The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 500 phase one

Bjorkman

Hi,

I'm new here, just found this forum.

I consider my self to be a 6x6 photographer and do so a lot with my Hasselblad.

But when I'm in studio conditions and other places where I need digital I use a dslr thats soon needs a upgrade.

Thats when I started to think: maybe a refurbished phaseone P+ back would be worth it. Then my hasselblad would almost be the only camera I would use.
So that means using it for studio, landscape, street and any other type of picture I would take. In almost any weather condition.

So, I contacted a dealer and asked if the had any refurbished backs.
And they had a P40+ that they want 8130€ for.

And my question is, is it worth it?
For the same amount you get a really good dslr with extras.
But the only reason I'm considering a P+ back for is my love to 6x6 and the way too take pictures (and I know I wouldn't have AF and what not compared to the dslr)

torger

The boring answer is that only you can say if it's worth it.

For a Hasselblad V I'd look for a CFV-39 rather than a P40+ to get a little larger sensor area (for wides) and a lower cost. P40+ seems a bit odd on a V camera, but it will work of course. There could be some CFV-50 deals around too.

Getting a digital back for your Hassy V is worth it if you like to shoot with it, but in raw performance compared to say a D800 DSLR system it will be hard to justify when economy is a factor, assuming you know how to get good result from your DSLR already. At 40 megapixels it will be very much debatable which system that produces the better image quality too. I like the bokeh/look of the V lenses though.

Last edited:

bensonga

Unfortunately, since there are no full frame 6x6 sensor digital backs or cameras, you won't get the full "6x6" experience shooting with any of the medium format digital backs or cameras. You could go with a smaller square sensor back, such as the 16 megapixel Hasselblad CFV-16 or Phase One P20 backs, but then you lose a lot of resolution and each of these has a 1.5x crop factor re your favorite Hasselblad lenses. Of course, you can crop the larger rectangular medium format digital backs to a square image, but then you can do the same with a high end 35mm DSLR, such as the D800 etc. If you do decide to go with a digital back for your Hasselblad, the CFV-16, CFV-39 and CFV-50 have the advantage of not needing cables from the back to the lens.

Gary

Last edited:

tjv

There's a CFV-50 for sale in the buy sell section for less than that, although I think it's US ship only?

fotografz

Hi,

I'm new here, just found this forum.

I consider my self to be a 6x6 photographer and do so a lot with my Hasselblad.

But when I'm in studio conditions and other places where I need digital I use a dslr thats soon needs a upgrade.

Thats when I started to think: maybe a refurbished phaseone P+ back would be worth it. Then my hasselblad would almost be the only camera I would use.
So that means using it for studio, landscape, street and any other type of picture I would take. In almost any weather condition.

So, I contacted a dealer and asked if the had any refurbished backs.
And they had a P40+ that they want 8130€ for.

And my question is, is it worth it?
For the same amount you get a really good dslr with extras.
But the only reason I'm considering a P+ back for is my love to 6x6 and the way too take pictures (and I know I wouldn't have AF and what not compared to the dslr)
If you like the look and feel of your Zeiss MF lens and already own them, and like working with the V camera that you already own, then it is well worth it IMO.

Certain combinations produce a certain aesthetic, and the V camera with Zeiss lens and CFV digital back work well together. A CFV-50 will still give you plenty of resolution even cropped to a square. It is a classic set-up that is sort of timeless.

Good luck,

- Marc

PSon

When I read your post, I felt a connection since I am too have been a long time Hasselblad V shooter and in fact it was my first camera system when I started photography. Since then I have used many other systems and platforms but somehow the Hasselblad V system has always been one of my favorite camera system. Here is one of the Hasselblad V camera that I used from time to time with either a CFV-16 or a P25+ digital back. The image itself was taken with the Hasselblad 350mm F4 FE on the Leica M240. The lens was heavily stopped down to something like F11 or F16.

ChrisLivsey

A serious weakness in this argument is the street and ANY other part.
The combination of an ability to pixel zoom in and the Hasselblad V series mechanics is not a combination that responds well to hand holding at much below 1/250th which limits you given the iso range of these backs for optimum results.
A second is the almost any weather condition that is so not going to work. Have Hasselblad EVER made any weather resistant claims for the V series ? Much less with digital back on board.

Results are sublime and spoil you for any other digital but you need to work within the limitations. Limitations apply to any camera system.
I have appended a rather over pimped V set up with a Phase One back picture. Yes you can strip it down with a chimney finder and std. hood but it doesn't turn it into a DSLR (well actually it is but you know what I mean) for handling or speed of operation.
It is an as well as not an instead of system.

Bjorkman

Thanks for all the replies,

I've to sa I totally missed the CFV for some strange reason?

I know there is some cropping with DBs, but I can deal with that.

The CFV50 or 39 looks to be a better choice over the P40+
Is there any other difference between the 39 and 50 other then the megapixel count?
(Image quality and so on?)

