The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa SWA and STC

Thanks for the help guys, think I will end up with an STC hopefully by the end of the year, now I just need to research the best lenses for landscape work.

dchew

There are many good threads here. Sometimes searching in google helps by adding getdpi in the search string.

Several questions to ask yourself. Because this stuff is so expensive it is important to answer them long-term:
1. What back will you use? Currently the high MP backs limit your wide angle choices to Rodenstock, and Phase One's first CMOS back is also finicky with color casts so we don't know how much better this will get in the future. If you are going to stick with a digital back that is more forgiving on close exit pupils, that opens up a whole list of marvelous small and light Schneiders. The new Rodenstock lenses are retrofocus designs, so they have less color cast but are larger and have more distortion.

2. What will you shoot and how much will you shift and rise/fall? Defines your need for wide image circles (IC). If you stick to the STC, then 18mm shift each way (pano) is a 98mm IC. Most of the popular lenses will have at least a 100mm IC. Schneider seems a bit more "liberal" in their IC claims vs. Rodenstock.

3. How many lenses do you want to own, how many do you want to carry, and how far are you going to carry them? Today if I had to pick only one lens it would be the Schneider 60xl.

4. What is the widest lens you want? I think barring a particular interest in a specific focal length, this is a reasonable place to start and then gap up from there. Use the image circles to fill in gaps when necessary.

For example, I've never been a really wide shooter, so my widest is a 40mm. Many, many tech cam users love to shoot wider, and the 32hr is the gold standard for wides. A 40mm shifted horizontally 15.6mm in portrait orientation creates a wider 30mm equivalent 4:3 format. So as long as the subject stands still, my 40mm can act like a 30mm (18.5mm in 24x36 format).* But the Rodi 32 can go crazy wide (and is equally expensive)!

So I started with 40mm then went up ~ 30mm. 40/70/100/150. I don't recommend the Rodi 100 though; it doesn't shift much and mine is not all that good. I just placed an order for the SK 60xl and the Rodi 90hr. :)

But back to your original question. There are a few standouts:
Rodi 32hr
Rodi 40hr
SK 43xl
SK 60xl
Rodi 70hr
Rodi 90hr
sk 120
sk 150

There were rumors about a new sk 100, but I think those got squashed. :(

I'm sure I missed some, but at least my list is brand-neutral! I'm also sure others will chime in...
:watch:

Dave

*Note: my lens "equivalents" are based on a 54x40 sensor.

Last edited:

dchew

One important point I forgot above: If you are sticking with Alpa and you want to tilt, you have to get the short-barrel (SB) lens mounts. That limits you to Rodenstock on anything wider than 60mm.

Dave

Paul2660

I thought the SK100 was still coming, but more in the 2014 Photokina time frame.

I believe it's still a real lens, just was delayed by a huge overseas order.

Newest SK120, which was already mentioned may also be holding some back, but it needs the mount adjustment for the digital back, where as the 100 will not.

Paul

Thanks heaps for the info Dave, I will do some searches too! I don't shoot that often really wide but do on occasion and would like the option.

mmbma

the 24mm Schneider lens is a love or hate lens. I used to hate it, then sold it, then I think I love it want it back. Small image circle limiting it to a 40mp back , f8+ for best results, and you cannot shift. but the perspective is very dramatic if used correctly. (like the voigtlander 12mm on the leica)

Steve Hendrix

the 24mm Schneider lens is a love or hate lens. I used to hate it, then sold it, then I think I love it want it back. Small image circle limiting it to a 40mp back , f8+ for best results, and you cannot shift. but the perspective is very dramatic if used correctly. (like the voigtlander 12mm on the leica)

I agree - not a bad point and shoot!

BTW - we have one available in our inventory in the Cambo Lenspanel....

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

f8orbust

$5k - $6k for this lens ?? I bought one from Calumet in LA (in Cambo mount), what, four years ago (or thereabouts) for $2500. Maybe that's why they went broke :cry:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
$5k - $6k for this lens ?? I bought one from Calumet in LA (in Cambo mount), what, four years ago (or thereabouts) for $2500. Maybe that's why they went broke :cry:
It's not a $5-6k lens unless new. Ditto $2500 doesn't include the Alpa fee for the gnomes building their mount :)

thrice

I have both. Stitching with the STC is handy, but even on lenses with big IC (like the Schneider 35 XL) you will have significant falloff to deal with. I took the SWA to Iceland and did a bunch of nodal stitching which was easy enough.
Since the majority of the (paid) work I do with the camera is architecture I'd sell the SWA first.

Sarnia

It's not a $5-6k lens unless new. Ditto $2500 doesn't include the Alpa fee for the gnomes building their mount :)
I have the SK 24mm XL. I bought it unmounted and sent it to Alpa to have it mounted. The mounting is actually done by Schneider - or was, as they used the last special helical mount on my lens. This is something of a shame as I have another unmounted SK 24mm XL that I was hoping to have put on an Alpa mount.

Edit: My unmounted 24mm XL is actually on a Schneider electronic shutter release unit. I don't know much about these units so was hoping to have it removed and put onto a standard mount.

Last edited:

darr

I have the SK 24mm XL. I bought it unmounted and sent it to Alpa to have it mounted. The mounting is actually done by Schneider - or was, as they used the last special helical mount on my lens. This is something of a shame as I have another unmounted SK 24mm XL that I was hoping to have put on an Alpa mount.
I contacted ALPA last year about mounting my Cooke PS945 so I could continue to use it after I sold off my last 4x5" gear. They responded quickly and kindly, but said they could not do it. :cry: I eventually sold it to Richard Man so at least it has a good home, but sadly ALPA cannot mount all lenses.

mervynyan

I contacted ALPA last year about mounting my Cooke PS945 so I could continue to use it after I sold off my last 4x5" gear. They responded quickly and kindly, but said they could not do it. :cry: I eventually sold it to Richard Man so at least it has a good home, but sadly ALPA cannot mount all lenses.
I am in the same boat but haven't started the disposition of 4x5 gears yet, including some future classics by Thalman. Alpa can't mount any of them. Decision, decision...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm sure the answer is won't vs can't. They can all be mounted but you won't necessarily get the best from the overall system.