The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Perfect tech cam companion ?

Don Libby

I agree with miska regarding LCD vs EVF. I find that I use the EVF more than 95% of the time on both the NEX-7 and A7r. It's nice to have that LCD when I don't feel like crawling on my belly or standing on a ladder but for me nothing beats the EVF for composing.

Sunchai

The quick set up have set to see what is the distance from the end of lens to the Sony A7 infinity focusing plane.
the distance is very close to 18 mm (+-0.1mm.)
Therefore , sony A7 will be able to working with the lens which have the distance from the end of lens - Focusing plane more than 18mm.
Sunchai.:)

Shashin

Just a screen ? You have to hold the cam with your arms straight, and that may not be the most stable configuration.
I don't hold my RX-1 very differently than many of my cameras--I certainly don't have my arms out straight (that is a tourist's technique not a photographer's). My elbows are tucked into my sides and the camera is about 12" from my face. I can, of course, hold the camera in many other positions from an eye-level camera. I have worked with so many different camera types that I am not particularly wedded to eye-level viewing.

However, I would not use it for really long lenses simply because tracking a moving object is trickier. But then I have never practiced...

miska

Somehow, the idea of using an A7R in crop mode is growing on me. At first, I though, no way I'm going to sacrifice so many pixels ! But then, most m43 cameras are 16 Mpix-ish, not so different from the 15Mpix of the A7R in crop mode. For the Sony, an attractive all around crop zoom could be the 18-200mm (probably not very sharp, but still ok). And the A7R takes also Canon FF lenses if needed.
Hmmm.

kdphotography

The Panasonic GM1 is a great little camera to pack along. My girlfriend has taken my GM1 under her wing, so the Sony A7r is looking to be the better tech camera companion for me. ;)

satybhat

If you weren't in need of a zoom and providing upto iso 400 is OK, the Sigma Merrills might make the list.
I had the DP2 and was well and truly astounded at the IQ. I think there is a thread on here as well.
The first time I saw a dp2 file, I was sold on the future promise of the line.
Colour accuracy can be a bummer sometimes though.

miska

I thought very hard about the Merrills. But they don't do it for me because:
1) I don't want a raw converter per camera brand. If it's not supported in LR, then I don't want it.
2) they don't provide enough focal length coverage, I'd really like something up to ~200mm FF equivalent.
If point number 1 was solved, I think I would still have a really hard look at Sigma though...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
happy news from Cambo.:D

Sunchai.

Ahhhhhhhhh

That awakes my mechanical passions .
A one axis goniometer stage in the front , a two axis linear stage in the back , two adapter plates and a WA bellow . :ROTFL: Starting tomorrow .:clap:

Uaiomex

Oh my!! I own an Apo.Grandagon of the same length. My copy (maybe all copies were) is digital grade. Thanks for sharing.
Eduardo

P.S. Is this the MF sub forum? Hard to tell! :ROTFL:

The quick set up have set to see what is the distance from the end of lens to the Sony A7 infinity focusing plane.
the distance is very close to 18 mm (+-0.1mm.)
Therefore , sony A7 will be able to working with the lens which have the distance from the end of lens - Focusing plane more than 18mm.
Sunchai.:)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have gone into the µ4T system right from the beginning . Panasonic .Today I use the GX1 as my companion . The only disadvantage I can see is , that my hands are too big for that little beauty . Often I also use the iPHONE .

miska

After thinking for a while, I finally bought an Alpha 7R and a Metabones adapter (for Canon lenses). It's a really small cam, not a lot larger then most m43 offerings (yes, they are smaller, some even really tiny. Actually maybe even a bit too small, but not *that* much). I will start by using my Canon lenses (they are actually bigger than the camera itself), and if I notice they are really too heavy, I can still get something like a Sony 18-200 and use the camera in crop mode (or even the Canon lenses and massively crop - there's some margin before getting down to ~16 Mpix, which is what you get on most m43).
Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions - this has been entertaining :)