some of which could be automated).

While I think Capture One is the better product, it is not something I would use as even a minor criteria point in picking a camera.

Jay Emm

...I was thinking last night that Sigma should get involved into the Z system ASAP. Sigma, do you copy? Eduardo
Good thought. I am hearing Sigma will be part of the new Leica mirrorless, an interesting time at Sigma right now...

bensonga

Eduardo
Maybe that's why they used a Z. Most able to afford the 645Z are old enough to remember the 240Z (weak cooling system however) :D
I thought I could resist the urge to upgrade my 645D to the 645Z, but now I'm not so sure. I never owned a 240Z, but I sure admired them....although I preferred the BMW 2002 tii.

All things considered, it does seem that Pentax is following the Datsun motto for the 240Z...."Dare to be Different". Thankfully however, the shutter on the 645Z is much quieter than this particular 240Z.

Dare to Be Different in a Datsun 240Z | Petrolicious

Gary