The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss C1 Cube

jlm

Workshop Member
b&h had them in stock at 34th st a few months ago. probably still do if listed in stock on their web page. call to be sure, sometimes "in stock" means at their brooklyn warehouse

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I live near Boston, so I ordered mine on a Tuesday and it was here on Wednesday.
I think that UPS must have a direct truck from their warehouse to my back door since they are here so often.
-bob

jlm

Workshop Member
i have the (un?) fortunate experience of having my shop located within 500 yards of the B&H warehouse in the Brooklyn Navy Yard

LJL

i have the (un?) fortunate experience of having my shop located within 500 yards of the B&H warehouse in the Brooklyn Navy Yard
And a well planned "midnight visit" has not entered your head? :ROTFL:

Just kidding, but Guy's "ski mask" idea has become infectious :eek:

LJ

Dale Allyn

Sales tax can hurt for an out-of-town buyer picking a Cube up in NYC. The 8.375% amounts to something on gear in the Cube's price range (or higher). One could buy eight bottles of Hendrick's for the amount of sales tax. :D

jlm

Workshop Member
you could get around the tax (maybe) by having it shipped out of state after you fondle it and pay

BlasR

I order mine, 2/2/09 I got it next day 10:00 am for free.

Not bad.

BlasR.

I use the bag for my Remy martin, no one can see what is inside.

C

carbonmetrictree

I should have kept my big mouth shut...it looks like I'll be getting one in a few days :D

By the way, do you think it is possible to replace the quick release bracket from the head with my Linhof Quickfix II quick release system? I'd hate to purchase an extra plate just to mount my own QR system.

Thanks,

Andrew

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I should have kept my big mouth shut...it looks like I'll be getting one in a few days :D

By the way, do you think it is possible to replace the quick release bracket from the head with my Linhof Quickfix II quick release system? I'd hate to purchase an extra plate just to mount my own QR system.

Thanks,

Andrew
Andrew,

You aren't going to want to hear this, but as nice as the Linhof plates were in their day, the new defacto standard is the Arca-Swiss style, and the plates made by RRS, Wimberly and Kirk are simply superior to any other system. Thus, I would suggest that if one is going to spend for the Cube, they might as well spend for a new set of proper plates.

;),

C

carbonmetrictree

Has anyone found that their cube is off by a 1/2 to a full degree off? I just purchased it from B&H brand new and I noticed that when I rotated the top axis, the bubble levels would start to move as if the head was not totally level. I double checked this by putting an accurate level on my head and there is a level variance even when the head is zeroed out on the x and y axes. I'm really hesitant in sending it back to Arca Swiss because of their reputation in the customer service department...

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks, I forgot about them. They said that I can get the levels readjusted with a 1 week turnaround, pretty fantastic.

Andrew

I thought PrecisionCameraWorks had a good reputation, but I'd like to know if I've been misinformed...

jlm

Workshop Member
i put a precision machinist's level on my cube and it is out in both directions by about 1/2 bubble width. pretty easy to fix: level the cube with an accurate level, pry out the level vials, put in a drop of epoxy, replace vials, tweaking to get the bubble perfect before the epoxy sets.

stephengilbert

This is like a Leica forum: you pay a fortune, and then send the thing back to get it sorted out. Imagine what a Cube would cost with perfect levels....

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks guys. Yeah, I am pretty surprised and pissed at the same time. If you decide to purchase one of the most expensive heads for still photography, the thing should be up to standards- heck, my Manfrotto was more accurate than this head!

It's tough to be an elitist company if there is no consistency and accuracy in one's products, especially if the customers are aware of high tolerance Swiss standards.