The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1/125 Flash Sync Speed...

kapil Syal

ok - once again my head is spinning ..
re: "" but i think for the OP's use of flash sync for now, would be to use ND filters and a combo of higher ISO. The Pentax is supposed to be very good at higher ISO's, so even at 800 iso with an ND should yield good results.""

why would one use ND And higher ISO ??
i thot the whole point of ND was to effectively Reduce ISO ..

(and this when i just learnt that using ND in flash/ambient combinations is for people with huge flash power ..)

love the learning experience of this forum. god bless

fotografz

HSS is also tied to the flash also, so I was thinking how it is achieved with DMF and Profoto gear?
As I understand it:

Up to 1/1600 Sync, using Schneider Leaf-Shutter lenses, DF+ body and the Phase One grip.

Profoto AIR features a proprietary triggering system that allows higher sync speeds … as long as the shutter speed doesn't exceed the t0.1 duration of the strobe at any given setting.

- Marc

pophoto

As I understand it:

Up to 1/1600 Sync, using Schneider Leaf-Shutter lenses, DF+ body and the Phase One grip.

Profoto AIR features a proprietary triggering system that allows higher sync speeds … as long as the shutter speed doesn't exceed the t0.1 duration of the strobe at any given setting.

- Marc
Marc, is this for all cameras?

fotografz

Marc, is this for all cameras?
Profoto AIR can be used on any camera with a hot-shoe, or can be connected to the camera via the PC flash outlet on any camera that has one.

While the sync speed can go very high when set to the Speed Mode, it still depends on the camera's maximum sync speed.

Focal plane shutter 35mm DSLR cameras are generally limited to 1/180, 1/200 or 1/250 sync. Focal Plane MFD 645 to 1/125 maximum sync.

Cameras using Leaf Shutter lenses have a faster maximum sync speed. Usually this was 1/400 or 1/500, and most radio transmitters like Pocket Wizard could achieve that.

The AIR radio topped that, and higher sync speeds were possible with leaf shutter lenses able to go higher … like with the H camera to 1/800 sync, Leica S with CS lenses to 1/1000, and up to 1/1600 with specific P1 cameras/LS lenses.

- Marc

Last edited: