The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645Z - oh boy!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
She still has internet access and can login to check your credit card activity. I would use cash...
I did buy yet another bag. I think I have the whole think tank line now. Bought a Turnstyle 10 for walk around. Cool little bag I have a 20 also which is bigger. I do have a bag buying problem. But hey at least it's not a drinking, whoring around one , so I'm good. LOL

OT I did just play with the A6000 Sony and it's pretty dang nice indeed . AF on it was sweet. But it actually felt a little to small. They did have the new Fuji which looked nice but they would not put a battery in it as it's the only one they have.

Shashin

Smooth, Guy:

Wife: What is that?

Photographer: It is just a new bag.

Wife: No, I mean THAT!

Photographer: Oh, how did that camera get in there?

etrigan63

"What we have here gentlemen, is a spine boggling idea".:shocked:

- Marc
Since the spine controls muscle reflex actions, "spine boggling" could mean "not knowing how to react".

It is, however, hilarious.

"Is a bear Catholic?"

"Does the Pope s**t in the woods?"

Inquiring minds want to know!

Uaiomex

C'mon guys, let's all go back to topic. lol!
I need to formulate a question to seasoned DMFB users:
Do you think the 51 mp 44X33mm cmos sensor will yield sharper images than a 39 mp 48X36? I mean enlarge-ability.
The thing is: More pixels in a smaller sensor against less pixels in a bigger sensor.
Please comments
Eduardo

tsjanik

Do you think the 51 mp 44X33mm cmos sensor will yield sharper images than a 39 mp 48X36? I mean enlarge-ability.
The thing is: More pixels in a smaller sensor against less pixels in a bigger sensor.
Please comments
Eduardo
My guess it's close to a wash, all other things being the same; however, the ability to use high ISO will result in sharper pictures in many situations.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

It depends…

Doug Peterson has posted some impressing images and the IQ250 was great. Something several posters have noted was that the IQ250 produced much less colour demosaic artefacts than IQ 260 and the IQ 280.

A smaller sensor with a very good lens can produce a better image than a larger sensor with a less good lens. In this case the IQ-250 produced less artefacts, which is probably a good thing. It may mean that the image responds better to scaling up and may respond better to sharpening.

That test was made on a technical camera with very good lenses (I assume!). The results may impress less on a camera with a weaker lens.

On the other hand, cropping may also help in utilising the sweet spot of the lens! It is a complex issue.

Best regards
Erik

Please comments
Eduardo

hsteeves

so, next week-end I'm hoping to get to fondle a 645Z fully functional body. I missed it last week-end but I offered free lunch and a monkey if the Pentax people brought it to a camera shop trade show next week-end. I have a 645D and some lenses and plan on taking them with me. Anything anybody wants me to look at?

Ed Hurst

Hello there,

What a wonderful offer - very kind of you.

I have two things I would love you to check out if possible. One of them would be slightly time-consuming, so might be hard to do in the context you have available to you. But I'd be fascinated to know the results if at all possible!

1. Dark frame behaviour. The original 645D has a very annoying trait: although the custom functions suggest that you can tell it not to take a dark frame after long exposures, even if you turn it off, it still does this under some conditions (combinations of exposure length and temperature). If you have the opportunity to go into the menus and turn off 'long exposure noise reduction', then shoot a sequence of several consecutive long exposures (say 2 minutes each) with no delay in between - then note if the camera shoots a dark frame after any of the exposures - I would be eternally grateful. My hope is that it does not shoot any dark frames once you have turned that function off. Note that it may not do it after every frame, or even after the first one, but may start to do so sporadically after a few consecutive frames (when the sensor has started to warm up). If it behaves in the way I hope (turning off long exposure noise reduction totally stops the dark frames being shot), it becomes feasible to use the camera to shoot star trails by stacking exposures (currently impossible due to the sequence being interrupted at times by the dark frame being shot). This test will take a little time as you will need to shoot a few of these long exposures (with no delay in between them) and note whether a dark frame is being shot after any one of them.
2. Colour/tonal rendering, resolution and noise at ISOs 100 /200/400 compared to original 645D. Comparative RAW files shot on both cameras with otherwise identical conditions (including same lens) would be superb as a way to compare the two cameras in these vital areas.

I know that these two requests might be hard to do - but you did ask! :)

All the best,

Ed

the H4D-40 does not require a dark frame to be shot after long exposures and the 645d has the same sensor so surely they would be able to do it? you think with a cmos sensor it would be even easier.

tsjanik

Like Ed, I would like to compare RAW files taken with a D an Z. Lacking that, any impressions from a current 645D user would be interesting.

