The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Perfect tech cam companion ?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually I handled one they are pretty nice. Not sure its my style a all in one but was a nice cam and gets nice reviews.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
My tech camera companion is often an IR converted GF1. I sold my normal p&s GF1 probably too early. I found myself in a similar situation looking for a small lightweight companion that takes good pictures. Problem resolved: I met a cute redhead named Stacy. :ROTFL: (Sorry, no coffee yet).
I like Ken's recommendation! I'm all for it. :thumbs:

I considered the A7r approach and like a few others here I felt that it was a slippery slope that would have me lugging two full systems around in no time at all - and I've only just stopped doing that with my DF & Nikon outfits! The Fuji works for me although if it were practical I'd use my pile of expensive Phase One / Mamiya paperweights in a heartbeat.

The sad truth is that almost anything that I post from the field on Facebook for friends and family comes from my iPhone :facesmack:

Guy Mancuso

I'm in a different camp anything worth shooting regardless of camera I want high resolution solution anything under 24 mpx when doing landscape work is not worth getting out of bed for. Lol

I'm a lazy pixel peeping slut. Lol

PR work is something different. Don't want to be misquoted here

nikonf

I think it is an excellent question.
Imagine being able to use a Rodenstock HR-S or one of the latest Schneider lenses on the A7R.
Would be awesome.
Thanks,
Mike
Hey this may be a stupid question, but is there a way to use the tech lenses on a A7R?

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

You know there probably is a way to do it. Seems the rear exit is about the same distance as the Sony's but hey I don't wear a engineering hat so what do I know.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Similar predicament as OP. When carrying the tech, I don't have anything good for quick easy stuff (while waiting for the light) or something really light when that's what counts. I've tried several solutions such as G1x, but just never happy with what i can do with the files.

Also need to satisfy decent backup solution.

So, I have a new a7r along with the sony Zeiss 24-70 (not 28-70 kit lens). Ordering new sony Zeiss 70-200. Keeping all Nikon glass (14-24 nikon, 35, 50, and 100mm Zeiss, and 70-200 - unless new sony 70-200 is as good). Selling d800e.

The Sony with two sony zooms are 64 ounces. That's not quite half the nikon equivalent (121 ounces). They'll go along (sometimes with the 70-200, sometimes without depending on hike) with the tech camera for emergency backup, and all the stuff I don't get to shoot now. Or when out scouting locations it's small and light but good enough in case I stumble on to something. Or really tough hikes it's good enough with stitching to do some really good work.

The Nikon glass is in it's own case, and will work as a backup. If I don't want to take the tech or the back goes down, I throw the a7r in with the Nikon glass (which 70-200 will depend on how good the Sony is, but hoping it will be as good).

Too soon to say how happy I am with this, but just got back and used the sony some, and it wasn't bad. My biggest problem is my tripod ... the TVC 34 is as solid as it gets, but so heavy. Add the cube and pano mount and it's really an extra load. the 33 is only half a pound lighter so considering some other options, although not sure if there really is one that's solid enough for a tech camera.

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My perfect companion would be a voluptuous model.
Goes with just about any camera, besides, she can help carry gear.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Similar predicament as OP. When carrying the tech, I don't have anything good for quick easy stuff (while waiting for the light) or something really light when that's what counts. I've tried several solutions such as G1x, but just never happy with what i can do with the files.

Also need to satisfy decent backup solution.

So, I have a new a7r along with the Zeiss 24-70 (not 28-70 kit lens). Ordering new Zeiss 70-200. Keeping all Nikon glass (14-24 nikon, 35, 50, and 100mm Zeiss, and 70-200 - unless new sony 70-200 is as good). Selling d800e.

The Sony with two sony zooms are 64 ounces. That's not quite half the nikon equivalent (121 ounces). They'll go along (sometimes with the 70-200, sometimes without depending on hike) with the tech camera for emergency backup, and all the stuff I don't get to shoot now. Or when out scouting locations it's small and light but good enough in case I stumble on to something. Or really tough hikes it's good enough with stitching to do some really good work.

The Nikon glass is in it's own case, and will work as a backup. If I don't want to take the tech or the back goes down, I throw the a7r in with the Nikon glass (which 70-200 will depend on how good the Sony is, but hoping it will be as good).

Too soon to say how happy I am with this, but just got back and used the sony some, and it wasn't bad. My biggest problem is my tripod ... the TVC 34 is as solid as it gets, but so heavy. Add the cube and pano mount and it's really an extra load. the 33 is only half a pound lighter so considering some other options, although not sure if there really is one that's solid enough for a tech camera.
The 24 really does the job fine with a tech cam

yatlee

My recent trip: Linhof techno/IQ260 - Rodenstock 32, 40, 70, 90. For quick and more mobile shot - Sony A7r with Leica WATE, FE 35/2.8, FE 55/1.8 & a Sony Alpha 70-300mm.

The Sony articulating screen is really a nice feature to allow me to take shots that I would not normally imagine or compose.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
6.5 billion puzzled people have nominated me to ask the question: What are these "ounces" of which you speak? :poke:

Ray
LOL. But both the canon and sony US sites show US weight specs. So I didn't bother converting ... not that I would have -- too late to teach this old dog new tricks.

but to quote google conversion, the Sony with two lens setup is 1.81 kg, the Nikon with equivalent zooms 3.4 kg.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Wayne,

I'm normally schlepping around my Gitzo 5561SGT and Cube but I've taken to using a TVC-33 and Arca D4 as a lighter combination for technical camera use when hiking or traveling. The legs could easily be TVC-2 series with the D4 which saves weight compared to the Cube, still provides precision control, and definitely is a lot less top heavy than the Cube would be on the same RRS legs.

miska

It's quite interesting to note that the RX-10 is already ~0.8kg and a full A7R rig 1.8kg.
The problem for me is the long end - since a full frame 200mm lens tends to be on the heavy side.