The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss C1 Cube

Don Libby

Don,
I always knew I wanted one, but since I was doing the Moab shoot, I thought that I might as well add a couple more pounds to my kit.
-bob
Not sure when Jack wrote his review on Luminous Landscape however I’ve lusted over the CUBE ever since then, has to be several years now. I kick myself every time I think of the money I would have saved had I just bit the bullet at the time.

A 35% increase in what 2 years? Wow what an investment.

Just think of the exercise you'll get. :ROTFL::ROTFL:

I'm just sorry that I've had my Redwoods trip planed so far out in advance to miss this trip, it’d be great to finally to some faces to the names; hopefully next one.

Last edited:

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Been lurking about on this thread and thought I'd mention that Jack convinced me to buy one a year or so ago, and am very happy I did. Built like a battleship and does pretty much anything as already discussed. My 2 cents is that I just called Badger Graphic and bought it. No waiting, they had it in stock....and it appears I've made money with the price increases !! :thumbs: Of course that was over a year ago, but it might be worth a call if you've recently robbed a bank !! :ROTFL:

Buy one, you won't regret it !
:grin:

jlm

Workshop Member
jack:

i've had the bug to make my own tripod head since the 70's. the cube, however, does not look like a moneymaker, despite the high price. it is extremely complex, demanding and extremely well made. the only improvement i could imagine would be a rapid function for each axis.

they could probably shave off some bucks if they ditched the Hermes quality leather stow bag ;)

E

ericstaud

So....is this actually worth $1,700? I'm using a Bogen/Manfrotto 410 flipped upside down, and have been happy with the results. My main issues with this head is the size and how each axis introduces a bit of vibration when using an ALPA 12 Max. Eric Staudenmaier gave me a quick demo of his, and it does seem a lot more efficient than this big, honkin Bogen head.
I still love mine Andrew. Had the 410 and after a few years it got too loose for me. The only thing the cube is missing is a geared pan on top. Can you get on designing one of those when you're done with the headphone amp?

C

carbonmetrictree

You know me too well, Eric. I'm actually thinking of putting your headphone amp into a redesigned Cube and include a bone conduction transmitter, so you can listen to your music silently while lining up your next shot. I'll also include an attachment for the 12 Max as a flip down LCD display so you can watch Luminous Landscape DVDs at the same time- The only way to rewind and fast forward will be to shift the x axis left and right.

I'm finding that the 405 and 410 are great to use. But, the arm for each rotational axis introduces vibration with the heavy Rodenstock 28mm HR on the Max. Even if it is minimal, I am noticing that some of my images are slightly soft with a 10-15mph breeze with everything locked down and using my body as a shield (long exposures).

The only issue I was worried about was rotating the Cube 90°, but I see now that you release the flip lock 60°, and shift over for the extra 30°.

I still love mine Andrew. Had the 410 and after a few years it got too loose for me. The only thing the cube is missing is a geared pan on top. Can you get on designing one of those when you're done with the headphone amp?

Jim- I forgot about asking Badger about availability. I'll keep that in mind once I get the balls to click the "add to cart" button.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Carsten, the "real" Cube is about 3" or 75mm on a side and weighs in at just over 2 pounds or about 1 kilo -- not much larger or heavier than a medium sized ballhead.

etrigan63

Hi
Somebody in Japan likes the Cube very much.
Cheers
Pedro

http://www.monthlyphoto.com/news/news_view.asp?m_seq=1&s_seq=373
Not Japan, but South Korea. The letters were Korean not any of the three alphabets used by the Japanese.

That, BTW, is a knock off that is made in Korea. It is by a company called PhotoClam and the model is called "Multiflex Head".

Here is a pic:

I am trying to get some pricing on that one, but I don't read/speak Korean.

Here is the manual such as it is. There is one shot there where they are just showing off.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Not Japan, but South Korea. The letters were Korean not any of the three alphabets used by the Japanese.

That, BTW, is a knock off that is made in Korea. It is by a company called PhotoClam and the model is called "Multiflex Head".

Here is a pic:

I am trying to get some pricing on that one, but I don't read/speak Korean.

Here is the manual such as it is. There is one shot there where they are just showing off.
There was an extensive thread on the Large Format Photography Forum regarding the C1 and Korean knockoff; appears that the knockoff goes for around $1,000 (2008 price I think I remember). Sorry but that’s the full extent of my knowledge on the knockoff.

don

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I have contacted them to get more information including an eval unit. I am thinking if it is built well and priced right I may be able to set up a group purchase for these units.
As soon as I get more information I will post it.
Best Regards,

Lance

C

carbonmetrictree

For copying such a prestigious head, I would think a company would use a better name than PhotoClam. Something like PhotoSwiss or Arclam would be more suitable.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
CopiedCube perhaps?
I just got my cube and it seems very nice.
I hope TSA will let me carry it on, since they refused (a long time ago) an exercise weight.
Now I might have to get a G1 since it looks like it might fit in the leather case, or maybe I will re-purpose it as a jewelry box for my bride :)
-bob

stephengilbert

I hope no one gets upset by this question, but how can someone who puts a copyright notice on his or her photos buy a Korean rip-off of the Cube? Or is this a licensed product?

P

Pedro Mendes

I posted that Korean link as a joke.Personnally,knock-offs are not my cup of tea.
Pedro

jlm

Workshop Member
the asian knock-off market is not my favorite either, the only way to beat it is make your product as long as you can then move on before it gets copied/made for 1/4 what you can do it for.
in my shop, i pay workers comp, un-employment ins., soc.sec, 401K contributions and top journeyman wages, as well as liability ins, etc; burdens that may not exist elsewhere

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I just got an email back from them that stated:

"Thanks for your interest in Multiflex but it is not available in the USA for sale."

I guess that tells it all.

Lance

Don Libby

Okay I’ll fess up, I order the CUBE!

After several years of procrastination I finally decided to order it this weekend sent in the order and it arrived here late yesterday afternoon, just in time for my shoot in the Redwoods. Instant reaction is that this beast is well made maybe to the point of being over-engineered; with very smooth movements.

The CUBE arrived in its rich leather bag – what the hell were they thinking? The bag itself has to be worth several hundred dollars. Anyway after stumbling around for a couple minutes I got the hand of it – actually really got to know it shortly after I read the four page set of instructions. Jack was correct, suck it up and buy it after just a couple minutes you’ll like it. I used to have a leveling base along with a ballhead attached and got “near” perfect leveling; I can get perfect leveling with the fine tuning of the CUBE.

I’ll post a couple images when I get the time.

Thanks Jack!:salute:

don

C

carbonmetrictree

I'm glad that this post has inspired folks to spend a couple grand on a head. I'll put my head on queue to be next in line.

Haha, my work is done here.

Okay I’ll fess up, I order the CUBE!

After several years of procrastination I finally decided to order it this weekend sent in the order and it arrived here late yesterday afternoon, just in time for my shoot in the Redwoods. Instant reaction is that this beast is well made maybe to the point of being over-engineered; with very smooth movements.

The CUBE arrived in its rich leather bag – what the hell were they thinking? The bag itself has to be worth several hundred dollars. Anyway after stumbling around for a couple minutes I got the hand of it – actually really got to know it shortly after I read the four page set of instructions. Jack was correct, suck it up and buy it after just a couple minutes you’ll like it. I used to have a leveling base along with a ballhead attached and got “near” perfect leveling; I can get perfect leveling with the fine tuning of the CUBE.

I’ll post a couple images when I get the time.

Thanks Jack!:salute:

don