Tom

Ed Hurst

the H4D-40 does not require a dark frame to be shot after long exposures and the 645d has the same sensor so surely they would be able to do it? you think with a cmos sensor it would be even easier.
Hi Will,

I guess different manufacturers make all sorts of decisions about how varying functions and processing works best for them, even with the same sensor. I am quite certain, from extensive experience, that the 645D does behave in the way I describe and just as certain that it is extremely irritating for my purposes ;-). Totally get the value of dark frames, but would like to have the choice of turning it on and off - as the menus imply I should be able to.

As you say, with CMOS noise in general seems to be lower, so I am hopeful that the Z will allow dark frames to be turned off (and actually to BE turned off when they are).

Warmest regards,

Ed

nenes

- P1's color look when coupled with C1 / OK but could be better/prefer CANON

- an entire line of modern autofocus leaf shutter lenses/ the lenses are maybe modern, but the autofocus speed and accuracy mixed with the stone age camera body leave the lenses in that age

- sync speed of 1/1600th / with 2,3,5 ND filters all set to go

- availability of overnight loaner warranty / with a wether sealed body and lenses; as the pentax 645Z noooo need for such thing

- availability in rental / once a product works , the rental houses will have all you need from a support if it is competent

- knowledge of techs/assistants on a particular system / out of (phase one) (hasselblad) everything works just us it should be, and to learn a system is as fast as getting an IPAD

- buffer depth / THERE IS NOO BUFFER DEPTH WITH A VEEEEEEEERY SLOW SYSTEM AS PHASEONE CAMERA/BACK BODY

- tethering speed, stability, tethering features / stability???????? ..... that C1 is the most stable software for tethering shooting ,does not mean it is stable

- availability of vertical grip (very useful for catalog houses where often for hours each day you shoot nothing but verticals) / Really noo need for such a thing ....for the price of a phase one body, should be confortable , for any kind of work

- compatibility with tech cameras / TO EXPENSIVE for just that kind of work

- compatibility with view cameras /TO EXPENSIVE for just that kind of work

- on camera features like focus mask, customizable exposure warning, / None of those things are useful especially when they do not work in real world.Never cannot trust focus mask, and the pentax 645z does have customizable exposure warning

customizable/movable grids/guide / Just worth it on a tripod .

HI Dougpeterson, do not take it bad, but all those features you name it, are just for someone shooting on a tripod , and the price of a (phase one) system are soooooo old these days.

My opinion is that for the price of a phase one system ,I feel soooo limited ,and each time, have the feeling that phase one/hasselblad are way to overpriced for
what it brings, especially when you pay a huge amount of money for a system that is , slow , unstable , with no features, (like the screen of the IQ backs; are not even close to the canon 5d mark iii), no wether sealing at all!!! how come for that price ,at least that!!! very slow focus .....two batteries for one camera!!! poor, super poor ISO range.....and more,more reasons that make it a very very very very expensive product.
I feel that the only reason people stay with phase one is because of the software and this is a very bad way of choosing a camera these days

IMO ,the pentax 645Z is an almost perfect product /price/product just missing sync speed but nothing you cannot solve with ND FILTERS.

MaxKißler

- P1's color look when coupled with C1 / OK but could be better/prefer CANON

HI Dougpeterson, do not take it bad, but all those features you name it, are just for someone shooting on a tripod , and the price of a (phase one) system are soooooo old these days.

My opinion is that for the price of a phase one system ,I feel soooo limited ,and each time, have the feeling that phase one/hasselblad are way to overpriced for
what it brings, especially when you pay a huge amount of money for a system that is , slow , unstable , with no features, (like the screen of the IQ backs; are not even close to the canon 5d mark iii), no wether sealing at all!!! how come for that price ,at least that!!! very slow focus .....two batteries for one camera!!! poor, super poor ISO range.....and more,more reasons that make it a very very very very expensive product.
I feel that the only reason people stay with phase one is because of the software and this is a very bad way of choosing a camera these days

IMO ,the pentax 645Z is an almost perfect product /price/product just missing sync speed but nothing you cannot solve with ND FILTERS.
I wonder if you have ever used the P1 system. What do you normally shoot that you come to such a conclusion? Btw, Capture One Pro supports almost any camera so there is no need to choose a camera because of software...

iiiNelson

Handled the 645z today with the 33-55 lens. Nice camera and image quality seems to be pretty good. It's on the short list of cameras I'm interested in since they're importing new lenses again.

nenes

I wonder if you have ever used the P1 system. What do you normally shoot that you come to such a conclusion? Btw, Capture One Pro supports almost any camera so there is no need to choose a camera because of software...
I have an IQ 160 with a phase one 645df body and some LS lenses and that is why i come to that conclusion. CAPTURE ONE PRO supports almost any camera that is not MF .

stephengilbert

"I have an IQ 160 with a phase one 645df body and some LS lenses and that is why i come to that conclusion. CAPTURE ONE PRO supports almost any camera that is not MF ."

So based on your use of an IQ160 back you have concluded that C1 supports anything other than MF? I'd thought C1 supported the IQ160. Good to learn something new.