The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aptus 22

mmbma

Looking at an attractive deal on a used Aptus 22. I like the fat pixels, and the form factor works for my alpa 24mm xl .

Anyone has any experience with this back? I hear that it's not compatibile with Capture one? How does it compare to P25/ P25+?

Thanks

Mm

foster_jb

Hi,

I have this back. I bought it 6 months ago. I can't comment as to a direct comparison with the P25/P25+. However, on paper, the reason I went with the Aptus is because:

1) You can zoom to 100% on the back to check your focus. This is not possible on the P25/P25+ as the screen is not adequate for this.

2) I had heard many great reviews about the Dalsa sensor in the Leaf compared to the Kodak in the p25. However, this seems to be very personal. All in all, I am very happy with colors and results on the Aptus.

Now, when it comes to long exposures, the P25+ beats the crap out of the Aptus. I can live without long exposures for my work. The longest the Aptus can do is 32 seconds; there is no way around it. That said, at 32 seconds noise can become noticeable.

And you CAN use the Aptus with Capture One!! It works very well. You must buy/have the Pro version though. It will not work with the DB version.

Moire can be an issue with all of these backs, but if you are going for fat pixels, you likely know this already.

All in all, I am VERY happy with my Aptus.
Foster

foster_jb

Sorry, forgot that another difference is that the "base" ISO on the Aptus is 25. I think it is 50 or 100 on the P25, not sure. I also like the lower ISO on the Aptus.
Foster

Sarnia

Do you use a centre filter with your 24mm XL? I'm about to get mine back from Schneider Kruznach after having it mounted to the Alpa mount.

I'm also wondering if the digital centre filter (by Nurizon) is any good.

Thanks for your input.

mmbma

Do you use a centre filter with your 24mm XL? I'm about to get mine back from Schneider Kruznach after having it mounted to the Alpa mount.

I'm also wondering if the digital centre filter (by Nurizon) is any good.

Thanks for your input.
Yes. I do use a center filter from Schneider. I have not tried the other brands.
I find it very useful to even out the vignette. You lose a stop but that hardly matters on a tech cam.

The lens' image circle is too small for my Aptus 12. I think it only has a 65mm circle.

weinlamm

It must be 60mm:
Tech Camera, Image Circle, Focal Length Equivalent

And you mean the older Aptus 22 or do you think about the newer Aptus II-5? I can't tell anything about the 22 - but I had the Aptus II-5 some time.

I think your Combo would be fine; I had it with the same 24 Schneider. With the Aptus II-5 (+CF) I nearly needed no LCC - only sometimes or if it was needed to get perfect pictures.

mmbma

Anyone had experience with a P30? I know it's a smaller sensor with a 1.3 crop. So obvious not one of those lovely fat pixel backs. what do people think about this one?

ondebanks

If your Alpa does movements, the P30 would not be a good choice - it has microlenses.

A P25 or P45 would therefore be better suited.

Ray