The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss C1 Cube

C

carbonmetrictree

I'm guessing that Arca Swiss got the Cube passed for a patenet because their design is significantly different from theirs (in terms of shape, shifting knobs and the ability to shift each axis more than 5° and rotate the head 60°). My friends who have patented a few products have said that if a design is similar to another patented design, the new product must differ in functionality, and or have enough of a visual difference to immediately acknowledge that both products were made from separate manufacturers. It's kind of like digital backs, as they are all similar in shape, but they all have differences in the physical design and computer functionality.

I have been reading this forum for some time, but until now never really feeled urged to post something.

Regarding the Arca cube: Arca calims to have patents for it, but how can they patent a double goniometer for optical devices when another company already owns patents on that?
https://www.newport.com/store/genproduct.aspx?id=547470&lang=1033&Section=Pricing

Regards
Stephan

S

smei_ch

Then you talk about a trademark design, not a patent.
And in this case the functionality and construction are identical. If Arca has designed it to make 20 degrees versus against 5 degrees is absolutely irrelevant.

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks for the correction.

Then you talk about a trademark design, not a patent.
And in this case the functionality and construction are identical. If Arca has designed it to make 20 degrees versus against 5 degrees is absolutely irrelevant.

L

Leaf_NZ

This is the most beautiful head to use.
Once you use it you know why you sent all that money.
If you get it you will never go back.

The only thing that i can say against it, is the locking screw that you tighten the head to the tripod strips.

Other wise its the best

Chris Young
[email protected]

Dale Allyn

Looks like it's close to $400 cheaper than B&H...
That's what I was seeing, Don. A decent price (if you can call it that) for folks on that side of the pond. There may be others as well because of the reduced shipping costs, V.A.T., and duty, etc.

It looks like locals pay 15% V.A.T., but perhaps business users get a break. (?)

tashley

Subscriber Member
That's what I was seeing, Don. A decent price (if you can call it that) for folks on that side of the pond. There may be others as well because of the reduced shipping costs, V.A.T., and duty, etc.

It looks like locals pay 15% V.A.T., but perhaps business users get a break. (?)
I was wondering if anyone had tried the PhotoClam?

I'm not VAT registered and the Robert White prices do not include the mandatory 15% VAT but even so the Cube form them works out slightly cheaper than B&H BUT their website implies that they are not in stock....

I think the rational strategy for me is to get a better pod first, and try it with my frotto geared head (which is pretty precise) and then upgrade to a cube if that doesn't work. I am only 5' 9" and though I like to work at eye level, stability must be better lower, no? So I'll look into a Gitzo CF at my height range...

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Look at series 3 studex gitzos.
I find them adequately stable for MF.
I just ordered the GT3541xls to replace my older shorter studex which I sold.
Most of the time I don't need the extra height, but occasionally it is nice to have a longer leg or more for use in situations that are not very level. The only bad thing about it, if you can call it that, is that it needs a longish duffel to pack properly.
I tried the Manfrotto geared head, but I found that the cantilevered joints added play, so I ended up with a cube.
-bob

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Look at series 3 studex gitzos.
I find them adequately stable for MF.
I just ordered the GT3541xls to replace my older shorter studex which I sold.
Most of the time I don't need the extra height, but occasionally it is nice to have a longer leg or more for use in situations that are not very level. The only bad thing about it, if you can call it that, is that it needs a longish duffel to pack properly.
I tried the Manfrotto geared head, but I found that the cantilevered joints added play, so I ended up with a cube.
-bob
Thanks Bob,

Actually I was thinking the same thing: that cantilever, especially the top platform, does have a sort of rigid, reverberative, twangy sort of play to it that I think is best controlled in studio rather than outdoor conditions. It's just that the Cube is so astonishingly expensive and I personally dislike small manufacturers that rely on artisan mystique and silly prices to sell stuff that according to Jack's review were not properly produced, not returnable and have very slow customer service! I already decided not to buy an Arca camera because they didn't have a website on which I could check basic details! Still, needs must....

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
A heavy ball head is an alternative that is much more rigid.
Something like the BH-55.
Arca has improved the defects that Jack mentioned in his LL review, but I still can't figure out why the leather case. The lever clamp is also very good now IMO. A cloth bag would have served as well. I understand your point on the boutique style, and I was very reluctant to spend that much, but having done that, the pain passed quickly and now all that remains is the joy. I would not, due to its exposed gears, take it out in blowing sand.
-bob

Don Libby

I still have my Acratech ballhead for those times when I need very fast movements like shooting wildlife; it stays connected to my older, Gitzo GT2540.

We had some blowing wind and sand last week in Monument Valley and I used the Cube everyday without any problems with the exposed gear. I also used it in January both in the Redwoods and on a couple days at the beach where I had drizzle and slight sandy conditions. I also experienced gear failure when the top of my tripod separated sending my camera and Cube onto the sandy beach while I was returning to my car. All in all the Cube has stood the pressures of wet, windy, sandy, and stupid conditions without giving me any problems.

The neat leather container stays in my studio workshop where I'm now using it to collect quarters.

Just had this thought as I was about to close - I am willing to expose my gear to any type of conditions that I'm willing to expose myself to. If it's too harsh for me then I figure it'll be too harsh for my gear, otherwise we're out there together; then again I am a landscape photographer...

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agreed -- I buy my stuff to use it. And let's not forget, the exposed gears on the Cube means they are equally exposed for cleaning, which BTW is a breeze ;)