The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Usability improvements for IQ backs

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'd like a bigger timed release display with the option of having it beep at me when finished. I'm often shooting long exposures that extend beyond my screen timeout and so I can't use the second timer display on the IQ. (It blanks well before my exposure is finished). It would be great if I could dial in 30s or whatever time and have it count down and then beep.

/rant ...

On an IQ2xx, remove the stupid long exposure mode nag screen when I shoot at ISO 50 for more than 10 seconds! That one REALLY pisses me off. Yes, yes, I get it about changing to the long exposure mode but maybe, just maybe, I don't want higher sensitivity for my shot but I actually want it to take a long time without adding 16 stops of ND. Not only that, but the nag screen doesn't disappear and the exposure timer that I was watching count up is now no longer displayed. :mad::wtf:

/rant off

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you tip the screen after timeout the timer becomes visible again - without cancelling the exposure :)

Chris
That is certainly true but I make it an absolute, definite, immutable principle not to touch anything once the exposure has started. With 60mp, even on a long exposure, any touching of the screen will be bad, especially given my manual dexterity of a hippo :ROTFL:

miska

I would like to see a double (or triple) beep in case there is an error. Sometimes, I wait too long with a two shot cable, and get an error on the screen. Would be nice to hear it also...

Steve C

I hope someone from Phase One is watching! From the top of my long list for improvements to help fellow tech camera users:
Ability to set a wakeup delay longer than 4 seconds. Now the only option is zero latency which is too big a compromise to quality. 20-30 seconds would be plenty for timing waves crashing on the beach or other moving objects and not cook the back like zero latency.
Ability to enter EXIF data on the IQ back in the field for focal length, aperture, shutter (the back guesses wrong a lot), focus distance, filter, etc
At least allow color tag entry (more than 7 colors preferred) on the IQ back along with current star rating to allow coded entry of exposure data
Move the Format Card command off the first screen of the main menu. I have accidentally formatted a card full of images with multiple face touches of the rear screen. Also, on the new 2xx series, having the Wifi on / off button next to Format is crazy. How many times will frozen fingers hit the wrong menu item?
I agree with Graham that having the timer on the back be useful for timing long exposures would be ideal and with others that having two live view (or post exposure) 100% views to check focus with tilt would make life easier.

studio347

I agree with the need for_

the safety metal ring~ which will prevent many possible accidents.( please choose the right place and high quality mechanism as usual)
And the longer wake_up button delay options (such as 5, 10, 30, 60 Second..).

While waiting for the implement, is there any temporary_ good enough way we can attach the safety lanyard without the ring?

Last edited:

miska

While waiting for the implement, is there any temporary_ good enough way we can attach the safety lanyard without the ring?
I thought of a really cheap way, but haven't done it yet. A two sided sticky tape glued to the IQ and to a plastic ring found in a hardware store. I am just worried the tape will leave some residue and/or will be hard to remove. The back is not that heavy, so the sticky tape doesn't have to hold much weight anyway.

studio347

I thought of a really cheap way, but haven't done it yet. A two sided sticky tape glued to the IQ and to a plastic ring found in a hardware store. I am just worried the tape will leave some residue and/or will be hard to remove. The back is not that heavy, so the sticky tape doesn't have to hold much weight anyway.
Ha~
unless it can hold 10 times of the digital back weight, I don't think it's a safe way since there are too many variables involved in the tape method...
I mean it can be done with very thin and long gaffer's tape surrounding multiple times.. but too ugly :)

Last edited:

Pemihan

After using the IQ160 a little while there's one more thing that for me would be convenient.

When deleting images it would be nice if the "Delete Selected Images" confirmation also stated how many images like "Delete Selected 5 images" if 5 images were selected.

That makes it easier to make sure you haven't accidental selected more images than you intended.

Last edited:

f8orbust

Three suggestions:

1. A user replaceable clear glass filter over the sensor. If the user feels it impacts IQ they can shoot without it; if not they can leave it in place and avoid the $1500 charge that goes with replacing a scratched cover glass.

2. The ability for Phase One to automatically lock-down a DB reported as stolen (e.g. when the DB is connected to C1).

3. Perhaps the best usability feature of all - drop the price and get more users.

Jim

schuster

I realize it's "pie in the sky", but wouldn't it be nice to have...

1. Sensor dust removal or inhibitor.

2. Selectable internal image stabilization.

PeterL

How about rotating the sync/wake-up cable plug, so the cable does not stick out beyond the edge of the back at -45 degrees. It's the least optimal position and a constant bother. I'm just waiting for the cable to break at one point. This should not be difficult to do.

Cheers, -Peter

Pemihan

Yes I agree...
They probably made it that way to make it easier to get the CF card out, but I would prefer to have it pointing straight downwards. Besides making it less prone to breakage it would also make it easier to store the camera assembled with cables and all.

How about rotating the sync/wake-up cable plug, so the cable does not stick out beyond the edge of the back at -45 degrees. It's the least optimal position and a constant bother. I'm just waiting for the cable to break at one point. This should not be difficult to do.

Cheers, -Peter

Last edited:

Pemihan

Any news of a new firmware for the IQ backs?
There are several (easy made) improvements I would like to see.

Last edited:

Paul2660

I just noticed that 5.11.36 is out. It may have be en out for a while. From the read-me not to many improvements.

Paul

Pemihan

Yeah I got 5.11.36 loaded, but it still don't have any of these, in my opinion, pretty easily implemented improvements:

-A feature where you manually can enter the focal lenght you're using so it gets written to every file until you change it. The Leaf Aptus backs has this feature and I find it really handy and it shouldn't be so hard to implement in the IQ firmware.
And to be able to enter the amounts of shift X/Y in a image file after it's shot would be awesome too

-When deleting images it would be nice if the "Delete Selected Images" confirmation also stated how many images like "Delete Selected 5 images" if 5 images were selected.
That makes it easier to make sure you haven't accidental selected more images than you intended.

Paul2660

Peter

I too would love to be able to input t he focal length. Does this feature work on the Credo Leaf backs.. If so there should be in reason the IQ backs could not offer it. I remember it was offered on the older Leaf backs.

Paul