The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss C1 Cube

stephengilbert

Speaking as an ALPA* owner, I feel I can say this: I think it's insulting to include the leather case with the Cube. I think $2000 without the case would still allow A-S to get by, and I doubt that many of the people who buy the Cube use the leather case to carry it.

* ALPA sells plastic lens and body covers for about 80 dollars each. A fair price might be twelve. I own one.

Dale Allyn

Right, Stephen. I think a reinforced Optech type of bag would be fine for most users. Heck get Tumi to make something for $90!

:)

That makes two Korean companies who have ripped off Arca Swiss designs... Markins being the first. Their ball heads are direct knock-offs of the Arca Swiss B1 ball head, right down to the tension gear on the large adjustment knob.

When I last spoke with Arca's US Rep she offered "that's why we have a legal team", whatever that implies, as Markins has been doing this for years. It would be interesting to see if both the Markins and Cube rip-offs are made in the same factory.

The design similarities are too close to ignore. I personally would never patronize any company displaying such a flagrant violation of patents.

Lawrence

D

DougDolde

Too bad Really Right Stuff doesn't make something like the Cube.

jlm

Workshop Member
could anyone summarize the gitzo pod lineup?

explorer, studex, mountaineer names are not so revealing
2 series and 3 series helps a bit, but where does my 1325 mountaineer fit in, for example?

tashley

Subscriber Member
could anyone summarize the gitzo pod lineup?

explorer, studex, mountaineer names are not so revealing
2 series and 3 series helps a bit, but where does my 1325 mountaineer fit in, for example?
I agree... and the only website that's worse than Gitzo's is Arca's...

Dale Allyn

Explorer is the "crane-type" 'pod that allows one to cant the center column at any angle. The legs are also infinitely adjustable, i.e. they are not limited to the three leg positions.

The Systematic is the line that allows a flat top without a center column, or can accept an optional column. It has somewhat broader shoulders because of this center "boss".

The Mountaineer is the more traditional leg set with the "normal" shoulders where the legs attach. They're more compact when folded in that the shoulder area is not as large around.

Not sure if that helps. A lot of us refer to the series' numerically, i.e. series 1, 2, 3, 5 in that it communicates the relative size and strengths. Normally this would refer to the part numbers in the 1Xxx series as "series 1", 2Xxx as "series 2", etc.

Edit to add this link: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/items.asp?Cc=TripodsGitzo&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=
It allows a simpler way to get a feel for the styles on one page.

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Explorer is the "crane-type" 'pod that allows one to cant the center column at any angle. The legs are also infinitely adjustable, i.e. they are not limited to the three leg positions.

The Systematic is the line that allows a flat top without a center column, or can accept an optional column. It has somewhat broader shoulders because of this center "boss".

The Mountaineer is the more traditional leg set with the "normal" shoulders where the legs attach. They're more compact when folded in that the shoulder area is not as large around.

Not sure if that helps. A lot of us refer to the series' numerically, i.e. series 1, 2, 3, 5 in that it communicates the relative size and strengths.

Edit to add this link: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/items.asp?Cc=TripodsGitzo&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=
It allows a simpler way to get a feel for the styles on one page.
So can a three series Mountaineer be had without a centre column as others here have suggested this might be more stable? Or does one have ot get the systematic? Me confused!

Dale Allyn

Yes, Tim, there is a three series Mountaineer. It has the larger leg diameter and the clutch-type grip on a center column. I don't recall if there's a column-free version. I've not looked.

stephengilbert

I'm prepared to be corrected, but (1) the center column on some (or maybe all) current Gitzos can be removed, and (2) I doubt that the mere presence of the column makes the tripod less stable. I'd think that as long as it isn't extended, the center column should not affect the tripod's stability. It comes off without tools, so you can remove it, or leave it on and not use it.

Jack?

Dale Allyn

Stephen, if one removes a column from a tripod intended for a center column, how does one attach a head? This is where the Systematic offers a mounting plate in lieu of a hole for the center column. I have seen regular length center columns and extra short columns, or the leveling base, but not a mounting plate for the models intended for use with a column.

Gets confusing to write out, and read, eh? Feels like I'm rambling here. Sorry. :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Stephen,
You are correct.
At least the mountaineer line has a removable center column, but more narrow shoulders. They are modular to the extent that in some cases longer and shorter columns are available, but they all tighten with the same clutch style device.
The studex line accepts a broader line of accessories with its more modular mechanism for changing center columns. The size of the center plate is dictated by the diameter of the video bowel type head mounts that are available. Other center column options include a leveling option, and different lengths of geared and clutch style columns.
The studex line is most stable with no column at all.
-bob

Dale Allyn

Bob, is there a mounting setup for the Mountaineer with no column, or just the very short column to replace the normal one? I've only seen it with the short column as a light weight and ground-hugging option. Maybe there's one that's just a couple of inches to attach. (?)

This is where I was getting hung up.

tashley

Subscriber Member
My read (and a quick look at B&H and RRS) is that the Mountaineer always has the center column, either "rapid column" or geared.

Here's a pretty thorough chart: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=GT3531&eq=&Tp=
Dale, thanks for your help. I'm still lost despite it mind you! Their model designations are very confusing and even their own graphic at the bottom of the link you posted does not tie in with their actual product codes!

Jack says he has the 3541XLS and I have found that same model at the top of the page here

http://www.parkcameras.com/c/81/Carbon-Fibre-Tripods.html?Page=3

But the model designation chart at the bottom of this page:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=GT3541LS&eq=&Tp=

has a description of an 'EX' LS but not an XLS...

Jack says he uses his without a column but the model number he quotes seems to have one in the descriptions I can find... my head hurts!

But thanks or trying to help... Gitzo should hire you!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
all of the short columns or long columns collapse to the same height which is dictated by the height of the clutch mechanism. The short columns are offered so that the tripod legs can be spread so that the tripod head be brought lower to the ground without the remnants of the center column extending beneath the clutch mechanism from striking the ground.
The STYLE of center column remains the same as when the tripod was bought, however with the studex, the style can be changed as well.
-bob

David K

Workshop Member
If you're still confused call David at Dale labs (or pm dfarkas on this forum) and he will explain it. He sells them all and is very familiar with their product line.

Dale Allyn

Tim, Jack and I have the same model: it's the GT3541XLS. The "X" denotes "EXTRA long", the "4" denotes four leg sections. I am thrilled with this leg set. If you have any questions or want see something specific on it let me know and I'll try to help.

The EX code usually refers to the Explorer series, which is that "crane-type" column model. And the chart does NOT show the "X" designation for Extra long.

HTH