I just got an offer from another dealer on a used P45+ back. 6495 pounds + VAT.
How is that compered to the CFV?

I looked at the CFV for sale here, and it was US only.
Any other tips on one of these for sale anywhere?

Lovely pic and Hassy there Pham Minh Son, the CVF looks great on the V.

When hearing you guys and giving it a bit more thought I feel that DB for my V is definitely the way to go, thanks again!

Bjorkman

Didn't see ChirsLivseys post before I posted mine.

So slower times with a DB is more sensitive then a ordinary film with same iso?

And I'm aver of the Vs own limitations in certain weather conditions, but as long as the back isn't a lot more sensitive then the camera itself.
(My Rollei Twin Lens and my V has seen rain, ice and what not and almost always done there part)

Actually they way I'm thinking in the "as well" and "instead of" department, is that I'm willing to take the cons of the DB V if the system isn't to overcomplicated compared to use the V with film, and of corse performs as well (or almost) as a dslr in image quality.

Thanks for your input ChrisLivsey!

bensonga

With the electronics in a digital back (which are generally not weather sealed or even "weather resistant") potentially exposed to the elements on a Hasselblad V camera, I would personally not use my 503CW and CFV-16II in rain, ice, snow conditions.

If you want to use your Hasselblad Zeiss lenses on a medium format digital camera in those kinds of conditions, I would suggest you give serious consideration to a Pentax 645D or the new Pentax 645Z. Those cameras are weather sealed and you can use your Zeiss lenses on them with an adapter.

See this link for one person's views on how a few of the Hasselblad Zeiss lenses perform on a Pentax 645D:

645D with Hasselblad V-System Lenses - PentaxForums.com

Gary

ChrisLivsey

Didn't see ChirsLivseys post before I posted mine.

So slower times with a DB is more sensitive then a ordinary film with same iso?
Perhaps not, but the examination at pixel level is not frequently performed on film which also seems more forgiving, probably due to the nature and distribution of the photosensitive sites in film? The moire problem is seen in the digital back perhaps for a similar reason?

Much as the emulsion depth in colour film blends, for want of a better description, the focus plane into the final image where the digital sensor is perfectly flat and unforgiving of focus "error" or lens curvature of the plane of focus.

I think the only waterproofing of a digital Phase One back is the Peli type Case they came (still do?) in. They are physically robust and temperature tolerant but the door for the card is not to Nikon D SLR standards of weatherproofing and the firewire port is uncovered, on these early versions, although a cover was (is?) available.

My best suggestion is to hire a back and have a go. If you tend to the CFV then you will know of:
Pro Centre - Canon And Nikon Cameras And Accessories For Rent

CFV-50 digital back £225 day rate

In the UK, given that Hasselblad is ubiquitous I assume that a similar facility will exist locally.

Bjorkman

Basonga, thanks for the tip, but the whole idea was to stick to the Hassy.
When it comes to weather conditions I can make a case for the camera and DB so it becomes more weather resistant. But I most appreciate the warnings and the input, it really helps me with the problems that can accrue otherwise.

ChrisLivsey, ok, now I'm with you were your going.
Perhaps thats something I can learn to live without or change to a film back in those situations(?). Or maybe have a small (or one legged) tripod with me...

Thanks about the renting tip, I've contacted Hasselblad in Sweden (where I am and live) if they know were I can rent/try/buy a CFV back.

fotografz

I'm a little envious … I loved the V camera with CFV back. Classic stuff.

If you have a moment, check out "Planet V" on the Hasselblad website.

Planet V - Hasselblad.com

I did a Planet V piece at Hasselblad's request back when I first got the CFV-16

Planet V - Hasselblad.com

I took that V/CFV back everywhere with me. Shot weddings, street, studio, travel … nothing really all that different from when I used a film back. If you are well versed in using the V camera, you'll do just fine. A 50 back may take a bit more care when shooting, but the V needs that anyway.

Best of luck,

- Marc

med

Ugh..... I just purchased an H body and will soon be purchasing an Aptus 22 for it. This thread is giving me serious second thoughts about my decision to do this instead of purchasing a CFV back for my 500 C/M!

I adore using the V bodies for personal work and seriously considered purchasing a 503CW, winder, and PME90 prism finder to get close to the H in terms of metering and vertical shooting with non-square sensors for non-personal work. The H system plus CF adaptor turned out to be considerably cheaper and ultimately seemed like the way to go for me.

I can definitely see a CFV back in my future though...

ChrisLivsey

med, It is a tough decision but the H3D39 (with film alternative) is less cost with std. lens than a P45 or similar back :eek:
Certainly the P45 is well regarded and the plain H3D is no longer fully supported but you get a big bang for your buck.
I'm, looking ;)

med

Chris I considered the H3D39 and 22 as well but the H3D's incompatibility with Leaf/Phase backs is what turned me off, as I think my upgrade path will be taking me that route. Very tempting though!