The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show Us Your Technical Camera Setup

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Alpa TC in use with FW 800 - FW 400 cable from FW Hub and battery pack on hip...captures to CF card in back. Laser Disto on belt for closer subjects.

Bob

Last edited:

bensonga

Any thoughts on what is the best technical camera to match up with the Hasselblad CFV back...size and format wise?

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

bensonga

Is the main purpose for using one of these cameras with a digital back to more easily stitch together photos (using the horizontal/vertical shift movements of the camera), whether for a panorama or just to get a higher resolution image file? That appeals to me, since I've been doing more horizontal panoramas recently (mostly with my 35mm DSLR) and would like to make the most of my 16mp CFV-II back (by combining both horizontal and vertical shifts).

The only real concern I have is taking the CFV back on and off the technical camera everytime I need to focus, recompose etc. I remember reading an article on Luminous-Landscape about the use of an Ebony 45SU view camera (which, by chance I also own) with a sliding back adapter which allowed you to focus and compose on the ground glass and then just slide the digital back into place. Is anything like this sliding back available for either the Horseman, Alpa or the Cambo DS/RS? Anyone using anything like this?

Here's a link to the LL article.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/digital-ebony.shtml

Finally, is anyone using something like the Linhoff M679CS? I think Marc Williams was using a Rollei technical view camera of some sort with a digital back.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Last edited:
P

parsnip_lee

Hi Andrew,

What are you using to mount the geared head upside down? I understand the Linhoff quickfix on top, but what are you using to mount through the manfrotto plate to the tripod?

Thanks,
Sean

jlm

Workshop Member
i used the vertical shift for perspective control and for stitching; horizontal for stitching.
i would put on the ground glass adapter, set focus and the shifts required, then replace the CFV and take the sequence of shots, using the scales to reproduce the shifts i had eyeballed

Paratom

This might be a stupid question but would a technical camera with a digital back only produce color casts when shifting and/or tilting or would it also suffer from this problem when using it without using the movements?
I ask because I am interested to also eventually use it handheld.
Thanks, Tom

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Tom,
It depends on the back and the focal length of the lens.
A wide angle non-retrofocus lens, which are commonly used on technical cameras, have very acute angles of incidence in the corners since the lens sits so close to the sensor. It is those acute angles that produce lens cast which is further exaggerated with a movement. The longer the lens, the less lens cast is produced.
-bob

Paratom

Tom,
A wide angle non-retrofocus lens, which are commonly used on technical cameras, have very acute angles of incidence in the corners since the lens sits so close to the sensor. It is those acute angles that produce lens cast which is further exaggerated with a movement. The longer the lens, the less lens cast is produced.
-bob
I was thinking about a 35mm lens with a Sinar54LV back.
Maybe a 24mm one day as well.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have no experience with the Sinar back, but I expect that it would show some lens cast with a 35mm and that it would be even stronger with a 24mm. With a P45+ I see some lens cast with the 35mm which SOMETIMES can be ignored without movements. With the Capture one software, and I expect that with most others, you can take a set of lens cast corrections at a few of your favorite apertures and shifts and then just apply them later. That way, you can get away without shooting a lens cast reference each time you release the shutter when shooting hand-held. I can usually get away with that when I am not shifting, but when I DO shift, I take a reference shot each time mostly since I can't remember during post exactly what movement I might have been using when the image was shot.
-bob

Last edited:

yaya

Tom,
-bob
And also on the design of the lens and whether it is retro-focal or not. I have a 28mm Rodenstock HR (retrofocal) that shows no cast whatever the shift is.

Some other Rodenstocks are also retrofocal. There is a price obviously ($$$, size and distortion).

Yair

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Is the main purpose for using one of these cameras with a digital back to more easily stitch together photos (using the horizontal/vertical shift movements of the camera), whether for a panorama or just to get a higher resolution image file? That appeals to me, since I've been doing more horizontal panoramas recently (mostly with my 35mm DSLR) and would like to make the most of my 16mp CFV-II back (by combining both horizontal and vertical shifts).

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Here is my setup for "one row panoramas" . It can easily be used by any other of my HASSELBLADS . All you need to do is , to find the nodal point and the angle you have to swivel the camera, to get a 25% overlap of the images .

View attachment 11698

But I also use my CFV back with my ARCA SWISS 6x9 F-LINE METRIC .
I am also very worried to put the back off and on again , and therefore I have two ARCA SWISS to HASSELBLAD adapter and the ARCA sliding back .
Sorry , I have no image of that gear yet . But it works fine .
The one adapter holds the HASSELBLAD standard screen adapter (3041057) and the RMfx viewer and the other one holds the CFV back .
Its not very handy for outdoor shooting , ok . But if you have time and a good backpack , and if you are willing to carry all that stuff , then it is no problem at all . This is valid for any other sliding back adapter and camera combination .
But it is a 100% fine for studio photography .

Jürgen